Opeth - "Death metal sound is over"

If there is one band that can get away with "changing" style (they aren't really changing, just eliminating one of many parts in their music) without changing name, its Opeth.

I lost the appealing towards opeth just like I lost the appealing towards arch enemy, haven't listened to them since anthems, the last album I liked from them... too bad if opeth dismiss the very core of its music, death metal made them what they're nowdays but oh well, even without death metal the music will be top notch, afterall, it's opeth... I'm just not that interested anymore.

If there is one band that can get away with "changing" style (they aren't really changing, just eliminating one of many parts in their music) without changing name, its Opeth.

yup

I guess Katatonia will be the heavier band on the upcoming US Tour. :D

Yea that's what I was wondering about, are they going to ditch all their heavy songs when playing live? That would be fucking retarded.

I go to Opeth shows for Blackwater Park, Leper Affinity, Deliverance, etc.... not fucking Harvest and Burden. :bah:

I guess eventually. But if they do that this tour people will do just like the metallica-fans did to HIM @ Stockholm stadion, throw their own shoes at them. :lol:
They will probably play most calm ones and throw in BWP and some other heavy stuff at the end. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty intrigued by all of that.
I actually loved Damnation, as an example, far more than Deliverance. I just thought the song-writing was more interesting on Damnation. And that, in the end, is all I care about with Opeth. If they deliver good song-writing, it will be awesome no matter what style they choose.

Katatonia hasn't done DM vocals in years and that band turned out pretty damn okay, right? I don't see this as the end of the world in the least bit.

Besides, there's always Bloodbath anyway...good enough for me.

Katatonias DM-days compared to Opeths DM-era is pretty weak, Kata never really reached the quality Opeth has.
I would not be surprised if BB either calls it quits, or start looking for a new growler for the next album, im not saying I think it will happen, but after this I wouldnt be surprised. Im certainly not taking Micke for granted in the band anymore.

Watershed is an excellent Dark Foresty Themed album, I don't get what is there not to like?

Ghost Reveries is still a bit better though.

i think even if i don't like the album, i would High Five them, at least they are not sucking cock like everyone and playing deathcore