Opeth family life

Metalloid

Dismembered
Jan 30, 2004
Southern California
I know it is really none of my business, but I always wonder what a musician's family life is like. Particularly in "extreme" genres such as death metal.

First of all, it is very cool that Peter and Mikael have gotten married (btw I wonder if their wives enjoy listening to their music?). But now that Mike has had a child, it strikes me as very interesting. I mean, death metal isn't exactly easy to understand (especially for a young child). I wonder when the time comes to show their child "what daddy does"?

What do you guys think?

Luz said:
I've read somewhere that Anna ('The Almighty's' wife) is a metalhead. He said that.

interesting. I guess that is just so hard for me to comprehend, because I literally know zero girls that listen to any of the music that I listen to.

by the way, I just had another thought. I picture little Melinda entering the studio while Mikael is laying down some death growls, and Melinda saying to her mom, "is daddy mad?" haha, I realize that she was just born recently, but some day that time will come.

Metalloid said:
interesting. I guess that is just so hard for me to comprehend, because I literally know zero girls that listen to any of the music that I listen to.

by the way, I just had another thought. I picture little Melinda entering the studio while Mikael is laying down some death growls, and Melinda saying to her mom, "is daddy mad?" haha, I realize that she was just born recently, but some day that time will come.

"Why of course daddy is mad! He's an angsty death metaller. Now go do your homework before I make you listen to Serenity Painted Death, MELINDA!"

"BUT I DONT WANNA DIE!!"

*little Melinda runs off to diligently pursue her studies*

Metalloid said:

I have the image of a normal life, I mean, kids are comfortable with their surroundings, i think Melinda will grow up seeing that as the normal, rather than the extreme or obscure.

Metalloid said:
I'm not suggesting that she is going to be screwed up or something, I'm just intrigued by this sort of thing

yes, but that's what i'm saying, i think that she won't go "is daddy mad?" or something, because she will be used to it.

She'll probably think of her dad as the cookie monster king who shalt smite all who oppose him with his superior writing and supposed carpenting skills.

Faaip De Oiad said:
yes, but that's what i'm saying, i think that she won't go "is daddy mad?" or something, because she will be used to it.

She'll probably think of her dad as the cookie monster king who shalt smite all who oppose him with his superior writing and supposed carpenting skills.

LMAO!!!!

Kudos to you sir for actually making me LOL. I nominate this for funniest post of the week. (Silent Song's 'did you rewire the dildo?' was classic too)

Elek said:
"Why of course daddy is mad! He's an angsty death metaller. Now go do your homework before I make you listen to Serenity Painted Death, MELINDA!"

"BUT I DONT WANNA DIE!!"

*little Melinda runs off to diligently pursue her studies*

lol, good one.

the very first time i interviewed Mikael (couple of years ago), he said this about family life:

- So when you go home, do you play guitar for fun or are you just like 'I really have to get away from it!'

Mike: Yeah I play guitar everyday pretty much, regardless, whether I'm on tour or not… but obviously I have a girlfriend back home, so by the time I'm back home I'm spending time with her and my cats…

- So how do you like the long distance relationship? Like I've done it before, over a year, and it never really worked for me. Do you feel comfortable with that? Like leaving and coming back after a couple of months - is that the lifestyle you like to-

Mike: You know, for me it's what I do and my girlfriend, she's a metalhead anyway - we've been together for 5 years and we're getting married…

- Congrats!

Mike: So it's… you know, she understands…

- So she doesn't tour with you?

Mike: Well, she'll come… for the US it's a bit hard, tough laws obviously. But for European tours she comes. It's not fun obviously that I'm away from home so much, well at least I hope she thinks that! [laughs] But in a way it keeps the relationship going, because when I do get back home, everything is… you know [laughs] I don't wanna be rude, what's it called? The sex is great! [cracks up laughing]

- So if you wanna settle down, have some kids, get married, some dogs, like you said some cats… do you see yourself still doing this even if you get kids, or will you just settle down at some point and not tour as much?

Mike: Well I'm in a band that's what I do, so unless I choose another profession, it's gonna be like this. As far as we're successful and we get off on tours and stuff…

- But do you see yourself like 20 years from now, still doing this?

Mike: It's so hard to say, you know… 20 years from now, it's a long time. I mean I can't see past the next day really.

Of course there are female metalheads, if there weren't Cannibal Corpse would have no prerogative to play "fucked with a knife" live.

I bet little Melinda will learn how to play guitar and growl, and have her own band someday or maybe even continue Opeth. :p

I didn't realise Mike was such a raging sex-fiend!

OpethNZ said:
i hope the osbourne kids arent anything to guage it by...

i thought about that, and it's different because they had such a high profile upbringing. that's all hollywood that has fucked those kids up, not the music

Metalloid said:
I know it is really none of my business, but I always wonder what a musician's family life is like. Particularly in "extreme" genres such as death metal.

First of all, it is very cool that Peter and Mikael have gotten married (btw I wonder if their wives enjoy listening to their music?). But now that Mike has had a child, it strikes me as very interesting. I mean, death metal isn't exactly easy to understand (especially for a young child). I wonder when the time comes to show their child "what daddy does"?

What do you guys think?

You'd be surprised, the one dude on MXtabs is like 34 and his daughter is 8 and she sat down and watched an Emperor DVD with him, little kids have odd tastes, lol.