if Opeth sang about Dragons ?

kollex

Autistic Superstar
Oct 16, 2002
somewhere
www.maxpages.com
Opeth are biggest death metal band in the planet maybe even the biggest extreme metal band on the planet (i seroiusly think might overtake CoF for popularity in the UK at leastin a few years they certainly rival them at least). non extreme metal fans often wonder why a band with 12 minutes songs are so popular
I believe its because their music hits people at deep yet mature emotional level. unlike the more popular "metal" bands who rely on a cheap fix of teenage angst, Opeth inhabit a higher palin of emotional existence. their songs hit at the lush and strained rianbow of feelings such as anger, love depression, alienation etc but do it in a refined and beautiful style

the question I ask is do you think they would have had the same sort of popularity if Opeth recorded albums which were muscally similar to stuff like MAYH still life blackwater park etc but had more pathetic lyrical concepts behinds such as fantasy, dragons, hobbits , swords, or even nu metal type lyrics instead. ?

I think Opeth is just genius how they put there songs together, I wouldn't wouldn't care what the lyrics are about, i mean I listen to Hammerfall and they are just gay(lyric wise) I don't believe Opeth have 12 minute songs, they just put 2 or 3 songs on one track and mix them together. Fucking awesome band. CoF is CRAP, why does anyone like them?

nataservant said:
CoF is CRAP, why does anyone like them?

their a stepping stone to better bands for most people. for the majority of newer extreme metal fans cradle was the first extreme band they were into (mine was Dimmu Borgir however). i think their popularity is to their mix of Black, Thrash and Gothic cheese plus prentinousness and shock value. still without them the amount of extreme metal fans around wouldn be a lot shorter. you can now see Opeth shirts in most shops which sell nu metal hoodies (before the only metal ones in their were CoF, Maiden and Slayer). their also well known to non metal fans as well. i think they will overtake CoF in popularity eventually though

I wish they said fuck more like katatonia and I think they should merge with Katatonia actually and be a supergroup called katatopeth-II or something and include techno bits and a little unusual elements like björk

Reactions: Karmic
That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

Opeth are successful because of what they did, and because it is so different. If their lyrics or music was different, I doubt they'd have broken to the surface of the metal scene in Europe.

Their lyrics are a big part part of my love for Opeth. Of course the music comes first, but Mikael can say some things so beautiful, or so aggressive, or with whatever emotion. It just fits the music so well. I think it's a huge part of the music. Even artwork is very important for me to like music, because I love the atmosphere that albums can bring. Lyrics and artwork are very important for that