The potential of Opeth calling it quits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moonlapse said:
Oh I get it now, since I'm the moderator of this forum, I'm not allowed to speculate on the band's future, much as has been many times in the past, without complaint, mind you.

I'm not spreading any rumours. Where do you get this from? Is there an invisible footnote on my initial post that I'm unaware of? This thread is mere conjecture, and it's a topic that's been worrying me more and more as of late.

The racism thread was a valid discussion towards the end. It's a given that associating Opeth with racism is ludicrous, and I honestly feel sorry for the folk that wanted the thread closed because they felt it offended someone. It sort of reminds me of those Christian Fundamentalists who want new movie releases banned for superfluous reasons.

Dorian made a point before. Mike actually did come on here and say something along the lines of 'bring it on' because he felt it was humorous to see the sort of bullshit people make up about Opeth. It was a discussion for fans... it hardly hurts Opeth's market for potential new labels, and I really *really* doubt it's making Mike and the guys cry themselves to sleep at night.

About 'trolling'... dude. Have you read through any internet slang dictionaries? How long have you been surfing forums? I'm speculating... based on bands before Opeth who have broken up under similar circumstances, or at the very least lost significant members. Who are you to try and discredit what I'm saying simply because there are no 'official' pointers?

Speaking of pointers, here's one to you. Band's don't release official statements saying 'oh yeah guys, we might be breaking up in 2 months... stay tuned'. Dysfunction happens privately and more often than not you'll hear about a band's break up on the day they do, or days after. They are hardly going to advertise the fact that they may openly.

I only found out here that you went over my head about the racism thread. But that's fine, if you feel you needed to, that's all the justification required. I will however *NOT* stand for this sort of slander. You seem to be trying to bring me and my position into disrepute, yet you have no idea of how long I've been here, how well entrenched I am with this community nor why I was elected moderator here in the first place.

@dorian: About the inconsistencies. I'm really sorry if you and many other people feel that way. But I really have to stress again that it's really hard to moderate a forum when not working under any concrete guidelines.

It's always possible to go back to how things were and I'll solidly delete anything unrelated to Opeth. You'll find it's alot more consistent when working under those sort of solid ground rules. But do any of us really want that?

Trialing this new system where we allow loosely off-topic material isn't very easy. Because who is to say what's 'loosely' off-topic and what's 'very' off-topic. But my policy right now is that I try not to touch any threads, as much as possible, giving people as much freedom as possible provided that their threads aren't directly slandering/trolling etc. etc.

If you guys want me to work under a concrete set of guidelines, like the ones stickied at the top of this forum, please I implore you to message MetalAges or Opeth.com and tell them to provide me with them. Right now I'm working off my own discretion, and judging by how much more brightened up the board has become since shedding the 'strictly off-topic' rule, I'd say I'm not doing as bad a job as some of you would make out.

For God's sake though, please don't slander me off to Opeth and Deron and try to discredit me because you have some sort of personal dilemma. I honestly can't stand that as a person, because it lacks integrity.

By the way, thanks for derailing the thread.
1. You had baseless info, based on your own agenda. That's spreading rumors. Speculation is based on direct info, no matter how small this artifact is.
2. Religious discussion has no place here especially because it took a personal turn, perpetuated by you. The site owner agreed. The irony of you being reminded of "Christian Fundamentalists" by someone wanting an end to an endless discussion that was barely based in facts and more in personal attacks. It is also curious how you made the comment of "Christians", in particular.
3. More support that you were spreading info that was baseless, ie. made up by you.
4. Again, more support that you have no info that has lent itself to your insecurity of Opeth breaking up. Simply put. Stop living the "what if" and enjoy them until they're done, if they decide to quit. You have no info pointing to them teetering on the edge of a break up.
5. Slander and libel has a component of malice to it. There was no malice, nor is there still. I'm stating facts.

The quote from the site owner was, "I don't like where this thread is going". He thought he should contact you first and I agreed. Simply put, there were attacks that didn't follow the site's guidelines, were not Opeth related, and were being perpetuated by you. Religion is a subject that no one will win on and that was proven in the thread.

I don't care about how long someone's been here, I don't have an agenda, I don't hate you, yadda yadda. I didn't like what direction the thread went in and I felt you were ineffective as a moderator.

If you'd like to discuss this, please PM me. I'm not trying to go to war.

sknight said:
I didn't like what direction the thread went in and I felt you were ineffective as a moderator.
Maybe he thought that just you not liking it wasn't enough, you're not alone on this board. I liked the thread, and I like this one too. :)

sknight said:
1. You had baseless info, based on your own agenda. That's spreading rumors. Speculation is based on direct info, no matter how small this artifact is.
2. Religious discussion has no place here especially because it took a personal turn, perpetuated by you. The site owner agreed. The irony of you being reminded of "Christian Fundamentalists" by someone wanting an end to an endless discussion that was barely based in facts and more in personal attacks. It is also curious how you made the comment of "Christians", in particular.
3. More support that you were spreading info that was baseless, ie. made up by you.
4. Again, more support that you have no info that has lent itself to your insecurity of Opeth breaking up. Simply put. Stop living the "what if" and enjoy them until they're done, if they decide to quit. You have no info pointing to them teetering on the edge of a break up.
5. Slander and libel has a component of malice to it. There was no malice, nor is there still. I'm stating facts.
solid points. yet, like moonlapse alluded to, his guidelines are frail to non-existent. during the "opeth-only" phase, he was an excellent moderator. so excellent, in fact, that several of us stopped posting here as a result of the extreme boredom. the forum became the same topics over and over again.

I came back to see what was going on, and was happy to see it had loosened up a bit. I acknowledge that with such ephemeral guidelines, moonlapse is going to be inconsistent. I think we have all told him so when he is, and I don't think there is much of a problem.

I think the racist thread was pretty boring. It was nowhere near the wit and originality of Tunimetal's thread from this past summer.

I think this thread was fairly thoughtful....until you derailed it. It's much better than the threads we used to have like, "what cereal did mike eat this morning?" We elected Moonlapse as moderator and for the most part, we feel he does a good job. When he doesn't, we let him know. My suggestion is to relax a little bit. Forums aren't meant to be taken so seriously.

Cheers.

I don't think it will cause the end of Opeth.Of course sometimes they must go on short tours or cut them,but we must respect them no matter wha\m/

How is it baseless? He named another band who lost a member to similar circumstances as those of Mike and Peter. If you want to split so many hairs, I say that's a perfectly valid base for what Moonlapse is saying.

Rumor is usually hearsay, which is not present here, and rumor usually details an actual event that will occur. This thread was completely speculative and based on opinion only:

Moonlapse said:
I can see this becoming a distinct possibility

I'm really starting to have doubts

It makes one wonder

Absolutely NO certainty here, no actual event that is being rumored. Just 'what-if' and 'could.'

Shadows Skulk said:
How is it baseless? He named another band who lost a member to similar circumstances as those of Mike and Peter. If you want to split so many hairs, I say that's a perfectly valid base for what Moonlapse is saying.

Rumor is usually hearsay, which is not present here, and rumor usually details an actual event that will occur. This thread was completely speculative and based on opinion only:

Absolutely NO certainty here, no actual event that is being rumored. Just 'what-if' and 'could.'

FUCKING EXACTLY, What the fuck is it with people putting words into Moonlapses mouth??!

Agenda? Hes a fan of Opeth, big fan, seen them live, hes the mod of their official forum for fucks sake i see no reason for him to have an agenda, if so what the fuck is the modivation. watching you cunts trhough mud at ever fucking possible chance maybe ???? WHAT THE FUCK DOES HE HAVE TO GAIN FROM THIS PEOPLE!?!?!

Think about it for one second, actualy think, i know the guy personally so its biased but that aside, why and how would he have any reason to start rumours, i think the only possible way for this thread to actually start rumours is you bright bunch reading this but not actually understanding it, and then run off crying yelling "OPETH ARE BREAKING UP, DADDY COME TOUCH ME SO I FEEL SPECIAL!!!"

You bunch of spaZtics, the cunt is like breaking protocol just so your dumb ass's dont have to be bored here after Opeth.com told him anything off topic from opeth is to be deleted but nevertheless here we are, Lets hope we never meet at a gig one day because ive trained as an Australian Infantrymen and i can express myself alot better in person :wave:

Fuck these cunts Moonlapse go back to the NAZI OFF TOPIC DAYS, these cunts fucking ruined it for all.

dorian gray said:
disagreed. moonlapse doesnt live in mikes basement! no one here is taking anything anyone else says as gospel. i find it disturbing that sknight sent emails over moonlapses head regarding some of the topics here. doesnt anyone find that the least bit ridiculous?

Very ridiculous. Anyhow, I don't know why they would just stop playing because they have kids. As other people said, they may tour less, but I know of bands that have their wife and kids visit them in certain cities along a tour, so thats a possibility. I can't really see why they would break up anytime soon (but this thread is a good ploy in getting Mikael to respond and reassure us all).

Shadows Skulk said:

The application of Pavlov's dog doesn't work here. There is a larger scope. Let's see...Evergrey has married members in it, and Tom is married to Carina. All the guys in Dream Theater are married and have children. They also put out more than a half dozen albums a year across all the members.

In fact, I can think of a large proportion of groups who are in the same age bracket as Opeth and they haven't broken up because of marriage. That's why the premise was silly. Pavlov's dog theory would have pointed in the other direction that there is little correlation between break ups and married members. Simple logic would have integrated the premise and made it clear that marriage has not caused the break up of the vast majority of groups out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.