OPETH Frontman: 'We've Never Jumped On Trends Or Chances To Make Money' - Sep. 5

opeth_evan

Brother of Metal
Jul 24, 2003
In case you guys haven't read this yet:

OPETH frontman Mikael Åkerfeldt recently spoke to Decibel magazine about the making of the group's new album, "Ghost Reveries", and the band's decision to sign with Roadrunner Records, among other topics. A couple of excerpts from the interview follow:

On "Ghost Reveries":

"I'm psyched, very happy. I've been working on this record for ever three months. This new album has the potential to become my favorite. Probably because from the beginning we were more meticulous, it's more finished overall. In the past, we sort of just threw everything together and then were like, 'Oh, we'll just fix that later.' For previous albums, no one knew the songs but me, but for this album we were well rehearsed. I got the feeling when I listened to these songs in the mix that stuff was happening all the time — just pow! pow! pow! pow! Which is what I wanted! I want the album to be one of those records that you listen to once and you're like, 'What was that?' And you have to listen again — and with the long songs I don't want people to be bored."

On how a jump to Roadrunner Records will affect OPETH's loyal fanbase:

"[Roadrunner's] a big label; I'm sure they will help us, but for a band like us, we have to be really careful. We have a credibility that we've earned from over 15 years of playing together. We've never jumped on trends or chances to make money, so in the eyes of our old fans, this tour [the recently completed Sounds of the Underground tour] is probably like our sell-out moment. I want us to maintain that credibility, but I'm not stupid. I want to play in front of as many people as possible while maintaining that credibility."

On having to compromise for the sake of radio/MTV airplay:

"I would love to do a single. We have this soft song, you know, a ballad, and I was thinking, 'Maybe that could be the single?' Because it's short and it's good! But the rest of the album is all heavy.

"You know, it's really weird talking about a single when you have ten-minute songs! And that are heavy! [Roadrunner] want us to do edits, which I understand, but it's going to suck! They obviously want to do a video, and have a specific first song ready for airplay [the interview was conducted before the band shot a video for 'The Grand Conjuration' — Ed.], but I don't like people tampering with my songs! But I'm not stupid. I know that no one's going to play a ten-minute song and, as I said, I want people to hear us. Even if they hear a shitty three-minute edit, it's better than nothing. I'm probably going to hate it, but if that's the only way for a band like us to reach out to new people, then I guess that's the way it is."

Discuss!

Face the music people - they have SOLD OUT. The only thing heavy on the record is about 2 mins of Ghost of Perdition and the fact that Mike is the best growler on the planet.

The other day I was at my local metal store and saw tonnes of mallcore kiddies with brand new Opeth tee's on.

While all of this stuff is good for the band and their career, the music itself has suffered.

However, there's also a flipside... Metal is making a MASSIVE comeback: the other day I dropped in on a friend who runs her own clothing design business, and she had a European fashion magazine which I was flipping through... and GASP! - I saw two reviews of metal albums in that mag!

While Opeth are becoming mainstream, it's good for the genre as a whole.

//shrugs

if you think they sold out, that's completely your opinion, there are absolutely no facts. Opeth was never about heaviness in the first place as you can tell on there first two albums, with lots of clean and slow melodies.

I personally think Ghost Reveries is absolutely brilliant, and right now I am listening to it more than the new Nevermore album I bought recently. I like all kinds of metal, from progressive to thrash, from Symphony X to megadeth, to dream theater, to pain of salvation to, death, to necrophagist, to nevermore, to whatever else is out there, and I cannot see Opeth selling out at all.

The only song that bothered me before I heard this album was TGC, because I thought it was way too repetitive and sounded like they might've lost their focus, but I was absolutely wrong and Perdition blew me away the moment I heard their Opeth-esque melodies.

I'm glad Mikael is making whatever music he wants as long as he personally claims he won't be selling out. I'll believe him unless he actually does sell-out, and right now, I honestly don't see that happening.

The Hubster said:
Face the music people - they have SOLD OUT. The only thing heavy on the record is about 2 mins of Ghost of Perdition and the fact that Mike is the best growler on the planet.

The other day I was at my local metal store and saw tonnes of mallcore kiddies with brand new Opeth tee's on.

While all of this stuff is good for the band and their career, the music itself has suffered.

However, there's also a flipside... Metal is making a MASSIVE comeback: the other day I dropped in on a friend who runs her own clothing design business, and she had a European fashion magazine which I was flipping through... and GASP! - I saw two reviews of metal albums in that mag!

//shrugs

This seems to be a joke post.

Why are bands not allowed to get big or popular? Why cant mall-kiddies wear Opeth T's? If they like the albums, whats their fault? Its like bands aren't allowed to have any fucking aspirations these days. Opeth are still playing their unique sound of melodic progressive death metal (or whatever), its not exactly as Orchid and Morningrise were, but why should they be? Then you'd see band getting ripped for being repetitive and uncreative.

Do as you wish opeth, the worlds your oyster. You haven't disappointed this fan yet.

The Hubster said:

//shrugs

I fucking hate kids like you, Opeth is NOT MAINSTREAM OR SELLING OUT. They're music is still beyond any other band on the shelf and the new album is incredible. Mallocore kids wearing opeth Tees. I am confused already. Oh shit! Kids are starting to like good music! what's happending? The usa is getting smarter I don't believe it! I can't let this happen! :Smug:

meh, on topic, that entire interview has a tone of mike trying too hard to convince himself he didnt do something to alienate his original fanbase. we can argue till we're blue in the face whether or not opeth was underground, when they stopped being underground, blah blah blah, but the fact of the matter is they are now definitely *not* underground. they accomplished this by signing to a large label, going on a shit tour like sounds of the underground, and succumbing to the worst band photos of all time. sadly and annoyingly, growls or no growls, opeth simply arent metal anymore.

I don't care if they are considered just a rock band, or a jazz band, or a fucking pop band, as long as the music sounds like this, it's fine by me. who cares about all these labels?

if, for years, you listen to a death metal band who plans on putting out a new "heavy" album with a "black metal vibe" and it turns out to be a prog rock album, youd care about those labels. for the simple reason that the album was mislabeled by the band, or roadrunner or whoever. misleading sales tactics. yeah, its a great album, but i thought i was getting a *metal* album. i see your point though. you just happen to not be disappointed with GR. if you were, i think youd have more to say.

i suppose I would be disappointed if I was hoping for an extreme black metal album (which of course, was what Mikael said he was "thinking" about doing). I have always been more interested in their progressive rock side than their metal side, so I guess it worked out well for me

Black Rain said:
I fucking hate kids like you, Opeth is NOT MAINSTREAM OR SELLING OUT. They're music is still beyond any other band on the shelf and the new album is incredible. Mallocore kids wearing opeth Tees. I am confused already. Oh shit! Kids are starting to like good music! what's happending? The usa is getting smarter I don't believe it! I can't let this happen! :Smug:

Firstly, unlike you, I finished school eleven years ago and uni eight years ago. Secondly, this "kid" has loved Metal since I was 11 years old (1986).

GR (imho) is below standard in comparison to what they have produced in the past. In comparison to what many other bands are doing, yes, it is of higher standard. But in comparison to albums like MAYH and SL, GR is akin to fruit juice with 8% real fruit!

And what the hell are you talking about USA for? I didn't mention them once in my post. Cut down your red cordial intake and do your homework.

If you're going to retort, I suggest a more constructive post next time with some thought into it.

dorian gray said:
... that entire interview has a tone of mike trying too hard to convince himself he didnt do something to alienate his original fanbase. we can argue till we're blue in the face whether or not opeth was underground, when they stopped being underground... but the fact of the matter is they are now definitely *not* underground. they accomplished this by signing to a large label, going on a shit tour like sounds of the underground, and succumbing to the worst band photos of all time. sadly and annoyingly, growls or no growls, opeth simply arent metal anymore.

Dorian, I couldn't agree with you more. You've hit it right on the head. Good post mate.

dorian gray said:
if, for years, you listen to a death metal band who plans on putting out a new "heavy" album with a "black metal vibe" and it turns out to be a prog rock album, youd care about those labels. for the simple reason that the album was mislabeled by the band, or roadrunner or whoever. misleading sales tactics. yeah, its a great album, but i thought i was getting a *metal* album. i see your point though. you just happen to not be disappointed with GR. if you were, i think youd have more to say.

Again, I agree 110%.

(Whether anyone cares I don't know) but as a fellow fan when it comes down to it, let me explain a bit more.

Lamentations is released, I watch the DVD countless times. For the next 1 and a bit years, I'm expecting a very dark, brutal album, with Akerfeldt possibly using his older vocal style of Orchid/Morningrise (after all, it's akin to Black Metal shreiking), and more darker subject matter. Less of the Damnation-style prog (as he said himself, "it was a one-off, we wont be making Damnation Part II").

The wait ends, GR emerges. And what does it sound like? DAMNATION PART II. NO BLACK METAL INFLUENCES AT ALL: can anyone hear (earlier traces) Bathory, Burzum, Immortal, Ulver, Deathspell Omega, Emperor, Enslaved etc etc?

NO. And anyone who says they can is obviously 14 and has no idea what Black Metal is because they havent heard any and couldnt identify the Black Metal characteristics if they heard them just beforehand. If you want proof, go listen to Enslaved's "Frost" album and then listen to GR. Where's the Black Metal?

As I've said in posts "at that other forum", GR is a great prog album, but a bad metal album. And what I was expecting was a METAL album. There's barely anything dark about GR. GR is about 25% metal and 75% prog.

Indeed, the direction of growth Opeth are taking is not one of metal, but rather one of prog rock. This is OBVIOUS.

Good luck to them, they do it well. It's a shame they (seemed to) abandoned their metal roots for more accessible music to (I speculate) gain sales.

For my Metal, I'll no longer turn to Opeth (unless listening to older LPs). I'll turn to Opeth for prog because that's what they now are.

The Hubster said:
NO. And anyone who says they can is obviously 14 and has no idea what Black Metal is because they havent heard any and couldnt identify the Black Metal characteristics if they heard them just beforehand. If you want proof, go listen to Enslaved's "Frost" album and then listen to GR. Where's the Black Metal?

Sorry to stray off-topic but I listened to Isoders Dronning (off frost i believe), and was stupefied by its' headache inducing qualities. The vocals sound like he's trying to clear his throat the whole time and are so distant and distorted, and whats with the drumming between the 4 an 5 minute mark?? He's just smacking the same drum over and over as fast as he can. :ill: How could you not have a migraine after listening to this? I'm just having trouble seeing its appeal (besides maybe the atmosphere it gives, like being in a bat infested cave). Yeah I've been looking for a place to say this for awhile. :p

P.S. Hurray for Prog!

- (Earlier) Black Metal was characterised by deliberate lo-fi production quality on recordings (see the Emperor-Enslaved split for an example, also early Immortal, Burzum and Darkthrone).

- Black Metal vocals tend to be a high shriek, as opposed to the more "harnessed" sound of lower growled death metal style. If you found Grutle's vocals on Frost tough, listen to Varg's vocals on early Burzum! LOL. It takes time to get used to, but once you do, there is an appreciation you can get from it. I actually find it quite cool now.

- the repetitive drumming is known as blastbeats. It takes it's influence from punk (as Black Metal does overall anyway ie the musical style is influenced by punk). The master of blastbeats is Trym from Emperor, that man can blastbeat faster than anyone else!

Blastbeats can be pretty funny actually - when I first got into Black Metal (now my favourite genre, mostly second generation BM), I found blastbeats hilarious and it was hard for me not to burst into laughter. Mind you, some Black Metal bands are just too awful and deserve a good laugh!

Immortal took blastbeats are turned them into something really interesting though: see the "Damned In Black" and "Sons of Northern Darkness" albums. Blastbeats in short bursts sound really brutal and powerful, I think they're more effective this way. On the other hand, the latter Emperor records had amazing blastbeats in them, but the constant presence of them went well with Ishahn's symphonic ideas (see his work on Peccatum as well).

In summary - Black Metal isn't as easy to digest, certainly took me a while, but once you can appreciate it, you'll be amazed at some of the bands who have extended the Black Metal foundations and branched out further (see [later] Borknagar, Solefald, Peccatum, Arcturus, Naglfar, Negura Bunget).

I really feel that later generation Black Metal is where all the growth and experimentation is right now, there's some really exciting stuff going on.

Hope this info is handy:)

Trym is the drummer on "Frost".

Scarlett, you've just taken a dig at one of metal's most revered drummers.

As for "GR", it's growing on me (it's a good album). I can understand how people are pissed, though, after expecting it to be brutal, dark and more metal than Rob Halford's steal-plated cock. And the band is definitely courting the mainstream, but nobody should fucken care.