OPETH Frontman: 'We've Never Jumped On Trends Or Chances To Make Money' - Sep. 5

Another thing that kind of bothers me is that in the updated bio on opeth.com, he says that no one from the band really read the contracts that they signed with RR, so who knows what kind of "creative control" RR will have from the next album forward?

reading legally binding contracts isnt really that important. everyone knows this.

I past up a used copy of this disk at zia. Still Life, is my favorite of their albums. This is a disappointment from his comments on the DVD. Just the fact that he mentioned that they would do something that would be the heaviest thing to date because of how Damnation turned out, thats what I was looking forward to. Not this prog/Dream Theater shit interspliced with growling....

Lykis

steel102 said:
Another thing that kind of bothers me is that in the updated bio on opeth.com, he says that no one from the band really read the contracts that they signed with RR, so who knows what kind of "creative control" RR will have from the next album forward?
I think if RR tried to mess with their music Mike would simply discontinue Opeth.

can't believe some of you guys. the only sub-par song on GR is The Grand Conjuration, while the album actually rules. I think it is a real challenge to close-minded metalheads of turd, in the case of GR - it deffinately divided the fanbase: open-minded musiclovers and all-metal-turds. who cares if you've listened to metal since 1986? that's just sad, broaden your taste. I could listen to charles mingus and then nile, it seems some people are suffocated by their own limitations.

Its true guys.
You can love or hate the album. I love it, but they have.. sold out. Look at Narrots sig. 'The heaviest thing since Slipknot..' What the fuck? :err: How embarrasing!! RR are going to sell them out. I LOVE Opeth.. im a huge fucking fan. Loved them since MAYH, and good on them for making money for what they love doing! I think thats great. They are still one of my fave bands, but GR is different. It's still Opeth, you can hear that, but it's different at the same time.

D'oh, Narrot's sig is a fake.
As for it sounding different, would you want them to be the Cannible Corpse of Death Metal? Their sound has changed, but a change to a more progressive sound does not equal selling out. The new album does not sound more commercial than any of their others. Christ I hate metal fans, even though I am one.

Man In Black said:
D'oh, Narrot's sig is a fake.
As for it sounding different, would you want them to be the Cannible Corpse of Death Metal? Their sound has changed, but a change to a more progressive sound does not equal selling out. The new album does not sound more commercial than any of their others. Christ I hate metal fans, even though I am one.

Narrots sig... opps. My bad. Haven't been here in a couple of years. :tickled:

I never said GR sounds more comercial than their other albums.

Why are you saying you hate me? Because I voiced my opinion and you don't agree with it?

An old member said:
Narrots sig... opps. My bad. Haven't been here in a couple of years. :tickled:

I never said GR sounds more comercial than their other albums.

Why are you saying you hate me? Because I voiced my opinion and you don't agree with it?
But, it seems to me, that the music would have to be commercial for anyone to even consider them selling out. Have you considered the possiblility they might be popular because they're good, hm?
Also, I never said I hate you specifically, just metal fans in general, those who can't keep an open mind and call everything less than heavy sell out.

The Hubster said:
If the album DIDNT sound more commercial, this kind of discussion wouldnt even be taking place!
That's the point. It doesn't sound commercial. This discussion shouldn't be taking place. If you think it sounds commercial you need your head checked.
Commercial metal these days = rehashed slayer riffs, screaming, and crappy solo's. Listen to Lamb of Gord or Slipshit. Now listen to Ghost Reveries. See the difference????
I'm not defending GR to the death because I'm a fanboy (although I am), I'm defending it because calling it a sell out album is fucking ludicrous.
Now piss off.

^ Totally agree. I wonder how many people would be spouting off that Opeth were selling out had they gone with a less commercial label, GR is fucking awesome Opeth, better than Blackwater Park at least, and a step in the right direction.

I really wish Opeth had signed with another label, anyone rather than freaking roadrunner, what was wrong with Katatonia's label (either peaceville, or century media)?

You're getting defensive Man in Black? Well The Hubster has a point, if GR wasn't a remotely sounding commercial album for Opeth, then this discussion wouldn't be taking place...

aestusmaris, you can't possibly believe that GR is better than BWP?

And just for the record, I'm not saying that this album is a sell out album.... (refer to my last post)

:)

you naysayer punks make me sick
you scrutinize everything about the band except the music, and if you ever do comment on the music, it's by holding it to improper standards (its not metuhl enuff!! oh no!)

bottom line, GR is great music, and any moronic pseudo-iconoclastic 'criticisms' are worthless and tiresome

Shadows Skulk said:
you naysayer punks make me sick
you scrutinize everything about the band except the music, and if you ever do comment on the music, it's by holding it to improper standards (its not metuhl enuff!! oh no!)

bottom line, GR is great music, and any moronic pseudo-iconoclastic 'criticisms' are worthless and tiresome

Well said my friend.

@amaranth: GR destroys BWP