OPETH Frontman: 'We've Never Jumped On Trends Or Chances To Make Money' - Sep. 5

Okay then, lets just say "it's great" because we are mindless, and "it's great" because it's Opeth, and they never do wrong...

It's great to hear your insight shadows Skulk, such a contributing post :Spin:

amaranth said:
Okay then, lets just say "it's great" because we are mindless, and "it's great" because it's Opeth, and they never do wrong...

That would be true if they hadn't made Deliverance.

amaranth said:

It's great to hear your insight shadows Skulk, such a contributing post :Spin:

or we could pretend I said something I didn't, then sarcastically attack it and look like a complete moron

hmm. let me evaluate the situation....

1. opeth has made the best record to date...
2. most of opeth's hardcore fan base of retarded wannabe elitest morons hate ghost reveries...thus i dont have to worry about them screaming stupid shit at shows anymore...
3. oh wait....the above 2 is all i ever wanted...

NineFeetUnderground said:

2. most of opeth's hardcore fan base of retarded wannabe elitest morons hate ghost reveries...thus i dont have to worry about them screaming stupid shit at shows anymore...

but...but....it's not heavy enough :cry:

Seriously though, it's definitely their best album of the decade.

The Hubster said:
If the album DIDNT sound more commercial, this kind of discussion wouldnt even be taking place!

Thats a cheap argument, but id need to read plato's republic again to properly pick it apart.

Sounding commercial pertains to a person's reference point, i.e. its all relative. If your comparing to some ultra underground metal band than yeah opeth are commericial, but if your comparing to past opeth records (the proper comparison) I can't see for the life of me how the MUSIC is any more commercial. Is prog mainstream again?

Man In Black said:
But, it seems to me, that the music would have to be commercial for anyone to even consider them selling out. Have you considered the possiblility they might be popular because they're good, hm?
Also, I never said I hate you specifically, just metal fans in general, those who can't keep an open mind and call everything less than heavy sell out.

MIB, I love the album, okay? GOP and Harlequin Forest are wicked songs.. but it IS softer.. no doubt about it, right? And at the risk of repeating myself.. I LOVE THE ALBUM. :yell: And mikaels vocals are at their best yet.
I am a fucking huge Opeth fan. One of the biggest in Australia.. and I know it. There are riffs that are simple, catchy.. easier to listen to. It is softer. Opeth have catchy riffs in other albums too but it's catchy in an Opeth way, not a main stream way. Does that make sense? I don't expect you too agree with me, just understand what I am saying.

"Have you considered the possiblility they might be popular because they're good, hm?"

Fuckin' oath.. one of my all time favourite bands. Broke my neck center front stage at both gigs.. Im a hardcore fan. Thats why I can see the changes in them.

What is a sellout? In your opinion.. and forget opeth and this thread... if you were too look it up in a dictionary, what would it say and mean to you?

*Licks MIB's cheek cuz she can* :p

Ok, someone please please please explain this to me, because it's really irratating the hell out of me, and I want an explanation.

I don't like this album. Sellout/NotSellout aside, I don't like it. I listen to everything from Lamb of God to Ayreon to Foo Fighters (fuck you). Well, actually I'm glad I listed that. I like their album, it's not the greatest stuff, but it's nice for a change. If I told you that you were close minded because you didn't dig that album, it would be stupid and a moot point. You would call me a poser because I listen to it. By the way, I'm 26 years old, I play 3 different instruments and I can program what I can't play. I've been playing music for 11 years now. If I don't like this album, why am I close minded?
Answer that for me.

I play bass in an indie-rock band, I do vocals and play guitar in an industrial-dance-metal band, and I'm writing what I consider my own interpretation of a follow up for Deaths Design, explain to me why I'm close minded....

Lykis

P.S. I don't want this to turn into a flame war. I don't want to hear "because you suck." Thats not going to work or get us anywhere. We are all relatively intelligent metal loving beings. Lets please do this calmly and constructively. Thanks.

Man In Black said:
Just because someone's over 25 doesn't mean they can't like metal. :Smug:
Also, just because you look "normal" doesn't mean you aren't a metalhead. Metal doesn't require a costume to go along with it.

I know, and you are absolutly right, what I meant was merely that a woman on 35 or something, isn´t exactly the average Opeth listener, and that surprised me.

Please get your facts straight you ignorant pieces of shit.

1) Mikael made the comment because "fans" figured he sold out when signing RR. It's not insecurities, it's retalliation. He feels he hasn't done anything to fuck up his credibility in any way, so it's completely justified. How can one sell out by staying true to their art??? Ok, so because you didn't check into the facts and let yourselves down, you're not only going to dislike the album because it wasn't built to your imaginary criteria you built up around a brainstorming session Mikael had before writing the songs, you're going to call them sell outs for it? Please, choke on the taco sludge from your mother's rectum.

2) I've been hearing little bits of, "oh... it sounds too pop cuz mikes vox, lol" ok, but now that someone sings with much more confidence and overall better in a technical point of view... it becomes pop? Do you people hear your own bullshit? I really hope so and that you all choke on it while reading this. "Oh, it's not ok to sound better, if you sound to good, it becomes pop." I see people here have a problem with being open minded... and when singing becomes too "good" (whereas more effort is put into it) it get's unfairly labeled to a genre which is frowned upon by the labelers because of "similarities." Plz die, k thx. Seriously, you faggots are trying to look for a reason to pigeonhole Opeth into sell out because they've signed to roadrunner. Look, he didn't even sign to RRR for the money, but to have the album available everywhere and be more accessible to people. Because you despise that they're on this label, and the "incredulous word on the street" is they've sold out, it ended up sticking around, that nasty buzz word, and still made it's way into the vocabulary of "close minded folks" with the release of this album. Roadrunner had nothing to do with the making of the record, all they are there for is spreading their good music to people. Had it been any other label, this wouldn't be happening (at least at this degree). Hell, it wasn't even this bad when D2 came out, and that's their most "out there" release. Had it been their Roadrunner debut album, however...

Look, there's no denying the sheer talent put into this record. Songwriting is diverse and very mature, talent over-all is the best it's ever been, but just because it doesn't "sound" a certain way, you're going to dismiss it as art? Hey man, to each his own, but I don't have much respect for pieces of shit who aren't open to the music out there, especially since there's alot of talent and soul on this album. At least have the decency to respect the album, rather than spitting on it and calling Opeth "sell outs" for this sound they're experimenting with.

And with that, I'll end with a "fuck you"

NineFeetUnderground said:

Word.

ænimated said:
Thank ye.

Mikael wouldn't be commenting on 'selling out' if he wasn't insecure about it.

Or maybe he commented on it because of fags like you posting "sell out" all over internet because you can't understand the new album.

Get a new hobby.

Botfly said:
Please get your facts straight you ignorant pieces of shit.

1) Mikael made the comment because "fans" figured he sold out when signing RR. It's not insecurities, it's retalliation. He feels he hasn't done anything to fuck up his credibility in any way, so it's completely justified. How can one sell out by staying true to their art??? Ok, so because you didn't check into the facts and let yourselves down, you're not only going to dislike the album because it wasn't built to your imaginary criteria you built up around a brainstorming session Mikael had before writing the songs, you're going to call them sell outs for it? Please, choke on the taco sludge from your mother's rectum.

2) I've been hearing little bits of, "oh... it sounds too pop cuz mikes vox, lol" ok, but now that someone sings with much more confidence and overall better in a technical point of view... it becomes pop? Do you people hear your own bullshit? I really hope so and that you all choke on it while reading this. "Oh, it's not ok to sound better, if you sound to good, it becomes pop." I see people here have a problem with being open minded... and when singing becomes too "good" (whereas more effort is put into it) it get's unfairly labeled to a genre which is frowned upon by the labelers because of "similarities." Plz die, k thx. Seriously, you faggots are trying to look for a reason to pigeonhole Opeth into sell out because they've signed to roadrunner. Look, he didn't even sign to RRR for the money, but to have the album available everywhere and be more accessible to people. Because you despise that they're on this label, and the "incredulous word on the street" is they've sold out, it ended up sticking around, that nasty buzz word, and still made it's way into the vocabulary of "close minded folks" with the release of this album. Roadrunner had nothing to do with the making of the record, all they are there for is spreading their good music to people. Had it been any other label, this wouldn't be happening (at least at this degree). Hell, it wasn't even this bad when D2 came out, and that's their most "out there" release. Had it been their Roadrunner debut album, however...

Look, there's no denying the sheer talent put into this record. Songwriting is diverse and very mature, talent over-all is the best it's ever been, but just because it doesn't "sound" a certain way, you're going to dismiss it as art? Hey man, to each his own, but I don't have much respect for pieces of shit who aren't open to the music out there, especially since there's alot of talent and soul on this album. At least have the decency to respect the album, rather than spitting on it and calling Opeth "sell outs" for this sound they're experimenting with.

And with that, I'll end with a "fuck you"
Absolutely./..... hey people, its fuckin music, grow up.

Saphira said:
What is a sellout? In your opinion.. and forget opeth and this thread... if you were too look it up in a dictionary, what would it say and mean to you?
Metallica.

The only way Opeth could sell out is if metal is the next big thing, which it never has been, metal has always been popular but its never been a major trend to like it. Opeth i agree are a very listenable band, but for someone who is looking for a trend i think they need the music to be a bit more accesible, which opeth certantly isnt. Opeth is for the listener that needs something more interesting to listen to. i personally feel that ghost reveries certantly holds my attention more so than deliverance and damnation, and for that im pleased. if Opeth is to go commercial for this album, they deserve it, as this is what commercial music should be like.