OPETH Frontman: 'We've Never Jumped On Trends Or Chances To Make Money' - Sep. 5

Jchappie said:
I don’t see how anyone who has followed this band can objectively look at Opeth’s new album and say it’s not a step back from what they’ve done in the past.

Wow, I must be an anomaly.

(funny how Mikael once said that adding a keyboardist usually means the downfall of a band). Also, I thought Opeth always said occult lyrics were a metal cliché and they’d never do them?

What Mikael said was 'when bands want to sound different, they add in a new keyboard player or something. We're still trying to explore the guitar'. Not sure how you equate that to meaning 'keyboards = downfall'.

Might want to cite some sources for these 'quotes'.

...and is WAY overproduced

... Is this in contrast to 'Deliverance'?
It seems every nuance on the album is designed to do nothing more than top everything else they’ve done and display their technical prowess a la Dream Theater.

Well s'cuse me for being totally oblivious to it for the past 30 or so listens of the album I've done, but you might want to point out to me where I can hear the generic shred, or any sort of technical prowess being shown for its sake alone.

Look, I'd keep going and make a cohesive argument out of this, but its 1:41AM, I just came back from spending 12 hours with teh soundcrew at a Leo Sayer gig, so I'm beyond knackered... might check this thread again later on today.

Jchappie, I can't believe what I'm reading... I would call you a total retard but I see I'd have to point it to more people than yourself I guess... SO_FUCKING_WHAT if they DID edit a song for the radio and want to actually GET PAID for a concert! Oh, I know, why don't they DONATE what they've earned this way to have some help for your poor brain that doesn't understand that people don't live off thin air...

Now read carefully - THEY_NEVER_PLAYED_FUCKING_HEAVY... Ok, got that? In fact, most of their first two albums, which were very good I think, were mellowed out metal, if they released it today it would cause a SHITSTORM of allegations against them selling out... But, since they were not so famous at that time, you idiots call it - uncompromising! Now I do admit GR is mellower than BP or Deliverance, but it's certainly not mellower than Still Life... And if Still Life was released now you would have said the same thing...

The bottom line is that you either like their new album or not... I understand you might not like it, think it's shit, etc...

But please, before you call them sell outs, get your head out of your ass and actually listen to it... Promotion is one thing, and the music there is another... Use your brains people and learn to divide that stuff...

Jchappie said:
Alright, I normally just lurk in this forum but I had to post my 2 cents for this one. I’m hoping this can be a civil discussion, and I don’t want to start a flame war, but I mostly agree with the Hubster and BlackWaterNymph regarding Ghost Reveries.

Opeth has been my favorite band now for awhile now, but I think they reached their creative peak in the late 90’s/ early 00’s with albums like “Still Life,” “My Arms, Your Hearse,” and “Blackwater Park.” Ghost Reveries is very good, don’t get me wrong, but I think it is their weakest album to date. I don’t see how anyone who has followed this band can objectively look at Opeth’s new album and say it’s not a step back from what they’ve done in the past. The music is softer and more accessible, the lyrics are a throwback to the pre-signing days, and the entire album is flooded with keyboards (funny how Mikael once said that adding a keyboardist usually means the downfall of a band). Also, I thought Opeth always said occult lyrics were a metal cliché and they’d never do them?

It sounds counterintuitive, but I think the band rehearsing this time was actually detrimental to the recording. The whole album seems too contrived (again, the keyboards) and is WAY overproduced. They’ve overdone it on Ghost Reveries. It seems every nuance on the album is designed to do nothing more than top everything else they’ve done and display their technical prowess a la Dream Theater. But music is more than just technical ability- it’s about emotion. I still remember the first time I heard “Blackwater Park” – by the time I got to “The Drapery Falls” I actually had to stop for a few minutes because I couldn’t believe what I was hearing, it was so…flawless. I had never heard music that good before. Same thing with MAYH- it had a somber, eerie atmosphere that was sending chills down my spine by the time I heard “When.” But Ghost Reveries hasn’t elicited any such response, even with repeated listens. It sounds uninspired, like the band is just going through the motions to sell records. A large portion of Ghost of Perdition sounds like “The Grudge” from Lateralus, Hours of Wealth sounds like a pop song, and The Grand Conjuration seems to be geared toward metalcore kids. Though, to be fair, I do like The Baying of the Hounds and Beneath the Mire.

I’m not calling them sellouts, but I would like to point out that the comments I’m seeing from older, longtime fans on here (and elsewhere) sound very similar to the discussions circa 1991 when the Black Album came out (or, for the younger fans, when Reroute to Remain came out). Mikael may have a point when he’s tired of people calling him a sellout, but when you play a concert with Korn, sign to Roadrunner, make a ridiculous video, edit songs for radio, go on a tour with metalcore dreck like Killswitch and Devildriver, take cheesy “hardcore” promo photos, trash your own masterpieces like Morningrise while touting GR as your best album ever, and say you don’t care about money just before saying, “we don’t pay to play…we get PAID to play.” …come on, what do expect people’s reaction to be? Sheesh.

If this album were by any other band I probably wouldn’t be complaining. It’s just that I was so impressed with Opeth’s previous albums that I almost scoffed when I heard this. I’m not sure whether they sold out or that they accomplished so much that the bar has been set too high.

Quoted for general principle, and because I agree with a few things...

But I don't see GR as a step back.

If an artists says something offhand in an interview years before an album is recorded about what that album might sound like, THEY MUST ADHERE TO THAT STATEMENT AT ALL COSTS OR THEY ARE SELL OUTS!

Am I the only person that doesn't want to hear an Opeth black metal album?

Wow, this board should be closed again. Damn, most Opeth fans really ARE goddamn stupid. Selling out - with prog, right!

If they signed with inside out or something, there'd be much less bullshitting regarding the album.

Sure, it is different from the previous albums, but so were all the others, except for Deliverance. If Damnation was recorded after the band signed with RR, there would have been much more idiots claiming they sold out because Damnation is much proggier than GR. However, it was recorded when they were still with their previous label and now these idiots recommend that album to their family. Because it has no growls. Get it?

It's amazing how stupid adults can be.

dorian gray said:
meh, on topic, that entire interview has a tone of mike trying too hard to convince himself he didnt do something to alienate his original fanbase. we can argue till we're blue in the face whether or not opeth was underground, when they stopped being underground, blah blah blah, but the fact of the matter is they are now definitely *not* underground. they accomplished this by signing to a large label, going on a shit tour like sounds of the underground, and succumbing to the worst band photos of all time. sadly and annoyingly, growls or no growls, opeth simply arent metal anymore.

Clearly, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, man. Like you, of all people, are going to know what is running through Mike's mind. Man, I read up on some of Mike's comments regarding the whole "sellout" issue: all I can say is, I can see why he'd be annoyed. All this garbage circulating the net about these so-called Opeth fans is driving me crazy.

Oh, and plus, Opeth's more "un-metal" albums are by far the better albums anyway. I'll plain and simple say this, just as Mike said in the recent revolver magazine issue which he pretty much made reference to: "The metal bands out today pretty much suck." Obviously, not in those exact words, but you get the point.

I myself have been wondering why I couldn't get into bands my buddies are REALLY into (such as In Flames, Arch Enemy, The Haunted, Lamb of God, As I Lay Dying, Chimaira, Shadows Fall, God Forbid, etc, etc - the list just goes on), but then I realized. I really don't like metal that much. I look back and it's actually bands like Anglagard, Camel, King Crimson, The Beatles and Pink Floyd that I'm more into. Opeth, to me, have ALWAYS been different. Even in the days of Morningrise (while more metal), still felt different to me with all the soft, ambient clean passages, etc. They have always been like a metalized Pink Floyd/camel to me. ANd then beginning with Still Life, Opeth have been becoming far greater than they ever were imo. And let's face it, is STill Life REALLY metal??? Hehe, for the most part, no. In fact, all their riffs beginning with STill Life aren't your TYPICAL metal riffs. They are more prog/rock than metal to me. And honestly, to me, this style is more complex, out of the ordinary and simply kick-ass.

Opeth aren't metal anymore?

Good.

Because Ghost Reveries is simply BEYOND metal. It is a fine, classy album that still has some metal elements but is blended with plenty of splendid rock elements that seriously combine to create something special and TRULY memorable. What makes this album truly great, is that it has something here for EVERYONE. Fans that have always been into Opeth will find something they like (Ghost of Perdition and Baying of the Hounds, for example) while others more into the "rockish" style will more likely embrace Atonement, Hours of Wealth or Beneath the Mire (the latter actually being my persobal fave, and I've been an opeth fan for over 5 years.) This is beautiful album with immense variety where not one song on the album sounds the same.

As Opeth continue to progress into their prog influences, I'm seeing them becoming greater and greater as a band. I'm glad they have constructed such a killer album that is far BEYOND what was heard in Deliverance to access a larger audience.

This is the kind of stylish album that will (should!) appeal to anyone that is remotely into "good" music. Not just "metal."

Judging from alot of these "O-peth fans'" statements and ridiculous remarks of the band, I have nothing else to say then the fact maybe Opeth would be BETTER off not having them at all if they can't appreciate the music they are making now.

Fuck, let the band command and enthral an audience as GREAT as their music. After all these years, these guys deserve it. Roadrunner helped this, but at NO EXPENSE of the music.

edit:

Jchappie: Lol dude...I have started with Morningrise about 5 years ago as the first Opeth album I heard. That's the album that got me into them. It was brilliant in any way imaginable. I still Like Still Life the best, but Ghost Reveries is the best album since that one. Here's something for ya: how could someone LOVE Still Life andthen say Ghost Reveries is the weakest link? That's truly, well, beyond me. Ghost Rveries is a masterpiece, plain and simple. It's as close to Still Life as you'll get "with change", as the band is always going to sound different upon each new release as they're known to do by now. The Jazzy atmosphere is intact, the beautiful melodic vocal line of Still Life as well as the acoustic work and great PROG riffs. I mean, c'mon...

edit2: :Wreath: : Fuck, it is good to see people with "sense" on this board. I couldn't possibly agree more with your post up there, man. :headbang: Good stuff.

I registered just to make this post. I can't believe the idiotic, childish attitude some of you have toward this album.

First of all, if you wanted Opeth to make a black metal album just because Mikael made a one-time remark about that, that's one thing, but to rip into the new album just because it's not black metal? Moronic. Anyway, if you want black-metal-esque Opeth, listen to Orchid, it's close enough for most people.

Second, if you think they've 'sold out' or gone downhill just because they signed to a larger label and added a keyboard player, shut up, you're a douche. There's nothing in GR that indicates any loss of musical integrity or intention to change their sound to sell lots of records to kids.

The new album may not be to your taste, but that's YOUR problem, not the band's. If you don't like the direction they're taking, too bad. It's them that are deciding what to write; they don't have you in mind when composing their songs. Get used to it.

If you are mad because GR is a departure from their old sound, shut up. Do you just want them to make Blackwater Park over and over again? If Opeth didn't progress, they'd become just as lame as any other band. By doing something new they're showing more integrity than if they just kept making the same album over and over again to please their old fans (who, apparently, can be as big douchebags as they accuse 'mallcore kids' of being).

Just because you think GR sounds 'poppy' or 'less metal' or 'too proggy' or 'metalcore' or what the hell ever, that doesn't mean the band should limit themselves from new sounds and influences. In case you didn't notice, Opeth has always been 'progressive.' Keyboards are not the sole defining element of progressive music. I also fail to see how GR is any 'less metal' than BWP or Orchid, both of which had plenty of soft mellow parts with clean singing. If you think that Opeth can only make good records by using their signature moves, you're wrong. Absorbing new influences and moving in new directions is one of the main ways an artist keeps their music fresh. Just sticking to one set of influences=bad albums, eventually. Even if they did incorporate elements of 'pop' or 'metalcore' doesn't make the album bad...look at Porcupine Tree.

Anyway, in conclusion, if you don't like the new album, fine, but quit whining about how the band has sold out because they have keyboards and they didn't make Blackwater Park or Still Life again. GR isn't my favorite album, Still Life is, but you don't hear me acting like a douche because it didn't sound the way I wanted it to. If you want to hear black metal, listen to black metal. If you want to hear old school Opeth, listen to old school Opeth. If you want to actually listen to what the band decided to do as the next step in their musical progression, then do. It's that simple.

When I heard black metal would have something to do with this new album and after hearing what actually came out I was VERY disappointed. You can't just say something like that and NOT have ANYTHING to do with it. It is a good album from a good band and thats it. I don't feel anything special about this album at all. I was especially disappointed to see The Grand Conjuration's edited time for a SHITTY video. Sorry, I meant FUCKING SHITTY. God damn guys go back to your roots and find the fucking DEATH METAL within you!!

Jude said:
I registered just to make this post. I can't believe the idiotic, childish attitude some of you have toward this album.

First of all, if you wanted Opeth to make a black metal album just because Mikael made a one-time remark about that, that's one thing, but to rip into the new album just because it's not black metal? Moronic. Anyway, if you want black-metal-esque Opeth, listen to Orchid, it's close enough for most people.

Second, if you think they've 'sold out' or gone downhill just because they signed to a larger label and added a keyboard player, shut up, you're a douche. There's nothing in GR that indicates any loss of musical integrity or intention to change their sound to sell lots of records to kids.

The new album may not be to your taste, but that's YOUR problem, not the band's. If you don't like the direction they're taking, too bad. It's them that are deciding what to write; they don't have you in mind when composing their songs. Get used to it.

If you are mad because GR is a departure from their old sound, shut up. Do you just want them to make Blackwater Park over and over again? If Opeth didn't progress, they'd become just as lame as any other band. By doing something new they're showing more integrity than if they just kept making the same album over and over again to please their old fans (who, apparently, can be as big douchebags as they accuse 'mallcore kids' of being).

Just because you think GR sounds 'poppy' or 'less metal' or 'too proggy' or 'metalcore' or what the hell ever, that doesn't mean the band should limit themselves from new sounds and influences. In case you didn't notice, Opeth has always been 'progressive.' Keyboards are not the sole defining element of progressive music. I also fail to see how GR is any 'less metal' than BWP or Orchid, both of which had plenty of soft mellow parts with clean singing. If you think that Opeth can only make good records by using their signature moves, you're wrong. Absorbing new influences and moving in new directions is one of the main ways an artist keeps their music fresh. Just sticking to one set of influences=bad albums, eventually. Even if they did incorporate elements of 'pop' or 'metalcore' doesn't make the album bad...look at Porcupine Tree.

Anyway, in conclusion, if you don't like the new album, fine, but quit whining about how the band has sold out because they have keyboards and they didn't make Blackwater Park or Still Life again. GR isn't my favorite album, Still Life is, but you don't hear me acting like a douche because it didn't sound the way I wanted it to. If you want to hear black metal, listen to black metal. If you want to hear old school Opeth, listen to old school Opeth. If you want to actually listen to what the band decided to do as the next step in their musical progression, then do. It's that simple.

First of all he didn't just say it once I read about him saying that in tons of interviews and even at a CONCERT...We know where to hear black metal if we want it but since he said THAT we wanted TO FUCKING HEAR IT FROM OPETH.

Mike has also said they are a DEATH METAL band first and foremost. So don't fucking talk to us about prog. When I buy an Opeth album I listen for DEATH METAL. Then prog. Don't call people a douche for saying they sold out. Maybe some people actually feel that way and have their reasons for it. I didn't say they did but I totally respect what they have to say because its not like those reasons haven't foretold a bands selling out...Paranoid or w/e they aren't totally unreasonable arguments.

Well, that's your opinion and yours only. Most are hailing this album as the band's best to date! Most are stating the band has reached their magnum opus. While I don't agree, but if Still Life didn't exist it'd be #2 or #3 - a toss up between GR and MAYH.

Seriously, it is one of their best albums and I was one of the one's excited about the "black metal" thing as well. I guess I was just TOTALLY pleased with what I got from the new record. I'm happy as long as I don't think it sucks - and dammit, many parts brought chills down my spine. Especially parts in the first 3 tracks, which are the best ones.

Holy shit, Opeth have become seriously what I think are the greatest band. I'm already awaiting their next release and see what other ideas they have in store for us. I tell you, only with Opeth do I feel such level of musical excitement.

It's crazy what's happened to this thread's discussion, thanks Opeth Evan!

Anyways, I have made comments in here already and don't particulary want to repeat myself continually for people who are not open to other people's opinions which just *may* differ from their own.

It's sad that as a fan base we had to wait so long for Opeth's album GR and then as soon as it came out all that happens is arguing over people's opinions, I think alot of people forget that that is what they are "opinions" not "facts"

So for fucks sake, if you want a discussion please stop fucking around blantantly disregarding others..... :wave:

I get sick of all the "fanboys" out there saying things like hoe "exceptional" opeth is. Face it people, opeth is good music but there are plenty of other bands just as good as them. Ulver, agalloch, katatonia, porcupine tree,bob dylan, van morisson. These bands are all immensely talented and skilled. I have a wide taste in music and yes opeth are good but there are plenty of other competent musicians.

As a fan of progressive metal, black metal, and everything in-between, I can say with the utmost confidence that Ghost Reveries is a remarkable album. Listen to it and enjoy the album for what it is. Praise its strengths, not its faults. So it's not Opeth's heaviest album. Get over it. I know I'm more or less repeating what others have said, but I felt as though I'd make a post using my own words.

shark22: Opeth is an exceptional and very unique band. I'm sure you already noticed this, but the topic here isn't about any of those bands you mentioned. Guess what? It's about Opeth. Yes.

I forgot to add that Opeth's changing to Roadrunner Records is completely irrelevant. Despite their record label, they still kick ass.

Oh, by the way, this is my first on UM. Hi.

DreamingofUr said:
First of all he didn't just say it once I read about him saying that in tons of interviews and even at a CONCERT...We know where to hear black metal if we want it but since he said THAT we wanted TO FUCKING HEAR IT FROM OPETH.

Well, guess what, he apparently decided NOT to make a black metal album. And as I said above, HE and THE BAND are the ones making decisions here, not you. If you want a black metal album in the style of Opeth, go make one yourself. Don't act like the band somehow owes it to you to make the kind of album you want to hear.
Mike has also said they are a DEATH METAL band first and foremost. So don't fucking talk to us about prog. When I buy an Opeth album I listen for DEATH METAL. Then prog. Don't call people a douche for saying they sold out. Maybe some people actually feel that way and have their reasons for it. I didn't say they did but I totally respect what they have to say because its not like those reasons haven't foretold a bands selling out...Paranoid or w/e they aren't totally unreasonable arguments.

There's nothing I can say to that. If all you want them to do is stagnate and keep repeating themselves and never incorporate anything new into their music, there's nothing I can say that's going to convince you to open your mind.

And to the guy that is ripping on the video...Mikael said himself that he didn't care for the video/have much part in its production...and besides, nobody's forcing you to watch the video, and the full song is on the album, so quit whining.

Personally I think this is just typical metalhead elitist-getting-pissed-because-their-favorite-unknown-band-is-becoming-popular-among-pimply-HIM-fans syndrome.

Jude said:
Well, guess what, he apparently decided NOT to make a black metal album. And as I said above, HE and THE BAND are the ones making decisions here, not you. If you want a black metal album in the style of Opeth, go make one yourself. Don't act like the band somehow owes it to you to make the kind of album you want to hear.

There's nothing I can say to that. If all you want them to do is stagnate and keep repeating themselves and never incorporate anything new into their music, there's nothing I can say that's going to convince you to open your mind.

Wow your obviously a troll. I'm explaining why certain people are upset about the new album. I'm not losing sleep at night because they didn't do it. You really blow things up don't you? Owe me something? Ok, calm down and breath.

Repeat themselves? Damn you completely contradicted yourself. I want them to fuse in some BM into their DM/prog(LIKE HE SAID THEY WOULD) and when they don't im disappointed...and I don't have an open mind! WOW!! That makes so much sense!! And why wouldn't I want a band that openly proclaims its a DM primarily to ummm.. play DM? lmao your brilliance has no boundaries!

DreamingofUr said:
Wow your obviously a troll. I'm explaining why certain people are upset about the new album. I'm not losing sleep at night because they didn't do it. You really blow things up don't you? Owe me something? Ok, calm down and breath.

Repeat themselves? Damn you completely contradicted yourself. I want them to fuse in some BM into their DM/prog(LIKE HE SAID THEY WOULD) and when they don't im disappointed...and I don't have an open mind! WOW!! That makes so much sense!! And why wouldn't I want a band that openly proclaims its a DM primarily to ummm.. play DM? lmao your brilliance has no boundaries!

A troll. Right...I'm putting some sense into a thread full of people whining because a band doesn't cater to their individual whims? and I'm a troll?

Now how is GR any less death metal than any other Opeth record? Actually, don't even answer that, because I'm not going to get into a genre debate with a metalhead...I've done that before. The point is, bands evolve over time. They are composed of people whose musical taste develops and who want to write new songs and experiment with new styles and influences. So Akerfeldt said it would be a black metal album. Big deal. If he had said it was going to be a prog album and then it came out and sounded like Burzum, would you be whining then?

Jude said:
A troll. Right...I'm putting some sense into a thread full of people whining because a band doesn't cater to their individual whims? and I'm a troll?

Now how is GR any less death metal than any other Opeth record? Actually, don't even answer that, because I'm not going to get into a genre debate with a metalhead...I've done that before. The point is, bands evolve over time. They are composed of people whose musical taste develops and who want to write new songs and experiment with new styles and influences. So Akerfeldt said it would be a black metal album. Big deal. If he had said it was going to be a prog album and then it came out and sounded like Burzum, would you be whining then?

Sense? I just pointed out you contradicted yourself. People are automatically whining if they share feelings that aren't your own? And people who have bought the album have the fucking right to "whine" if they want.

I don't even consider this album much more of a progression from their last btw, other than the drums I suppose. And I don't think there is a "prog" sound like you seem to think. Its a natural evolution, not really an aim. And I probably would resort to "whining" if Opeth ever sounded like Burzum because I'm not a fan of his.

Death Metal IS Bloodbath. Death metal IS Vital Remains. Death Metal is NOT Opeth. I mean, not exactly.

Seriously, Death Metal isn't supposed to have elegant and music structured in such eloquent fashion as can be heard with Opeth's music. The ONLY thing that has ever been death metal about this band is the fact Mike happens to have Death Metal growls - which happen to be fantastic at that - as well as blastbeats here and there.

It's totally wrong if you're listening to Opeth solely because of the death metal thing. There's way more to it than that. SinceI heard so many other "death metal" bands recently, listening to Opeth truly is different than the rest of them, there's just no question about it. I don't like the other bands but I love Opeth. I dislike most metal, yet I happen to think Opeth is one of the great bands of this generation. In the end, this is a band that just solely makes KILLER music. I really don't give a damn what they play anymore, because it's almost a given I'll end up liking it. Some more than others (goes without saying), but the important thing is if I'll end up enjoying it in the end.

People always categorize Opeth as Death Metal, but I never considered it that way so much. It's heavy music with plenty of blast beats and such, but man, in the end it's very different to your typical "metal" band. The riffs to me are more rocking (just in a heavy sense, which some can refer to as being metallic) than metal.

I can understand why many would go as far as to say no band is like Opeth. It's true moreso than not.

Prog Metal is what Opeth is. 60% Prog/rock; 40% metal. That pretty much sums it up for me.

I do think, however, MAYH was the PERFECT metal album though.