OPETH Frontman: 'We've Never Jumped On Trends Or Chances To Make Money' - Sep. 5

IMO they are not DM. Mike says they are DM and I don't think you can argue against the frontman of a band about his own band's genre. Until he says otherwise I'll use that as a crutch.

Cryptopsy and Nile are just two DM bands who have music that are just as eloquent and elegant as Opeth's. Its just in the eye of the beholder but it certainly isn't limited to Opeth. I think its actually offensive to some to hear someone say that DM isn't supposed to be elegant or in eloquent fashion.

Hmm, well, I just assumed that most that are into death metal want it as BRUTAL as possible so they can constantly mosh it out in the pits and not have to stop once the quieter parts come on. I don't know, look at Cannibal Corpse for example, another 100% death metal band.

Your right in your assumptions but there are lots out there that don't see it as being brutal but awesome songwriting. While I don't get into CC as much as other people, Suffocation are another 100% DM band but soo fun to listen to vocals and brutality aside.(not that they aren't awesome too!)

you can't blame the band for maturing and promoting themselves for a wider audience
Give the the band a break, they gave us beautifully crafted music, and we should thank them for it.

DreamingofUr said:
First of all he didn't just say it once I read about him saying that in tons of interviews and even at a CONCERT...We know where to hear black metal if we want it but since he said THAT we wanted TO FUCKING HEAR IT FROM OPETH.

Mike has also said they are a DEATH METAL band first and foremost. So don't fucking talk to us about prog. When I buy an Opeth album I listen for DEATH METAL. Then prog. Don't call people a douche for saying they sold out. Maybe some people actually feel that way and have their reasons for it. I didn't say they did but I totally respect what they have to say because its not like those reasons haven't foretold a bands selling out...Paranoid or w/e they aren't totally unreasonable arguments.

I would rather hear the music Mikael wants to make on an Opeth record than the music you would like him to make.

You didn't have any input on the last 7 albums, or any albums written by anyone ever. And look how well music has gotten along without you.

it always amazes me how metal fans get miffed when their fave band puts out an album they don't 100% agree with.

they then ramble on and on second guessing the band and saying how and why they did this and that blah blah blah.

all they are doing is justifying their own pathetic existance and if they can find like minded people to group hug with it makes them feel less insecure.

as long as they feel smug they can get out of bed the next day without crying for their mommy.

GR is an album, a collection of songs and a snapshot in time of a band, a group of individuals with instruments if you will.

in fact, human beings just like you!

GR is an Opeth album - nothing more nothing less.

If you can't understand that then I suggest you go back to your dark room and design some more quake levels...

Austin said:
I would rather hear the music Mikael wants to make on an Opeth record than the music you would like him to make.

You didn't have any input on the last 7 albums, or any albums written by anyone ever. And look how well music has gotten along without you.

You get a standing ovation for that.

DreamingofUr: I never contradicted myself. I don't even know what you're talking about. Anyway I agree Opeth isn't death metal. I'm not all into labelling the hell out music like some people are, I just call them 'metal' but if I had to nitpick I'd call them progressive metal with death vocals mixed with classical and acoustic guitar parts, etc. But YOU were the one that said 'if a band plays death metal you expect them to make a death metal album' or whatever.

And the only Opeth album I haven't heard is Deliverance, so maybe that's very close to GR, but you definitely can't say GR isn't a progression from BP.

Anyway, aside from all this genre bickering and nonsense, the point is, people need to stop whining because the album doesn't sound the way they think it should, get used to the idea that the band are going to go in the direction they want, have some respect for great musicians who aren't afraid to take their music into new areas and enjoy the result of it. Oh, and get the idea that they aren't as talented as Opeth and that if they had been in charge of the album like they apparently think they should have been, it would have sucked. That's directed to everyone.

Spot on Verano! Just when I was losing faith...

Sometimes, you can see why most bands don't visit forums. It really would make you throw in the towel. I'm just not sure what it is the likes of Hubster and Dorian Gray want from them - to make music exclusively tailored for their opinions perhaps?

Damned if they do, damned if they don't I wager!

Austin said:

Wow. You guys should really learn to read or just stfu already. I didn't say "hey opeth should incorporate some BM into their next album...", Mike did. Jesus Christ this isn't fucking complicated you idiots. I was let down when it didn't come true. THERE. I can careless anymore because I, like so many others have already said, have OTHER bands to listen to that are just as good.

You guys really love to talk shit without making ANY sense.

Jude said:
You get a standing ovation for that.

DreamingofUr: I never contradicted myself. I don't even know what you're talking about. Anyway I agree Opeth isn't death metal. I'm not all into labelling the hell out music like some people are, I just call them 'metal' but if I had to nitpick I'd call them progressive metal with death vocals mixed with classical and acoustic guitar parts, etc. But YOU were the one that said 'if a band plays death metal you expect them to make a death metal album' or whatever.

And the only Opeth album I haven't heard is Deliverance, so maybe that's very close to GR, but you definitely can't say GR isn't a progression from BP.

Anyway, aside from all this genre bickering and nonsense, the point is, people need to stop whining because the album doesn't sound the way they think it should, get used to the idea that the band are going to go in the direction they want, have some respect for great musicians who aren't afraid to take their music into new areas and enjoy the result of it. Oh, and get the idea that they aren't as talented as Opeth and that if they had been in charge of the album like they apparently think they should have been, it would have sucked. That's directed to everyone.

Gee. How do I unravel your next web of absolutely shitty arguments?

1. You said I want a band to stagnate for wanting to hear some BM fused into their next album, and then called me closed-minded for it. Now do you understand you fucking tool?

2. If your not into labeling STFU and call them death metal like Mike DOES. In case you don't know Mike happens to be the founder of Opeth and I'm pretty sure he knows what his band is.

3. You haven't heard Deliverance? Then STFU because you obviously don't know wtf your talking about anymore. Be more of a dumbfuck plz?

4. Repeat the same rant one more time because I don't think all the "whiners" have got it yet.

Now, really. Read the post then reply.

DreamingofUr said:
Gee. How do I unravel your next web of absolutely shitty arguments?

1. You said I want a band to stagnate for wanting to hear some BM fused into their next album, and then called me closed-minded for it. Now do you understand you fucking tool?
Well, you want them to move in a black metal direction, and you're mad because they didn't. How's that?
2. If your not into labeling STFU and call them death metal like Mike DOES. In case you don't know Mike happens to be the founder of Opeth and I'm pretty sure he knows what his band is.
As I said, I'm not into labelling, so I just call them metal. I don't really care what label anyone puts on it. I just listen to the music and dig it.

3. You haven't heard Deliverance? Then STFU because you obviously don't know wtf your talking about anymore. Be more of a dumbfuck plz?

Yeah, I'm obviously wrong because I haven't heard one of their albums (well I've heard some of the songs from it but not the album as a whole) which is not even the one we're arguing about here.
4. Repeat the same rant one more time because I don't think all the "whiners" have got it yet.

Now, really. Read the post then reply.

They probably haven't gotten it yet. I think some of them, if they actually think about what I've said, will, and then maybe they'll give the band a little more respect instead of acting like they're the ones who should be asked what Opeth should sound like.

DreamingofUr said:
Are you 5? You'll never understand anything unless its spelled out in crayon and shoved up your ass. Just stfu you silly fanboy. Opeth sucks! what now? Now I know what mumblefood went through...

MIKAEL SAID IT WOULD BE BLACK METAL!!! HE SAID SO!!!!! WHY DID HE LIE?!!!! I HATE YOU DADDY!!!!!!!!

Someone needs a spanking.

The reatrdation in this forum kills me. WTF is with these people TRYING to find sell out tendancies in their favorite bands? It's a stupid pointless waste of time. Opeth is still putting out unique music. They have stuck loosley to the same formula over the years...when I say loosley I mean they've evolved and changed with each album. Bands are in the business to make money, it's their job! Opeth is starting to make some money and become recognized and their "loyal" fan base is deserting them because they are no longer underground and unrecognized by the majority. I say congrats to Opeth for continuing to make the music they believe in...and becoming popular without bending to the corporate rock plague.

P.S. OPETH WAS NEVER ABOUT BEING "HEAVY" *sheesh* stupid, stupid, stupid:Smug:

Alcapoth said:
Death Metal IS Bloodbath. Death metal IS Vital Remains. Death Metal is NOT Opeth. I mean, not exactly.

What makes me laugh with all these fans saying Opeth are not death metal is that Akerfeldt in the doco on the Lamentations DVD said himself "regardless of whatever people say, WE ARE a DEATH METAL BAND".

And for anyone who wants to check this, it's in one of the last interview sections with Mike towards the end of the doco on the DVD.

So all you people out there who think they arent DM, think again, for what better person to state it than a band member themselves?

MindInsane said:
The reatrdation in this forum kills me. WTF is with these people TRYING to find sell out tendancies in their favorite bands? It's a stupid pointless waste of time. Opeth is still putting out unique music.

Hardly the case.

Do more research and you will see there are tonnes of Swedish (Gothemburg) and Finnish (Rapture) bands, and also US bands (Farmakon) doing the same thing and in some ways much better.

What Opeth STARTED doing was new at the time. Now, there's nothing new about it. DM and prog combinations in music these days is about as standard as a purple wrapper on a block of Cadburys chocolate.

In my opinion, the next step in innovation is to go and step beyond the death-prog idea and go into a new direction, whether its musical or lyrical.

Throwing in keys and clean vocals is todays norm.

Yes, lots of bands do what Opeth do, but there is no doubt in saying that opeth still have a very unique sound. What i dont understand is you say they should find a new direction, and wtf GR is a new direction, does thier old stuff sound like it... no. There are many new influences not just Prog, imo one can even pick up old Sabbath influences, and Stuff like Zep/Iron Butterfly, but also more NewMetal influences then alot of thier older albums.
I admit i personally do not like GR as much as BWP, SL, MAYH, but by NO means is this a sellout, or at least not to the degree you seem to be saying.

What always made Opeth awsome at the end of the day isn't thier influences, or even thier Style of music. It was thier craftsmanship, composition and talent. Listen to any of thier music, it is SO much more deep then anything else out there, you listen to it many times and keep witnessing new elements which you didi't see before. And even GR keeps this, thus i believe they have not sold out.