Opeth in Los Angeles

IcedMadness

STRONGER THAN DEATH
May 27, 2002
Ventura, CA
Visit site
What a great show. I enjoyed every bands set, Moonspell was probably the best one of the openers though. So much energy. I remember waiting for Devil Driver to come out, then I hear over the PA "are you motherfuckers ready?" And I pause and say "hmmm, that sounds fimiliar. Sounds like....Zakk Wylde," to my girl friend and she just looks like "whatever." Then next thing I know, this bohemuth of a man is standing on stage with the mic in one hand and a beer in the other, true Zakk style. I was stoaked as shit when I saw him on stage because I had my BLS sweatshirt on. I tried to get him to look up to the top but I think he was too drunk to even look straight. Any way, they had a pretty good set. Then Opeth came on. Great set from start to finish especially Black Water Park.

Yes it was a great show. All bands had lots of energy & intensity which was great to see. Opeth had to cut their set 2 songs short(Windowpane,April Ethereal) but they were awesome. Who else here went to this show in L.A. I wore a Morbid Angel-Gateways to Annihilation longsleeve.

ya that show was fuckin incredible .... moonspell was heavy as shit ... the opening band class zero was the owrst peice of shit i ever heard in my life ..... devildriver goddamn were they intense .... and opeth .... well i didnt hear one fuck up on the moor =)

MOONSPELL:

In and above men
From lowering skies
Alma mater
Vampiria
The southern deathstyle
Everything invaded
Opium
Devilred
Full moon madness

OPETH:

Master's Apprentices
Drapery Falls
The Moor
Windowpane
In My Time of Need
April Ethereal
Deliverance
Blackwater Park

correct me if im wrong.

what was devildrivers list?

The only song names I remember of Devil Driver is Catch Me (?) and Die. That was a great show. And they decided to play Demon of the Fall before Blackwater Park this time. He got me mixed up because I was ready to headbang yet lol.

BTW, which one of you said hi to me after the gig? I wanted to talk to you but I had five people around me who were leaving at that moment and I had to say bye. It was nice seeing someone who posts here. ;) If any of you are going to Anaheim tonight, come say hi. I don't know if I will be able to see the forum after I leave here in a moment.

Last night fucking tore. I came just intime to see Moonspell. Theyre set rocked. But the crowd didnt get to crazy. Devil Driver had alot of fans. Nothing special. The singers a fucking midget. They were decent. There closing was pretty fn cool. Opeth fucking killed!!!!!! But no windowpane or april ethreal!!! They better play that shit tonight in anaheim! Big chant started for Martin. And Mikael was all "Oh i almost forgot martin was sick missed some canadian gigs" something of that extent. Fucking kick ass night!!!!! I was 3 standing rows backfrom stage in the center. Alot of pushing and crushing from behind. So much headbanging it wouldve been an F-5 if classed as a tornado. At the end a couple picks were thrown. No drumsticks thrown to the audience the whole night. Damn Zakk shouldve gave his liquor btl to someone as a souvenir. Ahhh well.I just hope opeth doesnt cut songs out tonight to give time for class of zero talent to play! After the show I got myself a couple shirts and shook the hand of fernando from moonspell who came out onto the floor by the merchandise stands. In summary all I have to say about last night is :worship:

ALternateEnding said:
OPETH:

Master's Apprentices
Drapery Falls
The Moor
Windowpane
In My Time of Need
April Ethereal
Deliverance
Blackwater Park

correct me if im wrong.

holy crap thats an awesome strong setlist... and I get april ethereal fuck yeah! no demon of the fall this time?

He was fucked up and talking about Ozzy and said he's doing fine, and how he's like a father figure or something like that. He loved him and I think he said something like they'll be working together soon. I was pretty buzzed so I missed lots of what he was saying.

ALternateEnding said:
OPETH:

Master's Apprentices
Drapery Falls
The Moor
Windowpane
In My Time of Need
April Ethereal
Deliverance
Blackwater Park

correct me if im wrong.

Opeth didn't play Windowpane, or April Ethereal last night. And Demon of the fall was played like in the middle of the set. Kind of fucking bogus if you ask me, the concert was over at 10:30, and Mike was saying on stage how they dont have much time left to play. What the fuck man? It's only 10:30. Last time they played the house of blues with Porcupine Tree they played until like 1:30am. I dont understand why the concert started and ended so early. Weird.

Moonspell seemed pretty powerful, and Devil Driver was loud and screachy. I made my move to the front after Devil Driver was done. I was also front and center (well, a little off center), my position chaged from 2 to 3 rows back through the course of the show. Yeah lots of crowd movement up there, which I like, and another thing I must point out that added to the experience was the combined sweat and body odor from everyone around me. It was great.

This was my first time seeing Opeth so I didn't know what to expect. They opened with Masters Apprentices, which was very powerful, but for some reason it didn't get me into a really euphoric mood like I expected the first song to. I was a little worried that I wouldn't get that "high" like I've felt before.

Anyway, when he said they were going to play Drapery Falls, it made me feel really good because I didn't expect that song to be played, and it's one of my favorites (along with many others). The Moor made me feel good as well, and it did a really good job setting the mood for the next song, In My Time of Need.

So far I was having a great time, but still I had no concert "high". Around this time a short fat guy came to the front close to me, basically pushing everyone aside with all his might. He tried to rip the guy in the front row out of his spot to take it, but he was finally stopped thank god. That was a little annoying but I didn't really care since I didn't get run over by him.

Still having a great time, and then Deliverance. It seemed like there was much more movement in the crowd as this song started than what came before. And it felt awsome; sometime during Deliverance I entered that state of bliss that I go to concerts for, and wow I must say that at the end of this song I felt like I was lighter than air. This was definately my favorite moment of the concert. And no I didn't use any substances before I entered the venue (or after).

This state of happiness was maintained by Demon of the Fall quite easily, and I found myself spontaneously yelling out some lyrics which I didn't expect myself to do. So that felt pretty awsome. And I've got to point out that one of my favorite moments in all of Opeth is the slow down in the middle of Demon of the Fall. I almost had to laugh because it felt so good.

Blackwater Park? Simply amazing. The entire song felt just right, and it also felt more audible than the rest of their songs, like the crowd quieted a little for it. This entire song was probably my second favorite part of the concert. So, euphoria still going, I watched in amazement as they finnished of Blackwater Park, and left the stage.

What a great time. I was closer than I imagined I could be to my favorite band and I got a shirt (that I'm wearing right now). My friend got a little pissed that they didn't play April Ethereal at all, and I do agree that their set certainly could have stood for being a bit longer. What does house of Blues have against staying past 10:30 anyway? So that's my story. I had an awesome experience and I give it a 10/10.

I was disappointed because I was looking forward to April Ethereal. I was also pretty upset about the announcement of no encore. Overall a good show, though, with better than average sound. And the bass was audible this time...not to mention how cool it was when Martin played slap bass during blackwater park.

leafblower said:
Last time they played the house of blues with Porcupine Tree they played until like 1:30am. I dont understand why the concert started and ended so early. Weird.
Curfew. Remember last time you could only get in if you were 18+? This tour is all ages, so they HAVE to stop pretty early by law. meh.

Yeah, last nights show was too good to be true! I'm still not even sure if I was there or it was a dream:loco: I really want to go to tonight's show, but won't be able to make it.

By the way Squeek,
That was me who said hi to you after the show, Sorry for running off so fast, but I assumed you were busy. I remember you said to look for the long, flowing blonde hair, & sure enough, there you were. Actually, I've seen you at other concerts in the past, taking photos, although I can't remember which shows.
I'm sure I'll see you again & I'll say hi. Well, have fun at the show tonight, wish I was there.