OPETH in new zealand

As far as support goes, that's anyones guess.

At the moment Dark Tranquillity and The Devin Townsend band (hot off their new album Synchestra) are supporting Opeth. Next month Devin's minions make way for Devil Driver so the shows look like this:

Feb: Devin Townsend band open
Dark Tranquillity follow
Opeth main act

March: Devil Driver open
Dark Tranquillity follow
Opeth main act

Opeth would have to pull off one hell of a set to out Dark Tranquillity ,who I heard absolutely rip live.

As for the Auckland show I'd be hoping for a miracle Dark Tranquillity come over but it will be a local act probably.

yea thing is the loyal opeth fans will be flocking countrywide to it, plus i imagine just general metal/casual opeth fans will be going too, its rather rare to have a international metal act of such calibre playing in NZ, should be a good mix of people there, and alot of people i think too.

Fuck I'm actually so gutted it's unbelievable, no good bands ever come to NZ and finally when one of the most amazing ones EVER does just by chance I'm over seas :( and 55 dollars is such a good price I would pay triple that.

so so so so gutted

Just get a flight home for the weekend in April ;)
It's still a long way off.
I really hope this show sells out. It'll let Opeth know that, yes, there really are tonnes of Opeth fans here.

I talked to Ticket Direct yesterday and they said that if the downstairs standing area sells out, then they will open up sales for seated tickets.

Just found out They were coming, i started shaking in my little booties.. Now i find out its R18?!

i feel like i have been slapped with a large wooden paddle.. Anyone want to be my 'legal gaurdian' for the entrance?

Heh.. this hurts, the only good band to come in so long and i cant see it

id check on that if i were you, real groovy didnt say it was R18 and it doesnt say it on the ticket, only the ticket direct site says that, it might pay to ring up someone and confirm if its actuallly r18, haha it rules being over 18 anyway

Hmm i rang Both Real Groovy and Ticketek in Christchurch, but they both just gave me strange looks.. Anyone have anymore Information on it being R18?

thanks

Ticket Direct site does say it's an R18 gig. Most metal gigs at the St James are anyway.

To Crushed - Buy your dad or mum a ticket, give them $50 for booze and tell them to wait for you at the bar. Then you can get in. It may be a little more expensive, but thats just bad luck for being under age :).

Or you could just buy a ticket and hope they dont check your I.D, Always happens.

Well just found out the older brother, 'the lucky son of my mother' who happens to be 20, asked him to get me in, he tells me Ya need Paper to prove hes my 'legal guardian' is this true?

Crushed said:
Well just found out the older brother, 'the lucky son of my mother' who happens to be 20, asked him to get me in, he tells me Ya need Paper to prove hes my 'legal guardian' is this true?

Nah there is no way they would go to that trouble!

So confused, im panicing, i need a good slap, www.ozmosh.com tells me its all ages gig, TicketDirect tells me its R18 from what i see on their site, OpethNZ says it doesnt see it on the ticket, i dont know what to do Hah

are Opeth gigs usually R18?

Got my ticket today and it does say on it R18.

Just buy a ticket and take the chance, benighted1 and i got to see Fear Factory at the power station when we were 17 and that was R18 and they never checked I.D.

thats really weird keith i got mine from real groovy chch, and while it does say bars open it makes no specific mention of R18, though yeah since there is the open bar i reckon it will be R18, to Crushed, as people have said before on here, Opeth shows arent deemed R18 by the band, it depends on the venue and varies from place to place, id say theres a very good chance it is indeed R18 so your best bet is to get a person older to go with you, try get in risking there being no ID showing, or perhaps invent some sort of magical time machine, Good luck, again it rules being 20 :D

You can't get in with older brothers and sisters, it has to be your parents. The St. James is R18 cuz of the bar. But I'd ring St. James and double-check. Could you pass off for 18?

I went into the St James this week and confirmed these things:

Gig is R18 (Looking over her shoulder at her computer monitor).
Plenty of tickets left, at NZD$55 each.
Support is as yet unknown (Would be good to see Dark Tranquillity support...)

Hmm, i couldnt pass for 18, Ahh well to all you going, Enjoy yourself

Just gotta hope it sells out and they come again when im 18

How old are you then? Don't give up on it, just get one of your parents to go. They don't even have to stay. Just walk in with them, you go off to the mosh pit and they can walk out again. Good luck to security trying to find you in a big crowd full of metallers.