Opeth in Towson, MD

Grind Bastard said:
I don't know maybe i think the band is great and i think you don't have a clue at all about music. But you must be really sad and pathetic to reply twice to one post from me. What you don't have a life? That is why you feel the need to shove your opinion down everyone's throat. Fuck forever off!!! Just because you don't like the gothenburg scene but still like another swedish band opeth i find that funny but to each their own. But your a clueless person who feels the need to tell me that a band sucked when they didn't. But there was plenty of people last night at the show that enjoyed them. Who are you? Since when do you know what metal is? Go write a book! But you must have had a good view up front. Go drink and get out of the front so real fans can watch the show instead of some big cry baby!!! Boo hoo you didn't like them.:cry:

The hypocrisy of this is unbelieveable. I'm not crying I said they suck. I wasnt in the front, I was in the back cringing during DT. I was quite near the front during Opeth to whom I am a "real fan". Jesus, you people act like I fucked your grandmother in front of you. Yet, I'm the one that needs to get a life... haha..

Are you 16?

"fuck forever off"? Didnt you just say that Mikael said that at last night's show? And you're quoting him?

I also didnt go to the show for DT. I had hoped I would like them.

Next time I'll actually be sure to either bring a cyanide capsule or an entire jar of marmalade. Maybe Phosgene for the band.

Zeta7 said:
First off Devin Townsend Band is awesome. Second off... who the FUCK had the idea to put Dark Tranquility on this tour? I was afraid the singer was going to jump off the stage and try to have homosexual relations with me. That band, is the worst, gayest shit I've ever heard in my life. Somehow the audience loved it. It's not original... there's absolutely NO difference in ANY of the songs. The vocals ALWAYS sound the same, and the singer is ALWAYS equally as homosexual. Oh, and Opeth was great.

Mikael is a funny prick... but who would expect any less from "the Oracle Of Metal". Good set list (not telling). Good chatter between songs (which they're known for). The guys actually let a couple up on stage so that the dude could propose to his girlfriend who was apparently caught by total suprise. Mikael mentioned that Opeth are also matchmakers as well as "heavy metal gods" and asked for another couple.

One last rant. What in the fuck was up with the neo-nazi mosh pit. Since when do jock pricks with shaved heads and quicksilver shirts come to Opeth shows just to mosh.

Ok, I'm done now. :)

*after a shock* I have only three words for you:YOU SUCK BAAAADLY

Lina said:
No, not at all. Old Opeth fans (like myself :p) don't like newer Opeth because it lost a lot of the beauty and variation of the older stuff. The song structures, the riffs, just everything is more basic/boring/cliched now. The acoustic and clean parts used to be woven in perfectly, with flawless transitions. Now they seem forced and disjointed. Entire albums flowed from start to end; now each song has a distinct character and structure, with little thought given to the overall album.

Like you (I gather), I, too, have a music/theory background, and so did most fans of the old stuff. It's the new stuff that's attracting all the knucklehead jocks who just want to mosh to some "heavy shit" and who talk and cheer during all the soft parts. I actually left halfway through last night's set because the crowd was so distracting to me. (Not to worry though, I've seen them 12 times already, lol.) So if you haven't done so already, you should work your way back through their discography, because if it's the typical metal sound you want to avoid, you'll love the older stuff even more than the new stuff.

Couldnt have put it better myself. I basically grew up on Orchid and Morningrise. I love My Arms... and I think Still Life and BWP are also very decent. But the new stuff (except Damnation - I love it, but thats an exceptional album, not really Opethish, if you know what I mean) is odd. Could be great for a new fan, but Ive heard all those riffs before.

As for Zeta7, from what you have written, you clearly dont know much about Dark Tranquillity. As with Opeth, I grew up also on Skydancer, Of Chaos... and The Gallery. I somehow understand your dissapointment with the material from Damage Done and Character (which formed the biggest part of the set) - I dont like these 2 albums much myself - but your way of expressing your opinion is totally disgusting. That made you look like a stupid cunt, not your opinions (which arent sound, provided you really dont know much about the band), or rather feelings. Get their older stuff (mentioned above) plus The Minds I, Projector and Haven, come to DT board and youll find the beauty in gayness, I asure you! :D

Zeta7 said:
Plus, it's hard to respect a band that cannot even headbang.

How very n00by of you.
You may find this hard to believe, but there actually is more to metal than headbanging, for examples look at band like Burzum, Portal, Velvet Cacoon, etc etc.
All amazing bands, no headbanging to be found, whereas there is plenty of completely shit bands out there that spend the whole set headbanging.
Generally I find the music should have more of a bearing on respect levels than their ability to throw around their lovely long locks.

Hey, I'm a "new " fan, and I have all the cd's. What I like the most about Opeth, is definetly the way they blend the heavy with the softer parts, especially on the earlier albums. What I'm not interested in is just "headbanging" chords, over and over and over. Opeth have not done that, yet, while what I see from other "heavy ' bands seems boring. I am more of a Prog fan, Yes, Crimson, ELP, Spocks beard, etc. Gentle Giant is My fave. I'm going to see Opeth next Thursday for the first time, and I can't wait.

Zeta7 said:
One last rant. What in the fuck was up with the neo-nazi mosh pit. Since when do jock pricks with shaved heads and quicksilver shirts come to Opeth shows just to mosh.

Neo nazi mosh pit huh? Funny, I was standing next to the pit the entire show and never once thought it was full of neo-nazis. Nor did I see any jock pricks - it was a typical Opeth mosh pit with fans happy to be there and helping each other when they fell. Not everyone can be a flowing haired metal god. For a metal fan you sure are pretty closed minded. Next time I go to a show in Towson, I'll wear corpse paint so you can be pissed about that too. Bet you're gay. :yuk:

I think it's kind of strange that people say Opeth's earlier material flows better. I like Orchid and Morningrise a lot, but most of the transitions are pretty weak, and WAY more disjointed than anything they do now.

euclid said:
Neo nazi mosh pit huh? Funny, I was standing next to the pit the entire show and never once thought it was full of neo-nazis. Nor did I see any jock pricks - it was a typical Opeth mosh pit with fans happy to be there and helping each other when they fell. Not everyone can be a flowing haired metal god. For a metal fan you sure are pretty closed minded. Next time I go to a show in Towson, I'll wear corpse paint so you can be pissed about that too. Bet you're gay. :yuk:

Plus those 'Jock guys' have been doing it for years. Its normal for anyone to mosh at a show. Just shows they are enjoying it. The guy you quoted is doofus.

euclid said:

I'm wondering why there is even a pit at an opeth show..??

I agree that the way I presented it was rediculous. Watching the band was embarassing as a musician though. It was just sillyness. So, I guess I went a bit overboard. I saw Mr. Bungle live years back, and they were weird on stage. IT FIT THE MUSIC THOUGH. And for fuck's sake... the headbanging comment was tongue in cheek. So, all in all... like I've said earlier in this thread, I'd rather not create ill feelings with others. I seem to forget that fanbases usually take insults of bands personally. Let's all remember why we're here, though. We're here for Opeth, not DTB or DT or anyone else.

Didnt I say earlier the "neo-nazi" thing was a joke. My point was it was a bunch of dudes with mohawks and/or shaved heads. I gotta give props to the chick that went into the pit and knocked down a guy bigger than me, and I'm a big dude.

Personally, I think moshing is retarded at a show like that. I was there for the music and to enjoy it, not to worry about half the crowd falling back on me.

TTIWGUITAR... I totally agree.

And by the way, I don't plan to go to that venue again. That venue was shit. I'd rather save myself the 2 hour drive and find something in DC or Northern VA.

IcedEarth556 said:
What was the second to last song they played? I didn't recognize it

I'm pretty sure it was My Negation. I remember this because I was praying that that one was the last song they played. =P