Opeth in Towson, MD

I saw Dark Tranquiility at the Pittsburgh show and I have to agree with Zeta 7. They just aren't that good.Period. Only an opinion, don't lose your minds. Maybe they should be roadies for Opeth.

The singer's presense is laughable. Might as well put Michael Jackson up on stage and tell him to sing in a metal band.

Zeta7 said:
The singer's presense is laughable. Might as well put Michael Jackson up on stage and tell him to sing in a metal band.
I don't get why you think that. Because he smiles a lot? Because he's energetic? Because he's nicer to the fans than any other metal singer in existence? Until stumbling across you, I've never heard anyone say anything other than what an energetic, amazing performance they put on. The bass player's a choad, I give you that, but the other members are just the nicest, friendliest guys ever, and I think THAT'S what comes across on stage, not...gayness.

I went to the Towson show.

Devin Townsend was decent. I was dissapointed that he didn't play "Ants." Dark Tranquility was amazing. They put on an excellent live act. The songs they played were not too technical, but they were still a lot of fun. The bassist is the only part of that band I did not like. How old was he? :p

Anyways, Opeth was good. Mikael's vocals were too nasal for some reason though.

The setlist was like this I believe:

White Cluster
The Amen Corner
The Baying of the Hounds
Under the Weeping Moon
The Grand Conjuration
Drapery Falls

Not in the order though. And I am sure that I forgot one or two because I got stoned before the show.

Since when do jock pricks with shaved heads and quicksilver shirts come to Opeth shows just to mosh.

:rolleyes:

I don't get why you think that. Because he smiles a lot? Because he's energetic? Because he's nicer to the fans than any other metal singer in existence? Until stumbling across you, I've never heard anyone say anything other than what an energetic, amazing performance they put on. The bass player's a choad, I give you that, but the other members are just the nicest, friendliest guys ever, and I think THAT'S what comes across on stage, not...gayness.

Weird, because I thought the exact same thing. I hated the vocalist's gestures. He just seemed so fake. Although I can enjoy DT's music, I've never really liked their vocalist - too monotone - but the guy just rubs me the wrong way live. He's just annoying. I actually liked the bass player, who came out front, started mouthing the lyrics, and occasionally stopped playing to direct the crowd, a little bit better than their vocalist. It felt like those two were trying to overcompensate for the fact that the rest of them weren't doing music. Also, there was no variety in their set - I felt like the drummer played the exact same beat every song, and every one had the exact same feel. I didn't really get that impression on record, but live... just yuck. I felt like some of the songs could have been good with different vocals.

But god, the singer's stage mannerisms were intolerable. They just looked plain stupid.

their set list was good, but the sound guy didnt have the guitars loud enough at all. all i really heard was drums, vocals, bass, and keyboards. i figure the mids on the guitars werent high at all. i could hear all the high notes fine, but everything else was drowned out by everything else.

Also id like to add to the guy who made the thread. Your a TWAT for 4reasons. 1. Your afraid of Homosexuals 2. Mikael Stanne isnt Homosexual 3. If he was Homosexual what makes you think he'd touch you up 4. You cant comment on originality when your insults clearly arent in the slightest original.

Oh and also, if you didnt take the time to read this. Ill sum it up in one word. CUNT.

ON THE ACTUAL FUCKING SUBJECT:

The show was great. Good set list (someone posted the exact list elsewhere on the Forum). Devins were alright -- DT was a darn sight better than when I saw them a year ago and Opeth were everything I expected them to be... and more.

My first Opeth show ever and I couldn't have had more fun. Under the Weeping Moon live has given me a much great appreciation for the recorded version -- same with everything played really. I was so content at one point I just closed my eyes and absorbed it all as if I was on my own. It sounds a wee bit lame, but I couldn't care less.

As for the pit.. you find bald "Neo-Nazi" (what ever the fuck that means) dudes in them all the time. He was only having fun and he didn't hit me or my mate and I was standing right on the edge of the pit for most of the show -- so it's no biggie, honestly.

P.S. Mikael was a character. Great entertainer!! I'll be seeing them again -- that's for sure.

Agreed.

P.P.S Mendez was a STAR. The whole time he was rocking out! BassplayerForeverMore! MAN, can ya tell I'm still pumped up? :D

Oh one more thing - Anybody else agree that Axenrot sound 1000% better this go around? I saw him at the TLA show in Philly and at the time he just didn't mesh well. He was really on point at the Recher and impressed me a bunch. I just wish they'd have played some Bloodbath!

Lina said:
Like you (I gather), I, too, have a music/theory background, and so did most fans of the old stuff. It's the new stuff that's attracting all the knucklehead jocks who just want to mosh to some "heavy shit" and who talk and cheer during all the soft parts. I actually left halfway through last night's set because the crowd was so distracting to me. (Not to worry though, I've seen them 12 times already, lol.) So if you haven't done so already, you should work your way back through their discography, because if it's the typical metal sound you want to avoid, you'll love the older stuff even more than the new stuff.

Wow, so knowledge in music theory makes your opinion more valid than anyone else's? What, are we inferior to you in having musical taste just because we do not know scales, chords, time signatures, etc? Just to tell you, the guys of Opeth dont know music theory, and actually could care less about it. Not saying theory isnt important, but you seem to act like if your a fan of the older stuff you are obviously more knowledgeable about music and the way it works. Pretentious bastard.

I went to the Towson show.

Devin Townsend was decent. I was dissapointed that he didn't play "Ants." Dark Tranquility was amazing. They put on an excellent live act. The songs they played were not too technical, but they were still a lot of fun. The bassist is the only part of that band I did not like. How old was he?

haha, you expected Devin to play Ants. Lmao, that song is not really a song that could be pulled off too easily live. Their are over 200 different sound effects in that short song alone.

And if you dont like the new DTB, then tough. They are trying to tour to support it, so it makes sense for them to play mainly the new stuff. And i love Vampolka, and would fucking LOVE to see it. I would have been so much happier if I was able to get an opening DTB set with a regular Opeth set than to see the Opeth Chronology tour. I am dissapointed that DTB wont be there. So when I see someone complaining about seeing the NEW STUFF LIVE, I get pretty jealous and angry.

It IS funny that people expect bands to play all old songs when a new CD comes out.

By the way, to update that setlist up there, Opeth came out strong with Ghost Of Perdition (sans intro guitar)... Unfortunately the soundguy was apparently picking his nose because Mikael's vocals were silent until the third quarter of the first verse. Still... quite awesome. Plus I gotta say that it's probably the most perfect song they could start with. The way the first solo comes in is just priceless and sends shivers up your spine.

affinityband said:
Also id like to add to the guy who made the thread. Your a TWAT for 4reasons. 1. Your afraid of Homosexuals 2. Mikael Stanne isnt Homosexual 3. If he was Homosexual what makes you think he'd touch you up 4. You cant comment on originality when your insults clearly arent in the slightest original.

Oh and also, if you didnt take the time to read this. Ill sum it up in one word. CUNT.

1. No. 2. Are you sure? 3. Because I'm so fucking sexy. 4. Ok.

Also... Is Axenrot Opeth's touring drummer? I think he did well, but he doesn't seem to be used to playing light things, a little too much power in the soft parts, but nonetheless quite terrific. Doesn't feel right not seeing Martin back there, but considering all of the recent pictures show that the dark man is at this point more pale than the Swedes in the band... I think he definitely needs this break. It really does seem like the guy got into some bad things... I hope it is a legitimate "blood disorder".

affinityband said:
Plus those 'Jock guys' have been doing it for years. Its normal for anyone to mosh at a show. Just shows they are enjoying it. The guy you quoted is doofus.

I have been to some gigs and metal nights where wankers who dont give a shit about the music have gotten in just for a fight.. and dont mosh properly.. just kick the shit out of people and dont help them up... but that isnt all the time

EternalMetal said:
Wow, so knowledge in music theory makes your opinion more valid than anyone else's? What, are we inferior to you in having musical taste just because we do not know scales, chords, time signatures, etc? Just to tell you, the guys of Opeth dont know music theory, and actually could care less about it. Not saying theory isnt important, but you seem to act like if your a fan of the older stuff you are obviously more knowledgeable about music and the way it works. Pretentious bastard.
First, I mentioned that because it was relevent to Zeta7's opinion of Opeth's earlier fans, and I thought he'd find it interesting. And second, it's obvious that if you are listening for more "elements" in song-writing that you'll probably prefer more intricate music; i.e. Green Day fans don't realize the band is only playing 3 chords and couldn't care less. The older music was more intricate than the new; hence, people who appreciated intricacy are disappointed with the new stuff. Nothing groundbreaking there.