Opeth Is The Alltime Best Metal Group - Opeth Are God!!

Originally posted by bleedingskeptic
i could understand how this obsessiveness with opeth could close one's mind, but it hasn't happened to me. in fact, opeth broadened my musical outlook. if it weren't for opeth i probably wouldn't have ever checked out hundreds of other bands, ranging from porcupine tree to at the gates. all these bands i listen to know i had no idea existed before i heard opeth.

yea, opeth got me into the whole eurpean, death, black, doom, prog categories...if it wasn't for them i don't think my musical tastes would be the same...

and the tea party is mainstream :p

The Tea Party have always been mainstream in Canada. in the states their not really known, though.

Back to the whole Opeth idolizing issue, I don't see it as wrong, but I also don't see it as necessary. In my life I have rejected all forms of idols and role models (not out of religious reasons), and this includes bands as well. I don't have a favorite band: I have a favorite style of music and Opeth fills one tiny fraction of it. I recall several threads in which people complained how listening to Opeth made listening to other bands less enjoyable. I feel very sorry for those people because they are missing out on many great bands, ranging from simplistic to highly technical. Rejecting a band because they don't sound like Opeth is, to say the least, foolish. And I don't understand what is so great about Opeth? Sure, they are a good band with a bunch of cool riffs and arrangements, but I can say the same thing about every band in my CD collection. It goes without saying that this entire discussion is completely pointless, since it will not cause anybody to even try and see things from a different perspective. We are all aware that the egos on this forum exceed the capacity of cyber space and constantly clashing them against each other produces feeble discussions such as this one. Now that I wrote all of this, I feel sad that I was compelled to contribute.

Originally posted by Despot
....It goes without saying that this entire discussion is completely pointless, since it will not cause anybody to even try and see things from a different perspective. We are all aware that the egos on this forum exceed the capacity of cyber space and constantly clashing them against each other produces feeble discussions such as this one. Now that I wrote all of this, I feel sad that I was compelled to contribute.

Here comes the obvious.......

Ignore and don't post on threads you deem "pointless"

Get away from all us egomaniacs, and don't even waste your time in here

Or, as you've done above, contribute to the rest of the "pointlessness" in here as we all do :p