Opeth Is The Alltime Best Metal Group - Opeth Are God!!

You can prove your point as much as you like but Trapped will just continue with his "ass-kissing" and "sheep" lines anyway. He's either very stubborn, or just doing it for a laugh to piss people off, i think its part of both.

very good yayo, you are one of the few that actually realize that i am taking the piss out of alot of people here... congrats.

I don't care wether you love opeth or not... the times when i will say that you are 'sheep', for jokes or otherwise, are the times when people show blindness, and basically an unwillingness to find other forms of music that are stimulating.

Take for example that post a while ago when the guy said "I don't listen to anything but opeth, because opeth is the best" or something along those lines... Did that not make you question the mentality of this guy?? If he is saying that there is NO other bands that are worthwhile, and MORE worthwhile than Opeth, then he has a shortsighted problem... there are plenty of bands out there, and other styles of music.. but a number of people here have "Trapped themselves in a corner" in their musical tastes, and i think that is sad.

And no yayo, i am not 'elitist' in my musical tastes. If someone came on here saying that everyone compared to opeth sucks in terms of dark atmosphere, then i would point them in the direction of something like Dead Can Dance, The Tea Party, Sentenced or old nevermore... If they were so blind to think that opeth were technical at all, well... i'm sure you could work out what i would say... etc etc. I am not elitist towards any particular kind of music... i am only "elitist" when it comes to people who are unwilling to broaden their musical boundaries...!

-Trapped in an arguament about elitism...!

Originally posted by Trapped

I can see that this is pointed at me in at least one way or another, as i am the only person that is vocal about my negative feelings when it comes to opethmania.

Face it guys, the band is good, but they aren't gods, and they certainly aren't the best.

Hey,

Was not directly pointed at you - as these comments have floated around here for a long time.

I guess my point was that as I consider them my "favorite", it's also that they've somehow opened the floodgates to other bands and musical styles I never knew existed.

I would love to ask each and everyone who posts things like : "I listen to nothing but Opeth" to list their owned music, or truely ask what other music they listen to. If they truely answered just Opeth - I fully agree with you. Music can never be confined to a handful of bands or styles - that would show me they have no true love for music.

And BTW - The Tea Party in 3 days in Montreal - PSYCHED!!

Opeth were quite simply what id always been searching for in music, when i found them i thought id find many others who were just as good (remember, this is a personal opinion version of 'good') but i havent.

Thats cool man i just hope your embraced obsession doesnt hurts your music...again

who the fuck is this tea party thing and if they are so mainstream how come nor i nor anyone i fucking know has even mentioned them EVER? do i live in a fucking hole or are they not that mainstream at all?

Misanthrope ( who tends to think is both things )

metalmancpa:

I frankly don't give much of a fuck about obsessions as long as fanatics don't start saying incredibly moronic statements such as "OPETH IS THE ALLTIME BEST METAL BAND! OPETH IS GOD!" or things like "MIKAEL, LET ME GIVE YOU SOME HEAD, PLEEEEEEEEAAAAAASE!!!!!"

show up some fucking dignity, for fuck's sake.

As a few others said, its simply just one's opinion versus another person's. There is no reason to get angry with someone because they feel that one band is "the best" or whatever. Let it be.

Originally posted by Claire's Horror
metalmancpa:

I frankly don't give much of a fuck about obsessions as long as fanatics don't start saying incredibly moronic statements such as "OPETH IS THE ALLTIME BEST METAL BAND! OPETH IS GOD!" or things like "MIKAEL, LET ME GIVE YOU SOME HEAD, PLEEEEEEEEAAAAAASE!!!!!"

show up some fucking dignity, for fuck's sake.

Umm - me thinks you can't read.

Title of this thread = attention grabber : then, read the rest of my post. It's called making a point. And if you think I look fanatical - you need to re-read your dictionary.

And you asking me to show some dignity, followed by the words for fuck's sake, shows little class and no dignity :p

basically your point is "no wrong in loving a band", not actually "no wrong in sucking a band's dick". I didn't quite imply you do that, anyway. got to learn to be a more specific.

class is a very relative term. the phrase "for fuck's sake" is not indicative of a cultural level nor means I disrespect myself in any possible way, thus my dignity has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Originally posted by Misanthrope
Thats cool man i just hope your embraced obsession doesnt hurts your music...again
"again"?? fuck. whatever.

anyway, theres no "obsession", i barely listen to Opeth, even though they are still my favourite band. The reason they are my favourite band is just because of the effect they have on me when i do listen to them. But Opeth get no more or less play than any other band i listen to.

Actually to be honest i am my own favourite band now, i listen to myself the most, hehe. And if im not listening to my music or playing unthroned songs or playing guitar (of which i know only 2 opeth songs, TBYF and benighted) then chances are im listening to:
1. some new band that ive just downloaded who i havent heard before
2. random winamp playlist of my mp3 collection, which doesnt include songs i have on CD, and therefore only has the bonus Opeth tracks.

This is why i think people take this whole "asskissers" thing too far, people just automatically bump up what they say, especailly when they are surrounded by people who are gonna agree with them, the point is when i hear "Opeth are gods" i know what they are saying whereas some take it way to literally and seriously, the same person probably says "xxxx are gods" about 20 different bands depending on their mood and who they are with.