Opeth Is The Alltime Best Metal Group - Opeth Are God!!

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
Well, at least some of you claim that some of us feel this way.

I was just browsing through a few threads, and noticed some finger pointing towards the obsessiveness of some Opeth fans in this forum, so I felt like responding.

What's so wrong about "getting into" something. Sure, we may appear through words to have Opeth On The Brain, and we even may seem a bit (or more) fanatical. So what?

I've never seen the big deal about enjoying music. And, even if some are obsessed with Opeth - what's the worse that will happen? Will we use the word "love" a million times? Will we own 3 of every Opeth release? We'll spend $$ on posters, stickers, and other Opeth paraphenalia? Crap - it's a lot better than being obsessed with a cult, or guns, or something that could lead you to do something REALLY stupid and/or dangerous.

They are my favorite band as of today. It may change, but it hasn't yet. And couple that love for Opeth with a really active internet forum here @ Ultimate Metal, you get "excited" people here. Big deal.

Well said mmcpa... I try not to get involved in these discussions mainly because of what you just said... Ultimately, it's just one person's opinion against that of another, so arguing about it is pointless... I'd say just listen to your music and enjoy it...

People's tastes change... Right now, I too, am really digging Opeth... But it was a long road that I've travelled to get here and what's more, I know I haven't reached the end of this road... (The road is symbolic, heh heh) I might like Country music tomorrow... (Not likely, but it could happen... It's happened in the past, I'd be stupid to think that it couldn't happen in the future...) This applies to the members of any band, also... Things in their lives change or just simply their tastes can change... They'd be lying to themselves if they didn't reflect this changes in their music... I'd be willing to say that "Selling Out" is writing music for fans... They'd be "selling" themselves "out" by not following their heart... Screw the fans... Do what you want... Somebody will always be there to appreciate your work... (Unless it just TOTALLY sucks, heh heh...)

Originally posted by metalmancpa
Well, at least some of you claim that some of us feel this way.

I was just browsing through a few threads, and noticed some finger pointing towards the obsessiveness of some Opeth fans in this forum, so I felt like responding.

What's so wrong about "getting into" something. Sure, we may appear through words to have Opeth On The Brain, and we even may seem a bit (or more) fanatical. So what?

I've never seen the big deal about enjoying music. And, even if some are obsessed with Opeth - what's the worse that will happen? Will we use the word "love" a million times? Will we own 3 of every Opeth release? We'll spend $$ on posters, stickers, and other Opeth paraphenalia? Crap - it's a lot better than being obsessed with a cult, or guns, or something that could lead you to do something REALLY stupid and/or dangerous.

They are my favorite band as of today. It may change, but it hasn't yet. And couple that love for Opeth with a really active internet forum here @ Ultimate Metal, you get "excited" people here. Big deal.

Thats just plain sad. Whats wrong? you inevitably close yourself to other things, no matter how hard you try to be open minded you end up being an open minded pretender if you obsess about a band like most of you do with opeth. You start loosing all objetivity, is like a women when you are inlove with one you consider her the most beautiful human being there is, truth is 9 out of 10 times she was just a bitch and you were too fucking dumb to see it comming.

Misanthrope ( failed 10 of 10 times but found that 1 that wasnt a bitch at all....)

Originally posted by Misanthrope

Thats just plain sad. Whats wrong? you inevitably close yourself to other things, no matter how hard you try to be open minded you end up being an open minded pretender if you obsess about a band like most of you do with opeth. You start loosing all objetivity, is like a women when you are inlove with one you consider her the most beautiful human being there is, truth is 9 out of 10 times she was just a bitch and you were too fucking dumb to see it comming.

Misanthrope ( failed 10 of 10 times but found that 1 that wasnt a bitch at all....)

Yeah - I see your point. That's true about ALL obsessions. But, do all obsessions blind you from your surroundings? In some things - sure it does, like your example of a love for someone. But in music? I tend not to think so. At least I do, and I bet many others do, listen to plenty of other music. I have 400+ CD's, 1,500+ Mp3's, obviously Opeth makes up a small % of these. I think obsessiveness in music is still limited. Even when I saw Slipknot, and all the "fans" dressed up - I bet when they go home, they take off the make up (well, most of them :) ), and put some other music on.

I just think that little harm is done professing a love for a particular band - for those who really enjoy music may miss some things, but the ear generally leads them to other music also, and broadens their musical horizon.

i could understand how this obsessiveness with opeth could close one's mind, but it hasn't happened to me. in fact, opeth broadened my musical outlook. if it weren't for opeth i probably wouldn't have ever checked out hundreds of other bands, ranging from porcupine tree to at the gates. all these bands i listen to know i had no idea existed before i heard opeth.

@ Misanthrope: Do you have a favorite band that you like to listen to? Or are you like me and have a band (or simply types of music) that fit whatever particular mood you're in?

Yeah there has been a lot of anti-Opeth stuff going on here for a while.I mean if you don't like the band all that much then why browse the forum,it doesn't really make much sense to me,and a lot of these people that have nothing positive to say about that band are regulars here! weird if you ask me.

Then there is this selling-out thing that has been going around here.To me bands that sell-out are bands that follow a trend that is primitive, a trend that appeals to a mass number of people.Then we have bands like Opeth that are so good at what they do that..that in itself draws in a large number of people.So there is a significant difference, some people here are just to stupid to realize this.

Originally posted by bleedingskeptic
i could understand how this obsessiveness with opeth could close one's mind, but it hasn't happened to me. in fact, opeth broadened my musical outlook. if it weren't for opeth i probably wouldn't have ever checked out hundreds of other bands, ranging from porcupine tree to at the gates. all these bands i listen to know i had no idea existed before i heard opeth.

ABSOLUTELY

The # of bands that have come from my knowledge of Opeth are amazing. And just the interest in music in general Opeth has sparked in me speaks for itself.

I can't even begin to think of the post-Opeth new band list, but I was introduced to a whole new non-American view of metal: Dimmu, Finntroll, etc.

I can't even begin to think of the post-Opeth new band list, but I was introduced to a whole new non-American view of metal: Dimmu, Finntroll, etc.
i know, before opeth i didn't realize how much american metal sucked!! i only heard of a few bands from out of the US before opeth, now i'm ordering shit from all over the world.

It's called Networking... In business, you Network to broaden your list of connections in the business community... With Opeth (and more accurately, UM) we are broadening our lists of musical connections... (finally getting around to checking Katatonia out as we speak... heh heh... My Dying Bride before that...)

Yeah, I'd like to see where all these 'fanatical' Opeth fans are.... I've noticed those comments too, and apart from the occassional "Opeth are the best" comments (which most of the time are exagerrated to be funny), I can't see how people draw that conclusion about the people here. We like Opeth. Big friggin deal. Noone has ever said that it is to the exclusion of all other bands (I have no idea how Misanthrope got that idea).
And anyway, Opeth are somewhere in my top 10, but not in my top 5 :D

Opeth was a gateway for me as well, not only did they guide me to numerous bands, I found a favorite band in them.

You can prove your point as much as you like but Trapped will just continue with his "ass-kissing" and "sheep" lines anyway. He's either very stubborn, or just doing it for a laugh to piss people off, i think its part of both.

I mean he gives off the exact thing he is arguing against. Elitism because of his choice in music.

What defines "Good" music? In my opinion the biggest thing in deciding that is 1."Does the listener enjoy the music and get something from it?"... technicilaties only mean anything to the point where they achieve the aims of the artist. Yes Opeth arent perfect, their guitar skills are good but not godly, their music could be even more proggy, they could use many other music techniques which they dont do to enhance their songs. But if of all the thousands of music i listen to, Opeth has the biggest effect on me, then why should i give credit to the other bands? I mean i know they're skilled, and i can read other peoples opinions to see they do really get into them and love them, while not liking Opeth, and thats good, whatever suits them. But that doesnt mean im gonna run around saying these guys are gods, why would i? i obviously dont understand the music perfectly, even if i like some of the elements and can see its skill. So what band should i call "perfect"? For me the most "perfect" band is the one that effects me the most, which is Opeth.

This brings me onto another point. People naturally appear to get a bit self centered, its a quality of a human being, not of an opeth fan in particular They talk about their opinion as if its not just an opinion. It doesnt mean they think this way, its just the way humans interact with each other. If i say "Opeth are gods" i mean "Of those bands that i love Opeth are technically the best and they are one of my favourite bands".... "Opeth are gods" doesnt mean "Opeth play guitar better than anyone else". "Opeth are the best", all these things are just ways of expressing a personal opinion, few who say this would believe Opeth are technically the best in the world, few who say this would believe Opeth are everyones cup of tea, its just a way of expressing a personal opinion.

I mean the funny thing is that Trapped claims there are "more emotional" bands, which is hilarious, its obvious people here search out so many new bands but nothing has as big an effect on them, and its not due to closed mindedness, like many here ive found a few bands and they;ve hit me immediately and had an effect, but then it quickly dies or there isnt the depth to it that i had with Opeth. And along the road ive found music that affects me in completely different ways and i love that (Katatonia, Genesis, In Flames, etc) and they are important, but its just that such bands still dont personally suit me as much as Opeth. Emotional effect is a completely subjective thing, this is a case of Trapped being Hypocritical, saying that the effect music has on him is somehow nothing but a subjective opinion.

Opeth were quite simply what id always been searching for in music, when i found them i thought id find many others who were just as good (remember, this is a personal opinion version of 'good') but i havent.

Originally posted by Misanthrope

You are so wrong man, I am really obsessive about Opeth, they are my favourite band by far but they havent made me more closed minded on the contrary, if it wasnt for Opeth, Pantera and AC/DC would probalby be the only bands I would ever listen to. But bacause of Opeth and this lovely Forum I have found some great music to enjoy: Cynic, My dying Bride, Genesis, King Crimson, Katatonia and Gordian Knot to name a few. My interest in learning about music theory and becoming a better guitar player have aslo increased, and I want to thank Opeth for that.

I think what Misanthrope said is ONE thing that does happen from time to time. Maybe he's known a lot of people that it's happened to. Not to me however. What, are ya jealous because you're not IN LOVE with any certain music yourself? :p

If I listed my favorite bands before I found Opeth, you'd laugh. I didn't even know I could like music this much! There was something instantly that I loved about Mikael's use of clean and death, and not to mention how WELL the death vox sounded.

A few HELL YEAH's for:

I've never seen the big deal about enjoying music. Ditto that.

...finally getting around to checking Katatonia out as we speak And? What do ya think? Share with the group, won't you? :)

Opeth was a gateway for me as well, not only did they guide me to numerous bands, I found a favorite band in them. Me too. They were my gateway drug to greater things. Great metal.

I'll be a fanatic if I want to...so THERE! :lol:

I can see that this is pointed at me in at least one way or another, as i am the only person that is vocal about my negative feelings when it comes to opethmania.

Face it guys, the band is good, but they aren't gods, and they certainly aren't the best.

Satori was bemused when i laughed (or joked? i cant remember) at when he said that his tolerance for progressiveness had been raised by opeth. He honestly didn't have a clue why i made the comment. If someone is to think that Opeth are the 'most progressive' band out there, or the most technical, then you have problems. Opeth aren't technical or complex at all, but yes, they are decently progressive in one way or another... but there are many better groups out there, in terms of complexity, technicality in musicianship, progressiveness, and overal musicality... it seems as thought alot of you are blind to that, and i think it is a little sad.