Opeth Lyrics

katatonic_fear

God of Apathy
Dec 4, 2004
Colorado
There's always questions asked about what Opeth's lyrics are about, and I found the answer about two of the albums. I can't remember where this site was (i'll find it, though), but luckily when I did find it (over 6 months ago) I copied this part of the Interview. This is real, too. I'm not kidding, and as soon as I rediscover the site I'll post it.

"Would you summarize the basic concepts for each one?"

"For 'My Arms, Your Hearse' it was like a ghost story. The basic theme was that this person dies. He's kind of reborn as a ghost, and he stays in the same environment. He sees his loved ones, like family members and friends, going on with their lives. It's almost like a film - what's it called? The Sixth Sense - he doesn't understand that he is dead - but I wrote it actually before the Sixth Sense came out. It's almost like a film. 'Still Life' was not Satanic but an anti-Christian theme. It sounds pretty naive when I explain it like this. It kind of takes place a long time ago when Christianity had a bigger importance than it has today. The main character is kind of banished from his hometown because he hasn't got the same faith as the rest of the inhabitants there. The album pretty much starts off when he is returning after several years to hook up with his old "babe." Obviously a lot of bad things start happening with, as I call it on the album, "the council." The big bosses of the town know that he's back. A lot of bad things start happening. They see him as a hypocrite in a way. It's almost like a devil's advocate or whatever it's called."

There you have it, from the mouth of Mikeal himself.

THis is taken from the page of Lamentations of the Flame Princess. I assume many of you have read it but i'll paste it anyway:

Conceptually, can you describe for us the essence of each album?

I have to admit that some moments on Orchid confuses me totally. Lyricwise, I just wrote without giving a simple thought on what came out. But you could say it’s more or less about being a servant to powers beyond the reach of humans. Not necessary satanic, but maybe close. The title suggests beauty mixed with darkness, thus the pink orchid with the black background. That’s somewhat the essence of our music. With Morningrise I was in a depressed state actually, and the lyrics came out the way they did. My grandfather had died, and The Night and the Silent Water was dedicated to his memory. To Bid You Farewell was written after I broke up with my girlfriend after 3 years. She fucked another guy and it made me very angry and depressed, and inspired to do something about it. The remaining part was about some reflections of the afterlife if it exists. I simply wrote about what I thought would happen after death, this goes mostly for Advent. Black Rose is a track that we first wrote back in 1991, and I’m very pleased by having it on an album, finally. It’s a short story touching the same themes as I fully wrote about on MAYH. Nectar is about nightmares, can you believe? The latest album is my first concept album, of which I am truly satisfied. It’s basically about dying and becoming a ghost or spirit trapped in the form of mist on earth, and being confronted with the reactions of those being close. It reaches throughout one earthly year, and during this time, the character tries to affect people and subjects, but without much success. It results only in the character scaring his loved ones to death, thus he plunges into a wicked state of mind, and wants to bring his beloved with him to the other side. Once confronted with this impossible task, the mood builds into terror (Demon of the Fall), but soon goes into depression after realising the way it has to be (Credence). However, Karma and Epilogue is telling the final rest, the ghost being at peace and finally being able to cross the line to the other side. The subject chosen can maybe be looked upon as naive, but I think death is a great subject to write about as nobody can tell you that you’re wrong. You can make up own stories on what you think happens.

Actually, Katatonic Fear, I posted the full interview and some more. (if you want, look it up as: Opeth Interviews, but you have it already)
Demoke, I didn't read that, thank you.
\m/

Luz.-