Opeth makes you better at math!

soilkane

Mar 20, 2003
Hey all, just thought I'd stop by and let you guys in on a little info even though I'm not a forum regular or anything. Well, the truth is, Opeth may actually help you do better at math! You see, I am psychology major at a University and for a certain course we all had to do experiments on the class in groups. Well the entire end of the semester you don't have lecture, you just go in and be a guinnea pig for a few experiments.

So it was a regular day and I'm sitting with the other subjects and the experimenters hand out us math problems to do. Their experiment, simple enough, was to see if a certain type of music playing(decently loud, but not blasting at all)can affect the amount of correct answers. We were given a set time limit and then asked to begin, a second later they started playing, much to my surprise, Opeth! Now I like Opeth, don't get me wrong, but it's just that I never got too into them(so I have no idea what song it was). It was a slower-tempo death metal song, for sure. The other type of music they played was classical(to the other half of the subjects, so they could compare the groups).

Of course, they hypothesized the classical group would do significantly better than my group, which listened to Opeth. Well you guessed it, not only were their results opposite of what they expected, but people in my group did Significantly Better!! (If you know stats, this is impressive).

I dunno, I just found that nuts because it is just opposite of what you might expect.

So go spread the word, death metal makes you smarter!

Maybe the other group was too relaxed (knowing you're listening to death metal while doing math :lol: ) and didn't try hard enough?

Anyway, who says music puts weight on anything?

Skullzz said:
:err: Then why do I still suck at math?

because Opeth only makes normal people good at math. You, have an extra chromosome..and who knows...Opeth might make you better at the special olympics.

Well, what the thread opener said is not completely wrong, although I'd also like to know what type of classical music, meaning, from which historical period, the other people was listening to. I say this because I know Baroque music lets you concentrate better on something you want to do or something you're doing. Of course, that's not to say you'll gain mathematical wisdom from music, but your body physically and mentally and, most important, unconsciously reacts to the stimulus of music. And baroque type of music -I would certainly include Opeth to some extent, especially the Still Life album- makes you more, how to say, into an active mood, so to speak. This works for me, definitely, even though I don't think I'm good at Maths anymore, since it's been years since I had my last Maths lesson. And my plants in the living room, they also have a good feeling for Opeth. They grow like mad and are healthy... haven't you heard that plants also react to music stimuli?

Well, I love Opeth - and I'm a high school math teacher! I actually use my knowledge of harder music to work with some of my less enthusiastic students.

For example: I have this kid now who always wears the black shirts and comes in with headphones blasting the latest group of his choosing. But, he can't do math. So I had him come in after school yesterday to go over the test he failed. Keep in mind that the whole time he's playing the part - one word answers, head down, no smiles, etc. - Depressed Youth of America.

So I go over the test with him, and he couldn't care less. As he's leaving, I'm trying to give him encouraging words - I say, "hey, what's your favorite Iron Maiden album?" Without hesitation, he says, "Number of the Beast." We spent the next 5 minutes discussing metal music. I told him I saw Maiden when I was 16 on the Fear of the Dark tour. Now he thinks I am a god and listens intently to every word I have to say in class.

I rule.

the_drip said:
because Opeth only makes normal people good at math. You, have an extra chromosome..and who knows...Opeth might make you better at the special olympics.

I do? Which one? Oooh, I know! I must have trisomy 13!

PERI172.jpg

I hope you weren't trying to insinuate that I have trisomy 21... tsk tsk... :err:

i find opeth is one of the best flowing bands, or types of music for that matter so maybe because their music flow is just so natural, your not so distracted when your doing work, it just flows. i always listen to opeth when im doing homework or doing an exam, it just helps me relax. even if its the heavier stuff

soilkane said:
Of course, they hypothesized the classical group would do significantly better than my group, which listened to Opeth. Well you guessed it, not only were their results opposite of what they expected, but people in my group did Significantly Better!! (If you know stats, this is impressive).

I dunno, I just found that nuts because it is just opposite of what you might expect.

So go spread the word, death metal makes you smarter!
No, No! Bad psychology major! Do you know what makes you good at math? practising math, yeah, thats right, practising math!