Opeth now is business!

what mike is saying is that every band is a business. every band has a record label. every band has to be fucked over by the record label's wants/needs. every band must conform from DAY ONE if they want a deal with the record label. its a contract. even if you don't know you have already "sold out." but only the idiots use those 2 words...

I totally agree with Åkerfeldt though I think it´s really a fucked up label that want´s to control whatever live-material is released!

I´m not pissed at opeth and you shouldn´t be either Ectoplasma. It´s Music For Nation who are shallow minded.

And no Opeth doesn´t really have a choice since it´s pretty fucking hard and time-demanding to find a new label that will release all their material on a live album.

Korlich said:
I totally agree with Åkerfeldt though I think it´s really a fucked up label that want´s to control whatever live-material is released!

I´m not pissed at opeth and you shouldn´t be either Ectoplasma. It´s Music For Nation who are shallow minded.

And no Opeth doesn´t really have a choice since it´s pretty fucking hard and time-demanding to find a new label that will release all their material on a live album.

I don't really think that the point is MFN not letting them play the earlier stuff,I just think it's the fact that they won't bother paying/giving percents from the sales to Candlelight.

I don't think they should have to pay royalties to Candlelight. The band never signed a publishing deal with Candlelight at the beginning and ended up signing the rights for the first three albums to Zomba, the same company who bankrolls MFN.

I dunno what the problem could be, so maybe it's down to the promotional aspect? Only including the songs that MFN would see benefit for from potential sales? I doubt that though. I don't think Mike would allow the band to be dictated to in such a way.

I know Opeth has a contract, they have to obey it but it's an Opeth album, it's their music, so if they don't like the idea of having a dvd with only the MFN catalogue, why they don't call MFN and just say "people, we are not going to release this material because we don't like it that much". In that way I'm saying that Opeth is business: they didn't like the set list, they know it's only for promotion, they know MFN was asking them for it, so they don't mind at all 'cause money will come, everybody will buy it anyway. Of course I don't know the contract, maybe there says that Opeth should follow MFN desires.

Why do you think, that Opeth doesn't like this setlist? This are their newest songs, so i think they like'em pretty much. Sure, that would like to play some older songs either, but i think it is a pleasure for them to record a DVD and so they use this chance and play stuff they like.

If they want to make that much money, that would make much more advertisment for the DVD on the live gigs, but mikeal said nothing about the DVD, afaik in Berlin.

Edit: Kata was faster. Hmpf ... but thats what i wanted to say!

i have to say, (this is the first time ive heard about this no-old-shit problem) that bloody sucks! go the devy townsend way and be your own fuckin boss! thats completely fucked up that bands don't get to make choices like this. MFN would have to pay royalties to candlelight right?

speakin of devy i saw SYL last monday. \m/ \m/

Ectoplasma said:
dudes, you didn't figure out the point here...
So what is the point? Are you just bitching and planning on getting over it, or is this your final declaration that you will never listen to Opeth ever again, cause they are too busy rolling in their money to listen to their greatest, yet betrayed "old school" fan?

Either way, I can guarantee they don't care.

Opeth won't release a live album, at least I don't think. Most of you know about the gig in Ft. Lauderdale, FL (04/29/01), and on that same day they did an interview I have where Mikael says "I'm not really a live album guy." or something like that. I don't think they'll do that. A DVD is fine. Led Zeppelin did a DVD. Are they a business? Well, heh, maybe, but it doesn't make them a bad band.

No band sells out until they use cheap tricks to rake in fans and their money. I don't see Opeth having naked women on their album covers or in their videos(*cough* dimmu borgir *cough*). I think I even read an interview with Mikael and he said he didn't like how bands do that. I have no problem with a band becoming successful as long as the success is based on them having excellent music...in which case Opeth obviously does.

Until Opeth cut their hair and start making cheesy simple 3 minute song albums and use visual ploys to rake in cash they will have my respect.