OPETH PHOTOS from Montreal, Canada (January 17, 2003)

WrthChild

Nov 29, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.jollyrogerinc.com
It took several weeks to secure photo passes to the Opeth shows in Montreal and Toronto, but damn, was it ever worth it. Foufones Electriques is a great venue, lots of bright lights and a raised stage, and I managed to pull off some really great photos. You can check them out on my website:

http://www.jollyrogerinc.com/photo/2003/opeth-foufs.html

And just for the hell of it, here are a few teasers:

TAPPING THE VEIN

016.jpg

PARADISE LOST

032.jpg

036.jpg

OPETH

055.jpg

069.jpg

084.jpg

Check out the full collection (89 photos) online here:

http://www.jollyrogerinc.com/photo/2003/opeth-foufs.html

The key is getting up close early. I was right beside Wrthchild for a majority of the show and chatted with him quite a long time between sets. There was plenty of room for moonlyght, tapping the vein, and paradise lost. It got crunching when Opeth came out, and he had to back out to the side after about 4 songs because of the crush of bodies, but luckily Opeth took a longer break then so he could part the crowd and save his camera and personal injury, which I unfortunately did not (I have some bruised ribs and a swollen forearm from bracing against the stage :( ) . You can see my hand just above the monitor in one of the shots from the side in a Black and White photo of Opeth on the second page of the collection :D . A fun evening althogether and I remember every single part of the concert when the photos were taken. This has to be my number 2 alltime show next to dream theater and satriani in toronto.

Hey Dave, how are you doing? :D

Dvoters - I pushed my way up to the front during Tapping the Vein's set. It wasn't easy, but once I got there, I was fine. The venue was so packed that even when I tried to move away from the stage, I had to fight my way out.

And there will be more photos coming next week after the Toronto show...

Dream Theatre was technically good live, but they have no emotion at all. Satriani was awesome, but I am not too into his music. If that is your all time favorite show, you need to get out more.

Originally posted by Duvall
Hey! how did you get photo rights?? I emailed and got a resounding NO!

Who do I talk to? I would REALLY like to be able to shoot some nice stuff at the show... yaar

What kind of camera do you have? If it's small, you can probably just sneak it in. But I didn't tell you that...

In order to get a photo pass, you usually need some kind of media credentials. I agreed to 1) post all photos and reviews on my website, which gets a fair amount of traffic; 2) write reviews for a University of Toronto newspaper where I work; 3) give the bands/labels access to the photos in case they want to use them. That was enough to get the passes. Who did you ask?

Oaklain:

the venue I saw DT and satriani at was just so amazing it was perfect for a concert of sitting and watching talented artists tear it up :) . I've only seen about 8 shows now total, and since I live in a town that gets no metal support at all (we were supposed to have slayer play here last year, but it only sold approx 2,000 tickets for a venue that holds 10,000 with a city pop of 1,000,000 :( ). And since I'm still in high school etc, I don't get a chance to get around much for shows. If only I lived in Europe, I would be at festivals during the summer every second day.

I regret not bringing a camera since I didn't get patted down for shit at foufs at all (at metropolis they are ruthless). I could have gotten some amazing shots including a few with the members of bands who were at the bar after the show. The process to get a photo pass is too much work for lazy old me, so I'd never try to do that. Wrath certainly has a passion for photography, so obviously it's nothing major to do I'm sure :) .

Btw, do you ever try selling your photos to metal mags to use?

Originally posted by Greenwater_Pond
Btw, do you ever try selling your photos to metal mags to use?

Not yet; at this point, I'm focusing more on working with the actual bands. I've done photo work for some local metal bands around Toronto, and have started to get interest from some bigger names, which is promising. I got an email recently from Destruction, who want to use some of my photos for their next album, so that is pretty cool. As for magazines - I know I should start talking to them soon - just haven't really got around to it yet.