Opeth Picks

AFairJudgement0

A fair judgement deserved
Jan 2, 2006
Guelph/Peterborough, Ontario
I know that Opeth uses Dunlop picks, and Ive tried very hard in teh past to get a hold of one of them at their shows, but i have been unsuccessful to this day. I was wondering that one of the lucky owners of these picks could tell me the guage and type of dunlop pick they use... If you know please let me know!

AFairJudgement0 said:
I know that Opeth uses Dunlop picks, and Ive tried very hard in teh past to get a hold of one of them at their shows, but i have been unsuccessful to this day. I was wondering that one of the lucky owners of these picks could tell me the guage and type of dunlop pick they use... If you know please let me know!
they use opeth picks, and its about 1.0

I can't stand thick picks. I use dunlop herco flex .75's. they're not so thin as to allow for sloppy playing, but they're thin enough to be easier and more comfortable to play still. I don't get why everyone uses such thick picks.

I have picks from Peter and Mike. Peter's is a blue 1mm Dunlop, and Mike's is a black/brownish Dunlop USA 'H'. Well that's what it says.

I prefer Dunlop Tortex picks... usually the black .88 type.

Picks are a weird subject, some people completely overrate them, and others don't really give a shit. Although, they do make a difference in tone. The thicker the pick, the darker the tone will become. Also, there's the whole matter of playability, etc.

bogii said:
usa nylon 1mm (black)

mike used them at sweden rock 2004 anyhow

thats my favorite pic

i love the feel of the nylons. they have a smooth and soft attack...they don't have quite the edge, but i think that they bring out the milkshake mids.

Peter actually scratches his pick for grip. He thre me his pick at the last Toronto show and he had made a large, deep scratch right through the Opeth crest...probably for grip when its between his lips or something.

Kerry King

I don't see why a lot of people like thin picks...I tried using a .5mm pick on a friend's guitar, and I couldn't do jack with it. Give me a 3mm Stubby and I'll play parts of Deliverance for you. Keeping in mind that I'm a bass player, I use 3mms when I play bass with a pick too (not often)

NicholasDWolfwood said:
I don't see why a lot of people like thin picks...I tried using a .5mm pick on a friend's guitar, and I couldn't do jack with it. Give me a 3mm Stubby and I'll play parts of Deliverance for you. Keeping in mind that I'm a bass player, I use 3mms when I play bass with a pick too (not often)

yikes... 3 mm would drive me nuts.. I agree with a lot of ppls comments tho that picks are finnicky and it really depends on the guitarist. I for one use dunlops from .87 - 1mm and I need some type of grip when im playing metal stuff else im dropping the damn thing wayy too often. When I first started playing guitar I got into real bad habits of holding my pick wrong. I really liked my old style for strumming (b/c thats the kind of music I used to play alot) and then had to switch to a firmer grip now that I play faster/more complicated play styles. What are your guys thoughts on play style, and do you switch your grip when you are playing different types of music?

i also got one of peter's picks with the deep ridges in it, except it was a Fender pick. pretty thick, and its kinda of a clearish orangish color. probably somewhere close to 1 mm, but under. it that helps.

I use Dunlop Tortex 1.0mm and 1.4mm for my lead playing and .88mm for my acoustic shit.