Opeth Riffs, yet again...

Moonstruck

The Twilight Is My Robe
Jan 13, 2004
So, are we still playing guitar people? The older thread went kinda offtopic so I started a new one (just lazy).

Today I finally borrowed a bass from someone so I recorded bassparts as well, which is pretty sweet.

(Copy & Paste links)

Twilight part:
-

Came out pretty cool I think, only the distortion is little overkill, I can't seem to find a good Opeth-like distortion on my Metal Zone.

Benighted:
-

Sounds pretty nice with bass, solo is a bit sloppy, didn't care to play better I guess. :Smug: Also, the drums were added afterwards, which is not really handy.

Well tell me what you think, and keep recording those riffs! :headbang:

How did you record the guitars there? They sound pretty buzzy but the recordings are put together nicely.

I won't be able to record anything for a while. Something fucked up with windows services and my soundcard refuses to play my guitar back to me when I line in.

Moonlapse said:
How did you record the guitars there? They sound pretty buzzy but the recordings are put together nicely.

I won't be able to record anything for a while. Something fucked up with windows services and my soundcard refuses to play my guitar back to me when I line in.

I programmed the drums obviously, recorded the bass via the line in on my PC, and the distortion guitars with my crappy PC mic. I don't get a good sound when I line in distortion guitars, but haven't experimented much with it. The clean parts of Benighted are also lined in.

Too bad you can't record stuff. :erk:

ei, the drums sound really good, may ask you what you used to do the programmed drums? i mean the program and the samples

Oceana said:
ei, the drums sound really good, may ask you what you used to do the programmed drums? i mean the program and the samples

The program is called leafDrums, the samples are from the ns_kit 7. Google them.

I'll be doing the solo from Serenity Painted Death whenever I get some free time.

My crappy distortion pedal doesn't give nearly the right tone, so I play with little distortion and add it in on the computer, where I can control everything a lot more tightly.

Niel, I don't think I said it the first time you posted those files, but I think that April Ethereal recording is the best I've heard by you, and in general one of the best home song cover parts I've ever heard.

For those of you not familiar with the recording process, the reason Opeth achieves such good tone and depth is because when rhythm guitars are recorded, each track is recorded four times and they are then layered...if you reallllllly listen, you can notice this (not so much in Opeth as in other bands, however).

But dear God, that distortion is obnoxious. Absolutely terrible. The performance, no offence, also needs a lot of work, but it would be tolerable to listen to if only the production were better. You said you are using your computer to record? Even if you are using a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and simply plugging into the "Line In" jack and playing over a drum machine, you can do better than that (especially if you have a preamp...if not, plug into your amp and mic it or use a line out). Use an effects pedal for chrissake, or buy/steal the VST Amplitube or Ampfarm plugin (Steve Wilson uses Ampfarm, at least for PT...)

But friends, layering is the key. THAT is how Opeth achieves that miraculous tone

yea i know, that big project has come up every once in a while and im thinking its not going to happen.

i noticed that also moonlapse, it says you cant line in through an amp modeler.. has to be put through spkrs and mic'ed.