Opeth Vinyl (I've got it, but...)

Graveless Soul

Tranquility Personified
Jun 8, 2001
UK
www.btinternet.com
Today through the post I received three lovely LPs by the name of Orchid, Morningrise and My Arms Your Hearse.

I was just wondering if anybody else has them yet? If so, are they as dissapointed as I am?

Don't get me wrong, I am finally happy to have these three masterpieces on vinyl, but I see it as an opportunity missed.

For a start, no gatefolds!! I hate it when double LPs come in single sleeve covers. Gatefolds would have been ideal for artwork such as Opeth's (Blackwater Park being a superb example), or it would have made a great place to put the lyrics (which also aren't included anywhere on any of the LPs at all!). Just imagine a gatefold containing the lyric layout that appears in MAYH, or that amazing group shot that accompanies Morningrise.

Also, the quality of the artwork with Morningrise is terrible. It looks like somebody's just scanned in the CD cover and enlarged it so much that the screen is really showing through. The back also looks the same. (They've also added the logo on all the covers like the CD reissues - I prefer the original ones).

I could have done the artwork a lot better than what it is! In fact, I might just go out and do that. I wonder if I can find somewhere that will print cheap LP covers....

Yeah I have heard they were not that nice looking but I will still get them none the less. I wish I had the original Opeth cd's with no logo on the front. I have the Century Media versions with the logo. If anyone can get their hands on the originals and would be willing to sell/trade them I would be very interested.

Also, the quality of the artwork with Morningrise is terrible. It looks like somebody's just scanned in the CD cover and enlarged

That's exactly what they've done I'm afraid. The CD re-issue is of a noticably poorer quality, too.

The original syquest containing the artwork for the CD was lost as I reused it for something else (I know, I know, but I never expected it to be re-released with different logos and bonus tracks. That's not something I would have ever encouraged. ).

Candlelight should still have access to the films for the original pressing's artwork, so there's no reason why they couldn't have taken a bromide of that and enlarged it. Besides a financial one of course...

Lee B

"I wish I had the original Opeth cd's with no logo on the front. I have the Century Media versions with the logo. If anyone can get their hands on the originals and would be willing to sell/trade them I would be very interested."

You mean those records standing in my bookshelf? Sorry, I don´t sell them, not even if someone was pointing a gun to my head.

I can order all old cd's (without those annoying bonus-tracks)
from cdon.com.......only prob for you guys is that it's only
for scandinavians, I think.........

I just (10 minutes ago) ordered the old Morningrise cd....

In relation to my complaint about the artwork of the vinyl.

I can't believe I've only just noticed this, but on Orchid they've changed the running order! :mad:

It goes from "In The Mist..." to "Silhouette" to "Forest of October" and then "...Weepng Moon". It seems like me casting my artistic eye over the lack of effort going into the artwork has detracted from the most important point - THE MUSIC!!

By the way Lee, how comes they weren't released on vinyl the first time round? :confused:

By the way Lee, how comes they weren't released on vinyl the first time round?

A mixture of finances and logistics really. There wasn't the demand for vinyl when those albums were originally released that there is today, and it would have taken too much money to do. Even when we released 2000 vinyl copies of the Emperor "In The Nightside.." they took 18 months to sell, so...

What with the sales disasters of the Solstice and Whores Of Babylon CDs, I just couldn't afford to keep a large amount of money tied up in a vinyl pressing at the time. Simple as that really.

Lee B