Opeth vs. Dream Theater, battle of the completely different prog bands!

Dream Theater or Opeth?

• Dream Theater

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Opeth

Votes: 56 86.2%
  • They both suck... wait, why am I on this board?

Votes: 3 4.6%

• Total voters
mogomgomgomg... 2 people said both suck! :eek:

I love Dream Theater and Opeth, they're both in my top 5 methinks.. however...

Opeth is consistently art...

Dream Theater is earcandy...

Now, there are several DT pieces that are deep and are meant to be more than just earcandy, Space Dye Vest being a prime example... but Dream Theater tend to focus on making special, proggy, challenging music, just for the sake of it... which is nice but less rewarding than Opeth...

Originally posted by Eirik

Now, there are several DT pieces that are deep and are meant to be more than just earcandy, Space Dye Vest being a prime example... but Dream Theater tend to focus on making special, proggy, challenging music, just for the sake of it... which is nice but less rewarding than Opeth...

I think the "Awake" album runs counter to your theory. But you are spot on if this is applied to the disaster known as "Six Degrees Of Intestinal Flatulance".

yeah.. their modern stuff is more technically based and all that...

nobody can deny the yumminess of certain tracks tho', both in the profound sense and in the technical sense... Scarred, SDV, Learning to live, ACOS and all those.. :eek:

Also if ya'll think DT are the best musicians out there then I suggest checking out the absurdly technical Cynic album. They literally play circles around DT, and that's not an exaggeration.

Cynic are a great band, I have Focus, but to try and say they're more technical than DT is an absolutely absurd statement. I don't know how you could say that, seriously, I dont

Dream Theatre may be the best band on the planet but they're sooo boring... if you're going to power/prog :p... then I suggest the latest Symphony X album... it just rocks... and it's never boring. I love their neo classical influences... and Michael Romeo can shred too.

Originally posted by Moonlapse
If you're looking for technicality, why not look around for some Jazz or Classical or Flamenco or such? As far as technicality goes I heard those 3 genres blow metal outta the water...

Gee... maybe because we like technicality in a metal context. I love the sound of metal... and I love technical music... hence a desire for technical or progressive metal.

If you're looking for technicality, why not look around for some Jazz or Classical or Flamenco or such? As far as technicality goes I heard those 3 genres blow metal outta the water...

Jazz can be fun, but for the most part it bores the hell out of me. It's like they went into the recording studio with no direction and did whatever they want. I know it's an old cliche, but classical hurts my head ~_~.

Originally posted by Schraiber
Jazz can be fun, but for the most part it bores the hell out of me. It's like they went into the recording studio with no direction and did whatever they want.

I agree completely. Not to discount the genre... there's plenty of great stuff... and I especially like it when metal bands incorporate jazz elements... but jazz really isn't about creating great songs... like metal is... it's more about creating a sonic landscape, I think...

Originally posted by ProgMetalFan
I agree completely. Not to discount the genre... there's plenty of great stuff... and I especially like it when metal bands incorporate jazz elements... but jazz really isn't about creating great songs... like metal is... it's more about creating a sonic landscape, I think...

But is Dream Theater really about creating 'great songs'?... alright im not speaking from much experience since I haven't heard all their albums, but I have heard some of their songs and the music seems to generally go along the same track. I think Opeth are about creating 'great songs' sure because Mikael makes everything flow, but DT just sounds like a wankfest to me not 'great music' << personal opinion.

But is Dream Theater really about creating 'great songs'?... alright im not speaking from much experience since I haven't heard all their albums, but I have heard some of their songs and the music seems to generally go along the same track. I think Opeth are about creating 'great songs' sure because Mikael makes everything flow, but DT just sounds like a wankfest to me not 'great music' << personal opinion.

You cannot just hear "individual" DT songs imo...

they too, like opeth, have their songs flow together. but, unlike opeth, its not just their 1 song that flows, its the ENTIRE ALBUM. seriously, no one can listen to Awake and tell me it doesnt flow perfectly together. same goes for Images and Words and Falling Into Infinity,

They used to be about creating great songs... on albums like "Awake" and "Images And Words"... but they've degenerated into a band that is only concerned about being weird, soloing alot, sounding like Tool and Radiohead and ripping off Peter Gabriel songs. "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulance" is a disaster. But I digress. Give the "Awake" album a listen if you haven't already. It is very emotional and dark. Dream Theater definately put a lot of effort to create some meaningful songs before entering the studio back in 94. Now they just write on the fly while they're in the studio... selling improv as songs.