Opeth will open for Dream Theater in America in April/May 2008

Same deal here - there is not a single Opeth song post morningrise that I can't play the entire bass part of note-for-note all the way through (besides maybe deliverance just cause the outro rhythm makes my fingers fall asleep after a while, but that's just an endurance issue), while I can't play at least a quarter of Dream Theater's songs.

That has nothing to do with how good a bass player Mendez is. I can play Opeth shit too, but find more fasters songs harder regardless of who it is. Comparing your skill(or mine) to a professional hardly validates your point.

Jeez, so much hate for DT. They're both great bands, but Oprth obviously would not be headlining with Dream Theater in there. That's just a dumb statement. A lof of folks may like Opeth more, but DT will pull a much bigger crowd, believe that.

As for DT, Awake is really where it's at ultimately. 6DoIT & Octavarium both sucked bawlz, but Systematic Chaos had a few good songs on it. I'm not as well versed on Opeth, but I do know for a fact that they played a weak set at Gigantour a few years ago while DT owned. I think Opeth played a shitty set just to fuck with us though.

i think its fairly obvious myung is a trillion times better technically. anyone who argues otherwise is retarded.

bassplayer still owns though.

QFT, next this guy is going to tell us Akerfeldt can play anything Petrucci can. Then maybe that Kurt Cobain could have outplayed Steve Vai.

Really? What bands do you think are so much better than Dream Theater except of course Opeth?

:Smokin:

Well I can only give you a quick list 'cause I have to go to class so:

Behemoth, (Old)Metallica, Iron Maiden, ZZ Top, Cradle of Filth, God Forbid, Vader, Soilwork, Mushroomhead, Children of Bodom, Shadows Fall, Megadeth, Porcupine Tree, Nile, Machine Head, Lacuna Coil, Alice in Chains, Amon Amarth, Iron Butterfly, In Flames, Iced Earth, Deep Purple, Tantric, Napalm Death, Slayer, Dimmu Borgir, Morbid Angel, Arch Enemy, Blind Guardian, Katatonia, Camel, Pantera, Meshuggah, Ted Nugent, Led Zepplin, Into Eternity, Satyricon, Burzum, Bathory, Testament, At the Gates, Judas Priest, Immortal, Venom, Dream Evil, Mayhem, Nightrage, Hendrix, Heaven Shall Burn, Wintersun, Moonsorrow, Firewind, Finntroll, Scar Symmetry, Insomnium, Ragnarok, etc.

Well I can only give you a quick list 'cause I have to go to class so:

Behemoth, (Old)Metallica, Iron Maiden, ZZ Top, Cradle of Filth, God Forbid, Vader, Soilwork, Mushroomhead, Children of Bodom, Shadows Fall, Megadeth, Porcupine Tree, Nile, Machine Head, Lacuna Coil, Alice in Chains, Amon Amarth, Iron Butterfly, In Flames, Iced Earth, Deep Purple, Tantric, Napalm Death, Slayer, Dimmu Borgir, Morbid Angel, Arch Enemy, Blind Guardian, Katatonia, Camel, Pantera, Meshuggah, Ted Nugent, Led Zepplin, Into Eternity, Satyricon, Burzum, Bathory, Testament, At the Gates, Judas Priest, Immortal, Venom, Dream Evil, Mayhem, Nightrage, Hendrix, Heaven Shall Burn, Wintersun, Moonsorrow, Firewind, Finntroll, Scar Symmetry, Insomnium, Ragnarok, etc.

Wow, now there's a burn. :cry:

Dude ZZ Top is the shite, Billy Gibbons' solos are as tasty as pie. And sure Tantric is a little too far on the mainstream rock side but hey, they wrote good songs, and I'm yet to hear another mainstream band use alternate tunings as well as Tantric.

Dude ZZ Top is the shite, Billy Gibbons' solos are as tasty as pie. And sure Tantric is a little too far on the mainstream rock side but hey, they wrote good songs, and I'm yet to hear another mainstream band use alternate tunings as well as Tantric.

Days of the New 2 iirc

Thought I don't really know anything whatsoever about tantric besides their hit single :<

Speaking as someone who listens to bass first in music and who's transcribed most of Mendez's best basslines, there's never been anything on any opeth album to suggest he can play anything near as fast and complex as myung quite regularly does. I don't doubt he could play quite a bit faster if he wanted, but I do doubt very much that he could pull off some of the stuff Myung does, to speak nothing of some of myung's other bass-related talents like his pretty considerable abilities on chapman stick. I'm speaking in terms of technical ability alone here, don't give me some DREAM THEATER SUX U FGT BAS PLAYR IZ BETRU CUZ OEPHT RULEZ AND WANKIN DROOLZ!!~! PEAC EOUT! response like I'm sure I'll receive : Just the sad facts here.

Actually I barely listen to Dream Theater at all, which is probably why my statement was flawed. In fact, I've only heard a couple of DT songs at all. I knew that Myung was a good bassist (as all prog metal bassists should be) but I didn't know to what extent.

I'd like to think that Mendez has some hidden technical wizardry that he doesn't get to show with Opeth, but either way I still like him a lot.

Days of the New = Shit
Tantric &#8800; Shit

Hmm, I downloaded Tantric and it seems to be the poppier version of Days of the New, also apparently it's made up of members booted from Days of the New after the first album? Regardless, I dunno how you can think DotN is terrible since the first album is basically the same thing without electrics or any annoying songs as gay as "The Breakdown."

Hmm, I downloaded Tantric and it seems to be the poppier version of Days of the New, also apparently it's made up of members booted from Days of the New after the first album? Regardless, I dunno how you can think DotN is terrible since the first album is basically the same thing without electrics or any annoying songs as gay as "The Breakdown."

I've actually never heard anything from DotN's first album, so if it's not bad I'll just chalk it up to the Tantric guys being in the band at that point lol.

Oh yeah the vocals and lyrics are poppy as hell, I just think the acoustic guitar work is pretty good and it's unique compared to bands that are similar(of course it's nowhere near as awesome as pretty much any kind of metal, except maybe nu metal shit, which shouldn't even have metal in it's name it's so gay).