Opeth's bassiest song

£xil on t}{£ Fa\\ said:
the title track blackwater park has a great bass at the end.. 8:20 check this out its great.

Excactly what I was thinking about. This slapping/popping bass line is awesome.
I also really like the bass in To Bid You Farewell, almost acts like a 3rd guitar.
Another good bass part would be the beginning of The Drapery Falls, mmmmm delicious.

BTW excellent post Moonlapse, this board deffinetly need more of these.

That's great to hear wankerness... the Niel tab is what I used to learn the majority of the song parts 'correctly', so it may be a good thing just to simply input his transcriptions into the tab you're reworking, if you're at all interested in correcting the guitar parts.

Great to hear about the bass though, I'm really looking forward to it (and my bassist, moreso, haha).

With the Wreath riff... I can't for the life of me recall when during the documentary Mendez plays it. A vague recollection tells me its somewhere near halfway... it's really hard to tell because the whole thing is dotted with footage of riff-recordings here and there.

well, here we are planning an opeth night at a bar here so we formed a little band here consisting of players from the turkish opeth forum...we decided on playing

bleak
twilight
wreath

so far.

about the twilight is my robe: the bass lines on that one arent that original really and not that hard to work out by ear, really. there are a few cool things here and there but the rest is just a mirror of the guitars.

wreath, on the other hand, has that amazing part -you guys mentioned that...thats taking some of my time, and i wont be able to decipher it completely...so i'll come up with some cool things on scales myself.

and bleak has its moments, but it's usually boring, too...but the song is so good, and im doing the clean vocals so i dont get bored. :)

I've just started playing bass, and one of my favorite Opeth riffs is the finale of BWP that kicks in at 9:45 but I can't play it. The final note is just too low for my 4-string, providing I'm hearing it right. Advice anyone? I'm pretty sure Mendez didn't use a 5-string for it.

Those sweet swells and slides on Orchid and Morningrise are played on a fretless bass. My bassist pulls out his fretless for To Bid You Farewell, and it sounds great!

Mendez has some sweet basslines, and he's a phenomenal player. He could handle a lot more action onstage, but Opeth's basslines just aren't that complex all the time.

Active and passive have their places. Passive (both on guitar and bass) tends to sound more natural than active (whether the pickups or the preamp), which blends nicely with the smoothness of Opeth's playing.

np: Serenity Painted Death (no bass at ALL on my ibook speakers)

The Dude said:
I've just started playing bass, and one of my favorite Opeth riffs is the finale of BWP that kicks in at 9:45 but I can't play it. The final note is just too low for my 4-string, providing I'm hearing it right. Advice anyone? I'm pretty sure Mendez didn't use a 5-string for it.
The song is in Drop D, so you'll need to downtune your E string one whole step. That should set you up.

De Farfallas bass-lines are pretty taste-less IMO, with exceptions of course. Martin has a lot more feeling in his playing, while Farfalla is just trickin around an octave to high. He does some extremly ugly things at times, always well played though. Martin har a cool bass-sound and his lines are perfect for opeth.

If anyone needs a Forest of October tab I have it. You need a program called Tabit. Its costs money but if you have it id be willing to send it. The drums arent finished, I dont know about bass, but both guitars are done. If interested e-mail me at iseesmurfs420@yahoo.com

The Dude said:
There's a good bass tab on opeth.darkwood.com, if you haven't noticed...

As yet another Bassplayer present on this forum I must admit Advent rocks :)

But I do play an active bass.
I really like the punch in my Ibanez Ergodyne EDC700
And it looks horny too :D

Of course the slap&pop-bass in BWP is great.
And the first riff in The Drapery Falls..magic... :Smokin:

Plus the entire Damnation album gets it's vibe through the bass, of course :p

L0bster said:
De Farfallas bass-lines are pretty taste-less IMO, with exceptions of course. Martin has a lot more feeling in his playing, while Farfalla is just trickin around an octave to high. He does some extremly ugly things at times, always well played though. Martin har a cool bass-sound and his lines are perfect for opeth.

well you can just tell mikael that considering he writes like 90% of the bass...