Opeth's guitar technique

all amazing responses, i understand everyones view on getting your own style and such, and i do have my own style. It's just I am just obsessed with opeth right now and have to understand how they get their sound so i can fuse it with my own. its so different from anyone else and thats why i started to like their music. Like the medieval folky acoustic stuff impresses me the most. like, what scale(s) do they use in the twilight is my robe? There sound just boggles my mind and hasnt allowed me to eject them from my car cd player for months. Thanks for all the replies. :headbang: :Smokin: :kickass:

As a guitar player myself I wouldn't try to actually copy Opeth's guitarwork, it's just influential, especially the acoustic interludes thou there's a whole lot of brilliant riffing, too. And technical.

all amazing responses, i understand everyones view on getting your own style and such, and i do have my own style. It's just I am just obsessed with opeth right now and have to understand how they get their sound so i can fuse it with my own. its so different from anyone else and thats why i started to like their music. Like the medieval folky acoustic stuff impresses me the most. like, what scale(s) do they use in the twilight is my robe? There sound just boggles my mind and hasnt allowed me to eject them from my car cd player for months. Thanks for all the replies. :headbang: :Smokin: :kickass:

its all different minor modes, just learn to play guitar before you go and copy anyone. all the acoustic passages are actually simple minor/major chords. learn a few major scales and the different modes and youll see how dumb your question is.

I say learn a scale and work it around the fretboard. Find a comfortable position and start to improvise, then you'll eventually play something that sounds right to you. Then, I'd say put it down or something, and then you can write something off that initial "riff" or whatever you would like to call it. This is also good for your progression as an instrumentalist. It will help you become better and whatnot.

Probably just don't even listen to me. That's probably the best advice I can give. hahaha

Opeth's scales are more or less free-form from a listening standpoint, but if you really want to look at it closely...
They use a combination of the melodic minor (many songs with a heavy emphasis on the major seventh)
They also use the fifth mode of the harmonic minor scale, the phrygian-dominant, also known as the spanish gypsy scale. This scale gives them that minor second, as seen in the opening theme in Master's Apprentice or The Grand Conjuration.
To arrive at a sound like theirs, you would be best off learning the harmonic minor and the phrygian-dominant, and improvising with a lot of chromatic motion. If you look at songs like Blackwater Park, you'll see a few riffs with up to 7 consecutive notes, which you won't find in any scale.
Opeth tends to be free in writing music that contains almost every note of the chromatic scale, but the major third is something you'll rarely see unless they're "skipping" over it very quickly, while playing a chromatic movement or playing in a phrygian-dominant scale, in which case the major third up from the tonic gives more-so a sound of a raised leading tone (since it's the fifth mode of the harmonic minor).
But really, at some point, music goes beyond scales and theory, and you're better off just playing what sounds good. I, for one, have no creativity, and must resort to theory to create anything half decent :)
Hope this helps

While I agree that theory is great when you're stuck at writing something, and you resort to it for logical continuation of whatever you're trying to write. But IMHO it should be just that, a resort.

I believe in spontaneity of things. When writing a solo I go by using my ear. It's not perfect in terms of pitch, but with some try and error it gets the job done. And I'm not restricted to thinking too much in a "scales" form (if that makes any sense lol).

Oh well, different strokes for different folks I guess.

its just amazing how chromatic opeth can get. in Wreath (for instance, cause im just trying to learn that piece) i think that almost all notes are included.
they do however use pretty often the spanish gypsy scale as aonik49 pointed out.

like ppl have said before, dont try and sound opeth, be yourself, find your own sound first...

I don't see a problem in learning other peoples songs and solos. Probably one of the best ways to get inspiration to develop your own style. As long as that's not the only thing you do.

If you really want to learn to play the guitar or any other instrument for that matter the first thing that needs to be done is to lose all inhibitions and prejudices. You'll learn everyday but you'll shine only when the mind is open.

I agree with everyone else, try to find your voice. However, I do find that understanding what our fav guitar players do is always helpful and productive towards achieving that goal.

Most of the prog style leads are natural minor / minor pentatonic, what makes them sound so different is the underlying chord progression and modulations that Opeth's so fond of.

For example, try this simple modal progression.

Am | % | % | % |
Ebm | % | % | % |

[% = repeat previous measure, jic. It's not a percentile sign, but the original symbol is similar to it]

Anyway, play A natural minor over the first 4 and switch to :zombie: Eb natural minor over the next 4. Make sure you emphasize the change from E (the note) to Eb as you change chords. You can obviously also do this with pentatonics.

Good luck :kickass:

^I've noticed that chords based on the flat 5 in minor scales crop up all the time in Opeth's music. Also those based on the flatted second. It seems like a lot of times the chord changes they use would sound horrible if it weren't for the fact that good voice leading is always practiced e.g. Fminor -> B minor only works (to my ears) if the stepwise motion from f to f# is emphasized.

FRUGiHOYi. I know that your ex-girlfriend's name is Marietta and you got mad at her once for taking your drums/keyboard/something. You went to Cypress High School and you dated some Asian chick or something. IDK.

AMIRITE? I'm watching you. :mad:

Hahaha you're almost right, who the hell are you?

^I've noticed that chords based on the flat 5 in minor scales crop up all the time in Opeth's music. Also those based on the flatted second. It seems like a lot of times the chord changes they use would sound horrible if it weren't for the fact that good voice leading is always practiced e.g. Fminor -> B minor only works (to my ears) if the stepwise motion from f to f# is emphasized.

Well I don't know if Mike is much of a theorist, I remember a video from guitar.com I think where he and Peter play and explain The Drapery Falls and he said he didn't know the name of the chords he was playing. Dunno if it was humour (which I doubt as it was a guitar-oriented website) or if he really didn't know. And this was with a simple major add 9 chord. Now, we all know Mike's playing kicks ass (I was gonna type Mike's ass kicks guitar), but it's not in a flashy way (think Vai, Malmsteen), but more about the feeling.

Phew. That said, I don't remember if doing the 5-b5 thing is 'proper' voice leading, but it does sound extremely cool (at least to me) and is quite effective and Opeth-sounding. Probably proper voice leading would require the use of b2, nat2 and nat 4 going into the b5.

Sorry if I don't make much sense, but hey, I'm crazy.

Yeah, I too find it pretty amazing that Mike doesn't know the names of many of the chords he uses. Obviously he's blessed with a good pair of ears so he's not hurting from the lack of chord knowledge, but for me personally, I wouldn't be able to write music if I couldn't have little inner dialogues with myself like, "I want an extra-sad sounding chord here so I'll use an E minor add 9".

And by 'proper', do you mean 'the way the wig-wearing dudes circa 1700 would do it'?

Well, Fredrik's obviously the guy to have the best technique... but I'm glad Opeth haven't overused any scale (pentatonic blues minor eg) and instead have taken up various scales and keys.