Opeth's lyrics, on a whole, suck. Badly.

Schraiber

Opeth fanboy
Feb 5, 2002
Hell
Though they do have a few songs which I believe are pretty damned good, lyrically (Black Rose Immortal comes to mind), the majority of their songs consist of Mike putting together cool words that make no sense. It's all pseudo-intellectual crap, and for the most part sounds like amateur poetry. I could probably find a good portion of students in my school who can write better stuff. At least Mike succedes at being pretentious. On a note, the new album REALLY sucks. They don't even sound cool any more.

Mike shines at times, but others, it seems like it's pointless batter about the same subject as the song before it. It depends on the song, for me.

And if Deliverance doesn't sound like Opeth, who does it sound like? Bloodbath? :lol:

i think still life and MAYH are his lyrical peaks, with the latter being the more concise, focused effort.

Morningrise is his best attempt at "imagery" songs, while Orchid, I think we can all agree, is pretty bland. Of course, you might be impressed by it if youve never been exposed to better things.

I thought Blackwater Park and Deliverance are both lackluster in the lyrics department too. In fact, Mikael seems to have taken a liking to insipid rhyming now. Some of the "heartfelt" lines in 'a fair judgement' really make it hard to enjoy the song without sharing the embarassment......

Damn...are you trying to start a shitfight?

Personally, I quite like his lyrics. They seem quite subjective and open to interpretation. And MAYH had some of the most compelling lyrics of anything I've heard. The idea of weaving the entire album lyrics into one whole story, then breaking them down into individual songs was just great. I don't think I'd heard anything like it at the time.

Originally posted by Lina
Time to change your title, Schraiber. :p

Hehe... I just love their music. It's VERY hard to make me like lyrics. The song with my favorite lyrics is probably Symbolic, by Death. Just love it.

Actually, Schraiber, I thought I was the only one who thought that about Opeth. I will definitely agree that the lyrics for Orchid seem to be nonsense. The lyrics for Morningrise seem to be better translated and have some meaning to them, though the only song whose lyrics I actually like is The Night and Silent Water. But to speak in their defense, I believe that the lyrics for My Arms, Your Hearse are very well done. The storyline is quite good, and they are sufficiently vague to demand more than one reading, but sufficiently concise to have a definite and understandable meaning. They are the kind of lyrics of which you must examine every word to get the full meaning. The same goes to Still Life, (in a lesser extent), though I believe the lyrics for Still Life are too wordy and less fantastic. The BWP lyrics are pretty much just Mikael flaunting his vocabulary in a rather grim way. I haven't read the lyrics for Deliverance yet.

I've actually thought about this after I bought Orchid, beucase its lyrics were not that good. Some of Mike's lyrics are pointless at times, but I still think it fits the music.

i love the lyrics.

especailly on still life and mayh.

i do agree that opeth could improve their music if they worked on the lyrics slightly more.

Originally posted by Schraiber
Though they do have a few songs which I believe are pretty damned good, lyrically (Black Rose Immortal comes to mind), the majority of their songs consist of Mike putting together cool words that make no sense. It's all pseudo-intellectual crap, and for the most part sounds like amateur poetry. I could probably find a good portion of students in my school who can write better stuff. At least Mike succedes at being pretentious. On a note, the new album REALLY sucks. They don't even sound cool any more.

Why did you even post this? Is your whole point to piss people off and start a stupid debate where everybody calls everybody a piece of shit? This just sounds like a cry for attention.

Originally posted by The Sound Gardener
Why did you even post this? Is your whole point to piss people off and start a stupid debate where everybody calls everybody a piece of shit? This just sounds like a cry for attention.

i agree with this.

i think you could have explained your critism a lot better instead of flinging mud.

opeths lyrics do fit the music well in my opinion. orchid and morningrise works well even though if u just read the lyrics you go wtf is that.

mayh is masterful and same with still life.

i have a feeling your all going to blown away with damnation as mikael will be forced to focus on the lyrics.

OPEN YOUR SOUL REDEEM I AM IMMORTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like the lyrics because they make you focus on the music, trying to decipher the meaning, and when you do, it's like "Wow, so that's what it means!" It's also cool to look up words you've never heard before in the dictionary and figure out what they mean.

jester00, Apostle rules!!!! :headbang: That's a great line!!!!

I have to agree with Schraiber. Opeth's lyrics, on a whole, are pretty poor. Mikael's ideas are quite interesting but his english isn't the greatest. I've always been frustrated by this point. The music is fantastic and that seems to make up for it.

I don't care about the lyrics at all to be honest. I don't know anything about poetry except for the fact that I don't know anything because I like it. The only lyrics I can think of off the top of my head that I like is Mike Patton's stuff from FaithNoMore, and I bet lots of people would call that mindless babble (well, it IS really hard to make any sense from it, particularly Angel Dust).

And another reason why I would never directly shit another's lyrics, or even poetry for that matter, is because I couldn't do any better. Can you?

Yeah, sorry, this is a little trollish. I just mean like... look at "Dirge For November" Badly written lyircs, AND stupid concept. Wow.. suicide. So original. I'll give it to Mike that they're slighly better than average for suicide lyrics... but the fact that they're suicide lyircs... you dig.