Opeth's lyrics, on a whole, suck. Badly.

the majority of their songs consist of Mike putting together cool words that make no sense. It's all pseudo-intellectual crap, and for the most part sounds like amateur poetry.

Maybe you're just too dumb to understand unconventional syntax? Or maybe trisyllabic words scare you? It all makes perfect sense to me, and one of the reasons I like Opeth so much is their masterful use of lanquage to tell a story with words that evoke the same emotion as the music.

@Schraiber: Hey, maybe suicide was something he was considering (who knows?). At least it's more intelligent and tangible than writing about Satan, gore, or destruction.

If I was a lyric writer, and I decided to write a song about, say, set theory, or some other realm of mathematics, what would people say then? They'd say "what THE fuck?" And yet it'd probably be completely original. What would you say to it? I love math, I think of it often, and I see something refreshing about it... some consider something about suicide refreshing, and if there's a simple beauty to something that you can appreciate to some degree, why not write a song about it? Remember, Mike ain't writing these lyrics for you, so he *probably* (this is an assumption) doesn't care about your opinion on how original something in his lyrics are.

I'm not trying to sound negative towards you here, I'm just trying to present my argument.

Originally posted by Schraiber
Yeah, sorry, this is a little trollish. I just mean like... look at "Dirge For November" Badly written lyircs, AND stupid concept. Wow.. suicide. So original. I'll give it to Mike that they're slighly better than average for suicide lyrics... but the fact that they're suicide lyircs... you dig.

hello..... what could be more tradgic then suicide?

or are you too cool for that?

there is so much emotion in that song and the lyrics a very poetic.

Lost, here is nowhere
Searching home still
Turning past me, all are gone
Time is now
The omen showed, took me away
Preparations are done, this can't last
The mere reflection brought disgust
No ordeal to conquer, this firm slit
It sheds upon the floor, dripping into a pool
Grant me sleep, take me under
Like the wings of a dove, folding around
I fade into this tender care

seriously i think it is very good. perhaps opeth should employ you to write their stuff

Sorry for doing this, but you have to admit that the simple error of using 'has' instead of 'have' or 'knew' instead of 'known' in By the Pain I See in Others (below), has the potential to damage the song. Many more examples could be quoted. Sorry for being pedantic.

"Discard your clothes
Let loose your hair
We're intertwined forever and has always been"

"They have nothing on us
But we've always knew
That nothing ever changes"

It's not fair to say their lyrics are shit because they (Mike) poured their heart and soul into writing those lyrics, and when you go bashing them like you do, it is really disheartening. If you, Schraiber, posted some poetry you worked your ass off for, and then I sad it was crap, worst stuff ever, wouldn't that make you feel just a tad bit unhappy?

Originally posted by inferenzum
Maybe you're just too dumb to understand unconventional syntax? Or maybe trisyllabic words scare you? It all makes perfect sense to me, and one of the reasons I like Opeth so much is their masterful use of lanquage to tell a story with words that evoke the same emotion as the music.

"Perfect sense"...that's quite a statement. I challenge you to explain the meaning of the lyrics in an Opeth song for us--any one you want.

I'm just basically saying Opeth's lyrics really are no better than Linkin Park, who we often critisize. We automatically assume Mike poured his life into these. We don't know that. I'm sure Mike hasn't even killed anyone as expressed in Bleak or Deliverance. But, let's look at something that's just "everyone sucks" angst, and you get, at your core, the same message as Linkin Park. Sure, we all assume they just sit around and go "Well, what will sell best for this song?" But we don't know. I've always prefered substance over style, personally. If you can get to the same point without worthless, pretentious over wording, your lyrics are > than lyrics that get the same point but have big words you don't need and incorrect syntax.

PS: Refused DO have good lyrics. They get to the point. They express their beliefs which they poured their heart and souls into and have even had many run ins with the law about. I may not agree with them completely, but they're definitely better than Opeth's lyrics.

Sorry for doing this, but you have to admit that the simple error of using 'has' instead of 'have' or 'knew' instead of 'known' in By the Pain I See in Others (below), has the potential to damage the song. Many more examples could be quoted. Sorry for being pedantic.

I think Mikael speaks pretty good English for a Swedish guy. Besides, grammatical accuracy isn't the same as intelligent use of words.

"Perfect sense"...that's quite a statement. I challenge you to explain the meaning of the lyrics in an Opeth song for us--any one you want.

I meant Opeth's music evokes emotion with imagery and strong description. The words make perfect sense for the emotions they portray. Maybe I'm the only one who sees it this way, but it's a group of descriptive scenarios which evoke a set of emotions. The 'story' is told by the way the listener travels from hope to despair to rage and everything else.

Mike once told in a radioshow that he doesn`t care about the lyrics. He just pick some nice words together. That`s what HE said.

The lyrics are just some beautiful words.

Orchid is my favorite album, i dont care for lyrics, to me they hinder songs..i like alot of instramentals better than songs with vocals, and considering i think there better with out singing period.

Originally posted by inferenzum
I think Mikael speaks pretty good English for a Swedish guy. Besides, grammatical accuracy isn't the same as intelligent use of words.

He does a pretty good job. But if the lyrics do not flow properly, and are not grammatically correct, how can they be good?

Can't Mikael run them by someone from the record company or someone who speaks english properly before printing them?

Even if these slight errors were fixed, Opeth's lyrics still wouldn't do much for me. There are bands out there with lyrics that are far better than Opeth's. Can't say the same for the music though.

Originally posted by Schraiber
It's all pseudo-intellectual crap, and for the most part sounds like amateur poetry.

I've thought the same thing. He writes a few lines that you could use to piece together a basic idea behind the song, but the rest of it is just big words.

Well yes Orchid was quite incoherent, as are some verses in their songs, but actually I like the emotive language and imagery in the verses.. if I wanted something simpler, I would go back to Stabbing Westward and their 'oh I love you but I can't have you, so I want to die' lyrics which are alot more straight forward... when there is some thought process involved... when you work to find out the meaning behind a song, or are required to interperet it in your own way, I find it much more rewarding.

Originally posted by Moonlapse
Well yes Orchid was quite incoherent, as are some verses in their songs, but actually I like the emotive language and imagery in the verses.. if I wanted something simpler, I would go back to Stabbing Westward and their 'oh I love you but I can't have you, so I want to die' lyrics which are alot more straight forward... when there is some thought process involved... when you work to find out the meaning behind a song, or are required to interperet it in your own way, I find it much more rewarding.

Orchid is my favorite album, mostly because of the music, which is incredible, but just a little for the lyrics. I love the whole idea about the enchanted forests and whatnot, and I think on the whole, the lyrics are very good. Except for the first line in "In Mist She Was Standing." "Seven Milestones" makes absolutely no sense, unless he's talking about mile markers on the side of a path, or something like that.