Opeth's lyrics, on a whole, suck. Badly.

I think the lyrics are decent, and of course waaaay beyond most other lyrics in this genre (and most other genres too, for that matter). But then again, I'm amazed how bad most lyrics out there (by other bands) are.

It's fair to call it amateur poetry, since that's what it is. He's a truly awesome musician, but not a full-fledged poet. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying that I think many others could write lyrics just as good. Some could write better, yes, but most would write worse.

oh, and I honestly despise the type of lyrics he used in the beginning of Master's Apprentices.

This has been an incredibly stupid thread.

For one, Opeth's lyrics are far from psuedo-intellectual. I'm not sure how you draw that comparison. There are arguments you could give for why it would be unimpressive to you - the vagueness, the lack of concrete meanings given to the listener, etc. Pseudo-intellectual is stupid though. I don't see Mikael trying to explain the universe.

Mikael's English is not always correct grammatically. Sometimes, these mistakes are interesting. Other times, they do hurt the meaning.

Orchid's lyrics aren't good. They have touches of good things in them and show Mikael's potential. They, however, are much in need of development.

You can't compare Mikael's lyrics to poetry. I don't care how good you think they are. They don't fit the standards of poetry. They do, however, fit the context of the music, and are often quite good. "To Bid You Farewell" is probably the best example of Mikael in a lyrical style. It is still, however, not in form, truly like poetry.

I wasn't even going to bother with this thread, but I thought I might as well see if anyone would be willing to view it my way anyway.

As an artist, if I'm trying to convey MY emotions in a new way, I'd hope my fans would interpret them as such - from there, forming their own conclusions and developing personal meanings alongside my work.

What about a comparison of a cross-section of lyrical styles? Maybe when I'm less tired..

I don't know, guys. I was reading what everyone on here was writing about Mikael's lyrics and to be honest, I think he's doing a pretty good job considering this is his secondary language. I mean, how well do any of us speak Swedish? Is that where they're from? Shit, whatever it is wherever they are from. Point is, pretty cool for it being in his secondary language.

Originally posted by Revelation #9
I don't know, guys. I was reading what everyone on here was writing about Mikael's lyrics and to be honest, I think he's doing a pretty good job considering this is his secondary language. I mean, how well do any of us speak Swedish? Is that where they're from? Shit, whatever it is wherever they are from. Point is, pretty cool for it being in his secondary language.
In my experience, Swedish people probably speak the best English in the world, after British. Anyway, there are many bands from Sweden that write much better lyrics than Opeth (Dark Tranquillity, Katatonia, The Haunted etc) and obviously put a lot of thought into them.

Whether or not they are good lyrics in terms of poetic conventions, or whether or not it is 'amatuer poetry' or not seems irrelevant to me. Lyrics are secondary to Opeth's music methinks, except maybe on MAYH and Still Life, where they needed particular focus. For the most part they get the job done, but they may not bear well under close scrutiny. I find the lyrics to be nicely poetic, based mostly on imagery, and I like them...for what they are...a skill some people need to learn...judging them on what they set out to do and what they achieve, not what they could do.

Then again, Maudlin of the Well's lyrics blow my freakin mind! Best lyrics ever...check out the lyrics to Catharsis of Sea Sleep...awesome!!!

Catharsis of Sea-Sleep and Dreaming Shrines

In my dreams I see no nearer god.
The waves that move,
They pierce my drifting soul.
With want I reach in vain to grasp the sun
As off it falls beneath the dancing fields
And paints fore'er this spout-girt majesty!
O, slimy things!
I yearn to hear you sing from depths as deep as stars doth shine
From realms of light above.
I wish to hear thee sing!
O, ammonite with aeon-closed eye!
Speak to me in water-tongues
And grant to me the eyesight you once saw
The Sea-gods with!
My voyage as above, so below
Upon a dreaming ship I sail
Upon my life I conjure they whom no dry eyes have seen
Since sleep hath stolen over forms and sunken temples built
By gods themselves!
Alone I embark for cities immersed
In depths of thought and caverns full of dreams!
What corals dress this city fallen?
What the magick language lost one-thousand leagues?
Nightmare! Come, and speak to me
From beneath the waves that rock young ships
To slumber sweet
Gods, caress me with thy chthonic hands
Steep my mind with the beauty of a vision-world
And bury me in temples where my soul
Can e'er explore these realms of madness submerged

*drool*

Very classically influenced...old school language.

Originally posted by Ormir
In my experience, Swedish people probably speak the best English in the world, after British. Anyway, there are many bands from Sweden that write much better lyrics than Opeth (Dark Tranquillity, Katatonia, The Haunted etc) and obviously put a lot of thought into them.

Don't forget about Meshuggah!!!!!! Their lyrics are brilliant!!!

I'm not sure about the 'Swedish people probably speaking the best English in the World, after British' part though.

Even if Opeth didnyt have the best lyrics ever (although I personally think theyre very good), they'd still be a damn sight better than most Swedish metal bands!

*cough* in flames *cough*

Originally posted by Schraiber
Though they do have a few songs which I believe are pretty damned good, lyrically (Black Rose Immortal comes to mind), the majority of their songs consist of Mike putting together cool words that make no sense. It's all pseudo-intellectual crap, and for the most part sounds like amateur poetry. I could probably find a good portion of students in my school who can write better stuff. At least Mike succedes at being pretentious. On a note, the new album REALLY sucks. They don't even sound cool any more.

Oh man, SHUT UP!

ehhhh.... I dunno.. I don't pay a lot of attention to lyrics but I like em. I'm into that kinda vague lyrical style where you can draw many meanings from the song depending on point of view..

The way to judge how much of a 'troll' someone is is by how repectfully to others they present their opinion.

I would say he presented his opinion pretty respectfully...no, I don't think he is a troll at all.