Opinions on Various Guitar brands...

progmetaldan

Nov 25, 2006
South Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey everybody, I'm currently looking at upgrading my guitar, and was wondering what all your opinions were. I've narrowed my choice down to probably a LAG Arkane series, or Caparison Dellinger series, but feel free to let me know if you've had experience with either of those or any other brands...

The Caparison Dellingers are actually the best instruments I've ever played in my entire life. I was privilaged enough to actually play a Dellinger 2 in Guitar Assylum, the only store-front dealer in the entire US, which only lives 2 hours away from me. Too bad I didn't have like $2000 with me. Otherwise, I'd be sitting in my basement with a beautiful friggin' Dellinger 2, shredding the fuck out of it day and night.

I've been wanting to try out LAG, but I can't find any, so those I really don't know about.

As for the standard Metal brands, I'm an Ibanez nut myself. I'm in love with the sharp look of the RG series, with th amazing playability of the Wizard Series Necks, the Rridiculous Speed Shred Metal action, and the awesome Edge Pro bridges. Neither of my RG's have ever gone out of tune while the nuts are locked. (Of course they're gonna fly out of tune when the nuts aren't locked.)

Ibanez axe + DiMarzio Pickups = God

Yeah, I've always wanted an Ibanez prestige, but the ones with everything that I want are like over $4000 here in Australia. That's why I was drawn to the LAG, cos it has heaps similar looks and features, and if I get it through my Dad's music shop I can get one of the better ones (w/ Dimarzio p/u's) for about a quarter of that price... I've only just discovered the Caparison Dellinger, but cos they won't supply to many shops here, it will still end up about $3000...

Yeah, if Caparison only ships to ONE store in the US, I can imagine how hard it must be to get your hands on one in Ausie.
Thank the gods I live only like 2 hours away from that one and only store. :D

Too true, too true... I think there's only one shop in the WHOLE of Oceana, which isn't too far from where I live, but it still doesn't give a whole lot of options... I reckon I'll go with the LAG, everything I've read about them has been positive, but I'll definately check out the Caparisons if I get the chance... I've looked into ESP and Jackson, but everything I've heard is that u need one of the absolute top-line ones for it to be decent, and even the top ones aren't that awesome...

I guess all the prestiges which have everything I want are only the high end ones... Yeah B music, theres one about half hour from where I live, so if they've got any of the Dellinger II's I'll have a play and see what they're like. I've still got my eye on the LAG Arkane... Have you had any experience with them? I know Stephen Forte (Adagio) uses them and a few others, but they seem relatively new on the market, at least in Australia... Btw, cool to find another Symphony X fan in Australia man! :headbang:

I haven't any experience with either, still, if I could get my hands on a Caparison, I'd be kicking myself if I couldn't afford it at the time.

And there are plenty of aussie's on here :D

Stephan Forte uses a custom made guitar by LAG, it's not the Arkane. His is a 27 fret seven string with a part of the fretboard scalloped. He's got lots of pictures of it on Adagio's website.

The body on Forte's guitar is so thin that it's practically anorexic.

And the scalloping is crazy wierd. It's like that "Progressive Scalloping" someone here talked about a while back. (I can't remember who it was.) Except the scallops are going across the frettboard instead of down. That really is crazy wierd.

Are there any websites at all that have LAG guitars? I don't care about buying one, I just wanna see the prices.

Are there any websites at all that have LAG guitars? I don't care about buying one, I just wanna see the prices.

The official LAG website is all in French, but you can see pictures there LAG

Umm, there is an Australian site at
LAG GUITARS
which has pictures and stuff, and is in English, but doesn't have prices. I can get the prices (in Australian $$) from one of the catalogues at work, but I don't think they have them anywhere online...

w00t for aussies. We're actually getting a lot more ESP and line6 stuff out here so I think things are on the rise. A year or 2 ago there was only 1 shop around here which sold them, and now there is a few.

Also if u want to get into some aussie prog then join ozprog.com ..... there are a few decent bands who have forums hosted there, but mostly from brisbane cos brisbane pwns :D.

w00t for aussies. We're actually getting a lot more ESP and line6 stuff out here so I think things are on the rise. A year or 2 ago there was only 1 shop around here which sold them, and now there is a few.

Also if u want to get into some aussie prog then join ozprog.com ..... there are a few decent bands who have forums hosted there, but mostly from brisbane cos brisbane pwns :D.

Thanks man, I will. There's very few prog bands in Adelaide, everyone seems to be into gay hardcore and metalcore down here. :puke: I hate it. Hopefully my band will be able to take off and educate the city in what is good music... :headbang: Thanks, I'll check out that site.

And here I was complaining that there are too many ESP shops and not enough Ibanez stockists.

I just went and played some of the lower end LAG models and for their price they're really, really good. Unfortunately unless you get a custom, the highest is about $2000, so if you're looking for a really, really awesome axe, you'll probably need an Ibanez or something else...