Orchestral metal.. Yes or no?

No no, Saviour Machine is not doom or even metal much at all, so don't get that into your head or you will be disappointed. Saviour Machine is difficult to define, but it has classical, rock, opera, and gothic influences. Once you hear SM, it's very obvious that VB took major influence from them, which they have even said themselves. I'm just saying that as far as composition and vocals go, SM comes out on top, in my opinion.

I don't necessarily like "orchestral metal" but I do tend to appreciate it when a band has some classical influence in terms of compositional or playing style. Well, only if they know what they're doing.

i was gonna post dis unless someone else already had so im just gonna quote dis post:err:

yea most people here are too stupid to differentiate between classical music and orchestral instrumentation so w/e

No no, Saviour Machine is not doom or even metal much at all, so don't get that into your head or you will be disappointed. Saviour Machine is difficult to define, but it has classical, rock, opera, and gothic influences. Once you hear SM, it's very obvious that VB took major influence from them, which they have even said themselves. I'm just saying that as far as composition and vocals go, SM comes out on top, in my opinion.

They are hard to define. The first album is sort of a hard rock/goth/metal album, the second... has some more electronic elements in it... the last three albums have varied from goth metal to ambient... I don't know hard to define but a very good band. The best album is Legend II... which is also the least metal out of all of them. But all of their cd's are good.

Rhapsody have a total number of two songs - one heavy and a mellow instrumental.. that they've repeated over and over on all their albums. I do like that song, though.

Therion are good.. I just happen to dislike such immense amounts of cheese.

In your opinion , do you like it when metal is mixed with classical music elements creating thus a more great and complex metal style ?

I personally love it, I just wanted to ask your opinion on this one since I am an orchestral composer and would like to see the responce of people on the subject.

Is it something amazing beyond rational thought or is it something that requires a lot of work and talent but just doesnt work well on the heads of young metalheads ?

I love it! Great topic choice!

you missed the point I think. I was talking about metal with classical music elements in its structure, I wasnt talking about Orchestras taking over the metal structure. I was talking about metal in which there is some symphony in order to make it more scary, lively, happy or whatever.
Like dimmu borgir, Tvangeste, Therion (not really, there are more classical music elements in there than metal in the last 5 albums) , rhapsody, Savatage in some songs, my songs :p .

I think this is a good topic for discussion since there is so much confusion in metal nowadays.

The only metal band I can think of who have done classical influence well is Coroner on their first 3 albums.

If anyone wants to hear a great example of Metal mixed with Orchestral done well, listen to the Gettysburg epic from Iced Earth. The Glorious Burden wasn't exactly their best album, but the epic is amazing.

The track titles are The Devil to Pay, Hold At All Costs, and High Water Mark.