Orphaned Land / Suidakra US tour???

wow...just looked at the homepage for Bottom Lounge....nice. You were not seeing things. But that terrible band INDIAN is playing...literally it is a bunch of indie rock guys screaming and just having distortion on thier guitars blarring for 40 minutes. I guess they think that is metal. What an odd show. At least I can get a hamburger at the great restraunt bar while they are playing.

Ticketmaster lists Orphaned Land, Suidakra, Indian, and A Storm of Light for that Chicago date. Unfortunately doesn't seem to be a single thing up on any of the bands websites or myspaces to get more dates.

There's no way this can be a real tour, unless both bands are swallowing all the costs. As much as I dig OL, there's no way they can tour here with Suidakra.

Ah, but what you're missing in your calculation is that, at least for the Chicago date, tickets are....$10.

...uh, wait. Nevermind.

Well, if it *does* happen, I guess it'll be the first and last time that OL tours the US. We'll be lucky if it doesn't break up the band, like Green Carnation!

Neil

There's no way this can be a real tour, unless both bands are swallowing all the costs. As much as I dig OL, there's no way they can tour here with Suidakra.

Zod

All depends on how it is booked.

Their style of metal is getting bigger and bigger each month in the States.

A tour like this might even have some label, magazine, clothing company, etc, sponsorship.

Also, the tour might be sold to promoters as a package deal.
(IE - a flat guarantee that covers BOTH bands).

Or, to make it attractive to promoters, the booking agent may have simply worked out a percentage of the door.

The Chicago show will suffer from WAY too many shows.
That same week in Chicago is already the Kreator / VoiVod and HammerFall tours.

I assume this will be similar for many cities.

WAY too many tours in the States this March / April.

DAMN! The Chicago show is only $10??????

VERY stupid! This show has a VERY target audience.
As such, anyone going to this show would pay double that to see it with no problem.

A low ticket price probably won't sway anyone on the fence, as any potential fence sitters probably have no idea who either band is anyhow.

I was going to say in my previous post that the smart thing to do would be to charge $25 for this show. I don't think that would keep anyone away who otherwise were planning on coming.

I saw online that there is a Chicago date at the Bottom Lounge in March for Suidakra and Orphaned Land.

Is this a full tour?

What is the Bottom Lounge like? I have been considering going to the Kreator/Voivod show. Is it a decent place? How is parking?

Orphaned Land has had the backing of the Israeli cultural attache both times they have performed in Atlanta. The consul himself actually attended both the acoustic & regular show their first time here. That generated quite a bit of publicity within the middle-eastern population of Atlanta as they advertised via newspapers, etc for the band's visit. If that is continued, you are potentially looking at larger crowds than the normal metal show.

Glen,
Good point!!
I hadn't even thought about that a band like Orphaned Land will draw non-metal fans as well.

Many Spanish / Mexican metal and punk bands draw a lot of non-music fans, who basically support the show as a cultural event.

Orphaned Land has had the backing of the Israeli cultural attache both times they have performed in Atlanta. The consul himself actually attended both the acoustic & regular show their first time here. That generated quite a bit of publicity within the middle-eastern population of Atlanta as they advertised via newspapers, etc for the band's visit. If that is continued, you are potentially looking at larger crowds than the normal metal show.

Correct, the fact that they are able to pull in a non-metal audience just based on their cultural heritage is very important.

I remember 10 years or so ago, Pentagram (Mezerkabul) played in Copenhagen, Denmark - I believe it was the first (only?) time they played outside of Turkey. The show was SOLD OUT due to the huge Turkish population in Copenhagen, even if noone in the metal scene had any clue as to who the band was.

Look at the whole J-pop/J-rock scene as another example - a lot of those "metal bands" in those genres wouldn't necessarily attract many metal fans in Europe or USA, but due to the cultural heritage they are able to get a lot of Japanese and Korean people to their shows wherever they play.

c.

NO WAY!! :OMG: I'll agree, there is a gross amount of metal tours coming through in the next few months. If nothing is closer, though, damn it I'll make sure I can get to the NYC show, which is the Monday after the Worcester Kreator & HammerFall dates. If I have to make one of the three, though, it'll definitely be this one.

:kickass: Made my day. Wow!

Chthonic does the same thing, and at least in the DC area they've been very successful with it. I would imagine it also helps with visa issues.

What is the Bottom Lounge like? I have been considering going to the Kreator/Voivod show. Is it a decent place? How is parking?

The Bottom Lounge is great. It is right off the Eisenhower Express way...well a few minutes that is right in an industrial area so there is tons of street parking for free since everything in that area is closed at night. The place is a huge building. There is a main room that is a bar / restraunt which if you are over 21, you can come in and out of the room that the show is happening in to eat and drink. Great food too. The back room is where the shows are. it holds up to something like 800. It has the best acoustics in Chicago. Better than any club I have been to. The stage is huge. It is my favorite club in Chicago now. The only downfall is the lack of public transportation by it. The Green and Blue lines go by there but you are screwed if you dont live by those lines. Drivers have it easy with parking and stuff though.

While tickets will most likely be available at the door for the Chicago stop ($13 day of show), those who feel the need to secure one in advance will be happy to know that the Ticketbastard listing redicrects to TicketWeb, meaning there is only a $2.75 service fee per ticket instead of some astronomical surcharge, so the cost of ordering in advance is about the same as paying at the door, give or take a quarter, whereas the NYC show is going to run about $23 a ticket online when all is said and done. Hopefully everything Glenn said about OL's backing for ATL shows comes true for them throughout the tour.

The Bottom Lounge is great. It is right off the Eisenhower Express way...well a few minutes that is right in an industrial area so there is tons of street parking for free since everything in that area is closed at night. The place is a huge building. There is a main room that is a bar / restraunt which if you are over 21, you can come in and out of the room that the show is happening in to eat and drink. Great food too. The back room is where the shows are. it holds up to something like 800. It has the best acoustics in Chicago. Better than any club I have been to. The stage is huge. It is my favorite club in Chicago now. The only downfall is the lack of public transportation by it. The Green and Blue lines go by there but you are screwed if you dont live by those lines. Drivers have it easy with parking and stuff though.

Thanks for the info!