OT: Canadian Olympic hockey team

nafnikufesin

N.F.F.
Dec 6, 2001
In a Zone
amandababypics.tripod.com
For the crazy Canucks on the board, or those who are hockey savvy:

What is your take on including Bertuzzi but leaving off Crosby? Bertuzzi is certainly a good, even great player, but he doesn't exactly embody the spirit of the Olympics. Crosby may still be a little raw, but is already showing signs of his potential, and including him now, even if just on the taxi squad, could provide an experience that will pay off for years to come.

This brings up question number two. Why doesn't Canada send two hockey teams to the Olympics. If you look at some of the top players left off the squad, they could just as easily compete for the gold medal on any given day (especially when you consider there are a number of other teams that will have 3 or fewer NHLers on their squad). Many countries send more than one figure skater, or more than one bobsledding team, (or sprinters in the summer Olympics...the list goes on), so why wouldn't we send 2 hockey teams?

Discuss...

I've been traing very hard for my chance to be part of the Canadian Olympic Drinking Team.

MadeInNewJersey said:
I just want to know how they don't take Eric Staal?!

Makes no sense to me, I guess they want the Czech Republic to win or something.
Like I said, they could fill an entire roster with players that weren't selected that deserved to go just as much. Canada's "A" team vs. the "B" team playing for the gold medal...

bertuzzi being on the team just makes sense...youd have to be retarded to leave him off...ya his year didnt start out good...but the last 3 weeks he has been a dominate cunuck player....hes the best power forward in the game...or in the world......and as for crosby not gettin on...i think its a good idea...the guy just only turnd 18....and hes had so much hype on him....i think it would be a mistake ........he has lots of time....stall should be playing...not just on the extras list...spezza should be aswell...canada could have gone with 2 teams...and they probobly woulda ended up playin eachother...ha ha ha j/k.....im excited for the juniors tho that are playin in vancouver soon...should be a good tourny

nafnikufesin said:
I guess we'll be competing with each other for a spot on the roster. I used to be the best in my weight class...but my weight class has since gone up :lol:
Did ROOTS send you your jacket yet?

Bertuzzi is awesome.

I'm happy, but surprised that Kris Draper is on the Canadien team.
He'll open some eyes up to who he is, but there are bigger names out there.

MadeInNewJersey said:
I just want to know how they don't take Eric Staal?!

Makes no sense to me, I guess they want the Czech Republic to win or something.
I agree. He's only leading the league in scoring this year! Even though I'm not a fan Spezza shoulda been on the team as well imo. There's always gonna be guys who you think shoulda been on the team that don't get the call.

Clearly the Canadian team went with "veterans" or "experienced" players, which is NOT what the Olympic/National team should be about, but hey, I'm not the coach, so...

At least the Americans went with a good mix of vets & youth.

I'm most anxious to watch how far Henrik Lundqvist can take the Swedish team. That kid is SUPERB.

Lordlindsey said:
Seems like 50% of the Red Wings are in the Olympics.
Kronwall
Lidstrom
Draper
Chelios
Zetterberg
Schneider
Datsyuk

I'm sure I forgot others.

Actually, the AV's are the NHL team that has the most players in the olympics:

Blake, Sakic (CAN) Hejduk (CZ), Svatos (SLO), Liles (US), Skrastins (LIT), Laaksonen, Vaananen (FIN), and all three goalies Aebischer (SWI), Kolesnik (KAZ) and Budaj (CZ or SLO).

And yes, Canada is going to win the gold. Bertuzzi over Crosby, sure why not? Crosby is going to get burned playing 82 games... he's only 18 and he's small. He'll get his chance next time around.

I'm back bitchez. Oh yeah.

The only reason COL has that many players is because their goalies were all taken by small, irrelevant nations (irrelevant to Olympic hockey, I mean).

Lots of teams have a decent amount of players (9) in the Olympics. Heck, look at the Rangers: Lundqvist (SWE), Jagr, Malik, Rucinsky, Straka, Prucha (CZE), Kasparaitus, Tyutin (RUS), Hossa (SLO).

mentalmeltdown said:
Actually, the AV's are the NHL team that has the most players in the olympics:

Blake, Sakic (CAN) Hejduk (CZ), Svatos (SLO), Liles (US), Skrastins (LIT), Laaksonen, Vaananen (FIN), and all three goalies Aebischer (SWI), Kolesnik (KAZ) and Budaj (CZ or SLO).

And yes, Canada is going to win the gold. Bertuzzi over Crosby, sure why not? Crosby is going to get burned playing 82 games... he's only 18 and he's small. He'll get his chance next time around.

I'm back bitchez. Oh yeah.

It's going to be Canada or the Swedes IMO.

FUCK THE AVALANCHE!

the czechs are dangerous as well, with Hasek in goal you never know... they may just as well win the gold. plus the NYR line of Jagr-Straka-Rucinsky is excellent. The swedes don't have what it takes between the pipes. US - miracle on ice? yeah, it's a miracle some of these old geezers are still playing. The Russians have a fairly balanced team. Slovaks could be the surprise team - they look strong on paper but somehow, when they play they don't gel.

mentalmeltdown said:
the czechs are dangerous as well, with Hasek in goal you never know... they may just as well win the gold. plus the NYR line of Jagr-Straka-Rucinsky is excellent. The swedes don't have what it takes between the pipes. US - miracle on ice? yeah, it's a miracle some of these old geezers are still playing. The Russians have a fairly balanced team. Slovaks could be the surprise team - they look strong on paper but somehow, when they play they don't gel.

How does someone who apparently watches and knows (at least something) about hockey say the Swedes "don't have what it takes between the pipes?"

Makes literally 0% sense.

MadeInNewJersey said:
How does someone who apparently watches and knows (at least something) about hockey say the Swedes "don't have what it takes between the pipes?"

Makes literally 0% sense.

Facts my friend, facts...

combined NHL experience of the THREE swedish goalies selected for the 2006 olympics?
a measly 45 games!

compare that to Hasek, Brodeur or even Khabibulin and you have young, inexperienced swedish goaltenders facing seasoned NHL veterans both the forwards and the goalies - don't get me wrong, I'll root for Sweden because they also have some terrific offensive players and an excellent D - but, they're just not medal worthy because of their goaltending.