Men's Olympic Hockey Starts Today

Congratulations to my Canadian friends. This was a great tournament, probably the best Olympic tournament I've seen. Congrats again.

This was pretty much what you could wish for as a final game.

Although most of the 3rd period was just boring, it picked up again in the last few minutes.
Canada started to play their usual "we're leading" -game. Wise playing, but boring.. :)

USA was good, but still.. not as good as previous games indicated. (IMO, of course).

Congrats Canada!! Well done. I too think US didn't played like before.
Oh, and congrats to FInland too mates.
Fantastic game it made me buy NHL the game.

This really got me diggin hockey now. That 3rd period goal made me pretty much lose my voice and I don't get that pumped up unless it's St. Louis Cardinals playoff-baseball. Regardless of the outcome, that goal with 20-something seconds left screamed "miracle". and Roenick's comments before OT were moving. still a little bummed though that we already beat canada, never lost a lead during the whole tournament while winning every game outright, and then we lost gold after taking the home team and favorite to win it all into overtime.. oh well, baseball starts this week.

So wait- Canada lost one game, now USA lost one game, yet Canada wins?

How the fuck does that work?

I hate hockey so I really have no idea how any of this works, and could care less about either team. I'm just curious.

So wait- Canada lost one game, now USA lost one game, yet Canada wins?

How the fuck does that work?

I hate hockey so I really have no idea how any of this works, and could care less about either team. I'm just curious.

Tournament setup was a bit odd... 12 teams divided into 3 groups of 4. Those 4 teams all play each other once in the preliminary/qualifying round. 3 points for a win, 2 points for an overtime win, 1 point for an overtime loss, 0 points for a loss. The top 4 teams (most points) get a buy into the quarter finals and the remaining 8 teams play against each other to determine who fills the other 4 quarter final spots. After that it's just one game elimination working it's way to the gold medal game. So first Canada v. US game was just a prelim game to determine standings before the actual tournament started, and the game tonight was the gold medal final game in the tournament, where Canada and the US coincidentally happened to play again after defeating all of the other teams in their respective halves of the tournament.

Tournament setup was a bit odd... 12 teams divided into 3 groups of 4. Those 4 teams all play each other once in the preliminary/qualifying round. 3 points for a win, 2 points for an overtime win, 1 point for an overtime loss, 0 points for a loss. The top 4 teams (most points) get a buy into the quarter finals and the remaining 8 teams play against each other to determine who fills the other 4 quarter final spots. After that it's just one game elimination working it's way to the gold medal game. So first Canada v. US game was just a prelim game to determine standings before the actual tournament started, and the game tonight was the gold medal final game in the tournament, where Canada and the US coincidentally happened to play again after defeating all of the other teams in their respective halves of the tournament.

Ah I had no idea there was a points based system involved.

It's called a "Round Robin Tournament" - the earlier rounds simply determine position/match-ups in later games, and no team is eliminated through the first few rounds.

As far as the "Shit Stomp" comment - enjoy your win - you deserve it, but there is no one that can look at that tournament and think that Canada shit stomped their way through any of it. They struggled at times, they looked vulnerable for large portions of the gold medal game, Loungo looked really iffy for long stretches, but they pulled it together and won and for that congratulations are to be had - but it was in no way easy.

The American's played a great tournament and on the whole, probably had a better showing than Canada. The final game was perfect though- close game, fair calls, come back to tie and OT winner by Crosby (which I totally called). Basically did nothing for the past 3 games then scores the winner to redeem himself- go figure.

Also, this was essentially the complete opposite of what happened at the World Juniors this year. US was up by two goals in the 3rd, Jordan Eberle ties it up with only seconds to go but then Canada loses in overtime. It was pretty devestating for the country, so even though the Olympic tournament had a much higher profile, the USA already burned us on home ice once this year. Anyways, great rivalry- I think at this stage in history maybe even better than the Canada/Russia rivalry although I'm sure that'll be the story in Sochi if Crosby and Ovechkin are still around. I hope the American population gets more into hockey as a result of all this (and the Winter Classic)- should be good for the sport.

PS - Pat Kane's snipe in the Finland game, mouth gaurd hanging out and all, was my favourite moment of the tournament.

IMHO the preliminary round is a pretty redundant system with that very set-up.

I mean, our team lost EVERY game in the prelim, yet we had the chance to reach the quarter final if we would have won against Canada.