OT: Petition for Opeth concerts in the Southeast US

Rose Immortal

Spirit of Hope
Jun 19, 2004
If you live in a state that does not frequently get Opeth tours, such as Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, or South Carolina, please consider signing this petition to show your interest. The purpose of this is NOT to be bitchy, only to let the band's management know that there is in fact an audience in these areas:

http://www.petitiononline.com/opethse/

interesting, but i think it more "fair" that people petition they tour somewhere they've never been. you should have seen the orgasmic reaction to their single show in Israel.

I say, road trip it if you're a big fan. :headbang:

Silent Song said:
interesting, but i think it more "fair" that people petition they tour somewhere they've never been. you should have seen the orgasmic reaction to their single show in Israel.

I say, road trip it if you're a big fan. :headbang:

Not everybody CAN make that trip--financial issues, parental issues, etc.

And I would certainly be willing to pitch in to help raise interest for tours in other places that aren't frequently visited, too.

I want to sign, but it won't let me. It keeps saying

"566 Response HTTP Version Unsupported
This Web page could not be opened with the specified browser HTTP version. Please contact the owner of this Web page for more information."

I may not live in the Southern states, but I have alot of Metal friends that live in the Southern States, and I support the idea of bands coming to more places.

I understand that much, I just think it's easier for us in the US to book it to gigs than it is in other countries where they *might* get *lucky* and get 1 show in 5 years, in the whole nation. A tad one-sided don't you think? We get more tours than any other country on average, and I think only Sweden has seen more Opeth than the USA.

Then again, one must consider the fact that America is so much bigger (sq. miles) and so much more spread out than other countries.

Exactly. There is a farrr bigger market here, because we're rather large geographically. Martin Lopez once said that touring the US isn't like performing in any other countries, it's very extensive because it's pretty much like touring a continent. A whole region has been ignored.

Here's a message that I posted at the Opeth forum... even if you're not the biggest Opeth fan by any means, I pointed out something that could well benefit you.

A friend and I made this petition to show demand to the band and/or their managers for stops in the Southeast of the US, which they don't visit. Several states... Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina, Mississippi, I think even Arkansas... haven't had the privelidge of seeing an Opeth concert yet. There are quite a few larger cities in this area that would be a good market... Memphis probably the biggest one, but then there's also Birmingham, Montgomery, Jackson, etc.

Atlanta, Florida, and Winston-Salem get to see Opeth frequently and although I suppose it is humanly possible at least, that is quite a stretch for most people in the region mentioned above, whether it be because of money, parents, work, etc. Most people aren't able to afford it, timewise or moneywise.

This isn't meant to be bitchy... this region's most popular genres are country and rap, so we don't blame Opeth or their management at ALL for not visiting this region. The purpose of this petition is to SHOW that there's an audience very willing to attend.

Also keep in mind that if Opeth performs in that area, more and more metal bands are likely to go there as well, and it's fairly rare that they do. If you're sick of no good concerts coming to your area, this would be a good chance to expand your options.

So please... if you live in those states, would go to a performance in those states, or know people that either live or would go to those states, sign the petition and get the word around.

Many thanks!!

http://www.petitiononline.com/opethse

ptah knemu said:
Then again, one must consider the fact that America is so much bigger (sq. miles) and so much more spread out than other countries.
it's not *that* much bigger, especially considering, once again, that America gets its own TOURS while other countries get simply 1 date, regardless of the fact that many of the audience must travel 100+ miles.

Even so, European bands can't expect to see fans from California come to New York, for their only American tour date. It's just plain koo-koo. Yes, I said koo-koo.

ptah knemu said:
Even so, European bands can't expect to see fans from California come to New York, for their only American tour date. It's just plain koo-koo. Yes, I said koo-koo.
That is acceptable. However, we're talking about a band that just recently toured the states, both coasts. This petition is ridiculous to me.

They're already planning on coming back to the States, though. I'm almost positive that they'll be here for the whole month of February, Mikael announced that they were doing a second leg in the winter. The reason why we did the petition was so that we'd catch them in time.

It's REALLY not that hard to understand. They're coming back to the States soon, so this is the perfect time to make a petition because they have to start seeking out venues and cities.

I live in Cleveland and have been lucky enough to see Opeth three times, and come late winter four. They've come here for every tour except the Lamentations Tour (when I drove up to Detroit - a 3 hour drive, which is doable even if not all that convenient), so I've been very lucky. But Rose here has been a fan just as long, and has never had the opportunity to see them live because they never stop by anywhere within driving distance. And I know there's many other fans that have the same problem down there.

Yeah. Exactly. I can't sympathize personally, because I live literally a half hour away from the one city where EVERYBODY comes to, (New York City, for anybody who doesn't already know.) but I know many people, who love Opeth, and have never gotten the chance to see them, because they live too far away. And it goes back tp my point of people having to travel from an opposite side of the country to see a show.

I don't live in the southeast, but being from Connecticut, a state which many bands (including Opeth) just decide to skip over altogether, I can sympathize with you. It's hard enough for me to travel to New York to see shows, so I can't even imagine traveling across the country in order to see your favorite band.

koolboee cdmo87 is right: I would have to drive AT THE LEAST 5 hours to most places that Opeth has performed (and they don't always come there), and I absolutely can't get off from work to do that. :(

This petition is a joint project between the two of us.

ptah knemu said:
I want to sign, but it won't let me. It keeps saying

"566 Response HTTP Version Unsupported
This Web page could not be opened with the specified browser HTTP version. Please contact the owner of this Web page for more information."

Hm...it's working for me. What kind of browser are you using?

ptah knemu said:
You mean what kind of internet service? That, I'm using AOL.

So I guess you're using their customized version of Internet Explorer? Hm...I can't prove this at all, but that might have something to do with the problem, if no one else gets an error.