American South no longer politically relevant; some report hearing Old Yeller howl

I'm tired of the media being ever-onward obsessed with race and trying to represent EVERYBODY and think for EVERYBODY.

Yes, you have a valid point. But that's not the only friggin' aspect of this discussion, so feel free to drop it whenever you like.

I think people, without vast generalization, should still be careful about tolling the death bell for racist people. Remember that a LOT of voter turnout was youth, the older generation is not letting up, no matter how fast the media wants to tell everyone that suddenly a large portion of it has been cut out, and it will be very dangerous for society to assume so. Instead, people need to actually continue working to get rid of it themselves.

So... do you... have some sort of evidence that young voters were disproportionally numerous this year, or that their numbers are going to die down in the future?

That's a bizarre and unrelated argument; this article makes a big point of the fact that racism is still a major issue

the point is simply that the south is no longer a reliable voting bloc for the republican party

and once again, of course the media has to generalize to discuss widespread phenomena...

That's not what the article is claiming. The point is just that the Republican party has marginalized itself, and this election proves that the Dems can win without widespread support in the south.

I can read just fine. What you said ^ is obviously true and is the point of the article, but to say it's not dressed with all the trimmings is laughable. If YOU or maybe someone else here wrote it, it probably wouldn't be dripping with contempt for dumb ol' southern men.

You fail to realize that the WAY facts are presented are often more influential to the masses than the facts themselves. Keep most of what's in the article and just change it around, and suddenly it looks non-biased.

That's a bizarre and unrelated argument; this article makes a big point of the fact that racism is still a major issue

the point is simply that the south is no longer a reliable voting bloc for the republican party

and once again, of course the media has to generalize to discuss widespread phenomena...

1. YES, it does.........but just within this little supposedly dying faction. Mistake. And the way it's written doesn't encourage people to look into it any further.

2. Sure, but they also do it to control what you think. It pisses me off. It's going to turn into another term full of neo-cons except on the blue side of the fence. I'm just sick of it.

I think the racism issue in general is much larger than this article's scope tbh.

I understand why you might object to the place where you live being characterized as a bunch of ignorant fucks, though. If it's any comfort, most places are full of ignorant fucks, as most people aren't very bright.

Congratulations Orion, you've pointed out a godzillion times now that the article has a bias. Do you want a fucking medal or something?

So... do you... have some sort of evidence that young voters were disproportionally numerous this year, or that their numbers are going to die down in the future?

Only since you asked:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/02/young_people_emerge_as_key_vot.html

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1708570,00.html

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/state/content/state/epaper/2008/10/04/1004_newvoters.html

http://www.flyoungdems.org/youth-statistics/

but this is common knowledge, yes?

I think the racism issue in general is much larger than this article's scope tbh.

I understand why you might object to the place where you live being characterized as a bunch of ignorant fucks, though. If it's any comfort, most places are full of ignorant fucks, as most people aren't very bright.

It's only that somewhat, it's more just that despite articles like this being technically full of truth, I just tend to see the different ways they are weaved doing more harm than good a lot of times. I have a lot of contempt for just about any reporting that isn't something like "All Things Considered", and it pisses me off how they know the audience is wider than ever and they can get away with tossing some truth in a bias-stained article.

Yes. Classic media taking a basic idea or truth and filling it up with disinformation in order to lean readers one way or another, and acting as the authority to it....

While I agree the corporate media can't really be trusted, they do, in this case, back up their claims with what I hope are reputable sources within the academic political science community.

Whether or not they were misquoted or whatever is another issue, but it seems to me that this article is far more exhaustive and credible than most pieces I have seen recently.

Yeah that's pretty good evidence.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that all those votes are going to evaporate four years from now, but it is quite possible that Obama stirred up an abnormal amount of enthusiasm in certain demographics.

Orion Crystal Ice makes me embarrassed to live in Florida due to his illiteracy and inability to not take offense to news articles about Southern states.

I also want to say it's fairly stupid that a lot of outlets and readers are just sort of licking their chops at the idea of the Republican party dying. Yeah, a lot of it has been taken over by foaming neo-cons, but there can't be bipartisanship and a 'center' to govern from without two major and active parties, so the way a lot of the left is channeling the anger to sort of gently pound the death of the evil right into people's heads is not a wise move, not to mention hypocritical. What the party needs is new leadership but I never see anything or any study on that topic.

The reason that people "on metal forums" don't react so fervently as you is because we're already used to the shit the media slings at us and the way they frame arguments. It's not new to us. We already account for it. At least I do. This is not worth the bleeding arse you're sure to receive from your response to this article.

I also see no difference or change in trading in white-black racism for black-white racism, and you better believe it thrives down here..

Of course it would. In general, black people not liking white people do so from a reasonable position: they were enslaved by them for hundreds of years and continued to face discrimination thereafter. Hell, this sort of thing isn't even that 'ancient' if you look at how they were treated during Catrina, for instance.

This same justification cannot be transposed to the white population, ever (not that it isn't abused in many cases by the 'victims').

Hopefully all of this is painfully obvious to you, but after reading your initial comment I seem to think it may not be.

The reason that people "on metal forums" don't react so fervently as you is because we're already used to the shit the media slings at us and the way they frame arguments. It's not new to us. We already account for it. At least I do. This is not worth the bleeding arse you're sure to receive from your response to this article.

Well, I'm not knee deep in every political thread and decided to toss a couple morsels for thought and discussion into this *one*, which has clearly worked. Also please remember me "pissed off" is just sort of the same idea as "fine" with others when they are asked 'how are you?'. No biggie.