OT: The beer thread

Yngvai X

Dark Emperor
Jul 18, 2002
Woodland Park, NJ
www.myspace.com
Since I can't remember where ABQ and I had started our beer snob discussion, I figured I'd just start a fresh thread.

Recently picked up:
hefewb_1_1.jpg

Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier
korbinian_1_1.jpg

Weihenstephaner Korbinian Doppelbock
ipa.jpg

Stone IPA
85.jpg

Samuel Smith Imperial Stout

I haven't had the chance to try any yet, but I'm thinking tonight I'll be having either the Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier or the Stone IPA. I spent a lot of time checking out ratebeer.com and beeradvocate.com and apparently those two are in the top 5 of the best in the world for their types of beer. The others are in the 90th percentile too on ratebeer.

There's always a need for a beer thread. Since most of the beers introduced already in previous threads are US made (correction: they are not all US made) why don't we broaden the view. So, fellow European (beer) users please share your experiences with the best beer brands.

I shall begin with some of the Finnish beer:
1177.jpg

Karhu

My favourite and also (due to irony of fate) my surname.

t_strong.jpg

Lapin Kulta

Lapin Kulta (The Gold of Lapland)

Very often considered the worst of the great beer brands in Finland. I personally don't think it as a bottle of "reindeer piss." It is as good as any beer in Finland (excluding Karhu of course ;D)

Drinking the Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) right now while enjoying some Palak Paneer. :)

VERY strong tasting, bitter beer with lots of hops (really, a lot), both in the taste and aroma and its also somewhat citrusy. The ABV is 6.9%. IPAs seem to be an acquired taste, and its no doubt a great beer, but doesn't seem to be the kind of beer I'd enjoy often, at least not yet, since my taste right now is more towards the dark German and Belgian styles.

Our commercial beer in the USA is known for being pretty weak and watery, so its always nice to find really excellent microbreweries like Stone. I have a little bit of hometown pride in seeing Southampton Publick House starting to make their mark amongst US microbrews too (still looking for a place in Jersey that carries their stuff).

Some of my favorites from Canada:

Big Rock Traditional Ale from Alberta, Canada
bigrock.gif

Kokanee Gold Amber Lager - Canada
bottle_kokaneegold.jpg

Fort Garry Dark Ale - Winnipeg, Canada
fgb-dark.gif

and my friend Ralf's home-made Mead...sorry, no picture.

Good thread. Mighty fine choices for a weekender, Matt. I will have to post some of my recent tasters. FYI, the other beer posts were on the pics thread.

Stone IPA is one of their more subdued beers. Get the Bastard and let me know how strong you think that one is. Then try Ruination IPA (my favorite). Then step up to the Double Bastard, if you dare.

But, all in all, Stone is my fave brewery at the moment, with Avery not far behind. I've been through all the Unibroue's I could find (save for the old anniversaries I haven't been able to drum up) and am most impressed with Trois Pistoles and La Fin Du Monde.

In the fridge at the moment, I have...

Stone Oaked Bastard
Stone Imperial Russian Stout
Brother Thelonius
Avery The Czar
Avery Mephistopheles (16.1% stout!!!)
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (2006)

Today, I had the day off. I had a Westmalle Trappist Trippel and a Rodenbach. The Westmalle ruled, but the Rodenbach would be an acquired taste I haven't quite achieved (it's a soured Flanders ale).

You beat me to starting the thread though. Glad you did because I didn't think there were too many interested parties other than me and you, Matt. Here's to many fine discussions about proof that God loves us.

Good shit! Yuengling, for those not in the know, is America's oldest brewery. Please send some of each my way since they're not available in crummy New Mexico. :loco:

I remember when Yuengling was pretty much nonexistent outside of Pennsylvania. I only knew about it from my friend that lived there. Now I think you can even get it at Applebee's. Its definitely one of the better commercial US beers, along with Samuel Adams.

Since I can't remember where ABQ and I had started our beer snob discussion, I figured I'd just start a fresh thread.

Recently picked up:
hefewb_1_1.jpg

Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier
korbinian_1_1.jpg

Weihenstephaner Korbinian Doppelbock

YOU WIN!

I've had every Weihenstephaner besides the Korbinian I believe... can't seem to find it around here. :kickass:
They are the beer I basically always buy.

I remember when Yuengling was pretty much nonexistent outside of Pennsylvania. I only knew about it from my friend that lived there. Now I think you can even get it at Applebee's. Its definitely one of the better commercial US beers, along with Samuel Adams.

I remember it from my beercan collecting days. Yuengling may have been my first conetop can.......Oh lord, the SHIT I made my parents drink.
My mom (RIP) got really sick off of HopnGator....

My beer of choice is Coopers Pale Ale, a good South Aussie brew. If i have to drink foreign beer, I dont mind a Steinlager or 3 (NZ beer).