OT - The difference between Nu-metal and New metal

Social Distortion

The Voice of Reason
Sep 10, 2004
Lahti Rock City, Finland
It's been bugging me for a while how some people here call modern Anthrax nu-metal. I'd like to point out that there's a huge difference between being nu-metal and being new metal.

The obvious example of nu-metal is right here; the one and only Limp Bizkit! They got the rap beat down, Fred Durst's red cap and of course a scratch-solo by the mandatory DJ. I remember at this time wearing a t-shirt that said "Limp Bizkit Sucks Dick!". I hope they become popular again so I can hate some more!

Now here's Soil with their hit Halo from around the same time. As you can hear, there's a huge difference here. The song is guitar driven and there's no white boy rapping or scratching. The only similarity you can find is the driving drum beat. At the time Soil was said to be the next Metallica (in a good way). Too bad that the singer left the band and they never really recovered. I love Soil's Scars and Redefine albums.

In conclusion, Anthrax's "nu-metal album" We've Come For You All sounds nothing like the first video, but has a lot in common with the second one. Atleast I think so. Before the name calling starts, I LOVE THRASH METAL, I LOVE JOEY BELLADONNA'S SINGING AND I LOVE ANTHRAX.

If you don't agree with me, here's Ricky Bobby for you!

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO 'Inside Out' & 'Superhero" are nu-metal + solos *gg*. in the early days of Thrash some considered those bands 'new metal'. let music journalists create some more terms, Thrashcore, Speedcore, Hatecore, Deathcore, Crustcore - i want more!

IMO 'Inside Out' & 'Superhero" are nu-metal + solos *gg*. in the early days of Thrash some considered those bands 'new metal'. let music journalists create some more terms, Thrashcore, Speedcore, Hatecore, Deathcore, Crustcore - i want more!

Inside Out is kinda nu-metallish, I'll give you that.

Youre dumb Limp Bizkit is good.

Yes I am and no it's not.