OT - The World Cup, Anyone?

So no talk about the biggest sporting event in the solar system going as yet, thought I'd break the ice.

This thing going on in Germany right now is bigger than the Olympics by miles, it's politically correct to say the Olympics is more important because of the history and the diversity of events and nations but the world cup actually brings countries together like no other event on earth. Here in England 70% of the cars on the road and 50% of all households have the England flag waving from them, that's insane, record TV audiences tune in to watch the games. Right across Europe people are 'pulling sickies' at work to watch the games, as for South America, I think they just shut it down for a month. Even Australia is getting in on the act, street parties and celebrations at 3 in the morning after their first win. One of the poorest nations on earth, Angola, celebrated their first ever point for a real taste of national pride, they'll be talking about that for 100s of year to come. So why then are Americans not talking?? It just doesn't click no matter how hard the sponsor’s try does it. You guys got to the quarters last time but nobody battered an eyelid. Your missing out on something big here and it's a real shame.

To actually win the world cup is the single greatest national sporting achievement. It's a good thing we'll be winning it this year then innit! :kickass:

Anybody else bothering to give it a watch?

Shit yeh!! I'm an aussie, and my fav football is true football, which most people here call the S word (soccer). I posted about our win in the OT thread but nobody gave a damn :(.

So yeh, we're playing brazil in about 27 hours and that should b really cool. We arent afraid, cos they are really unfit/lazy atm. Although I'd much rather be playing england atm cos they are performing really poorly. Lots of possession but nothing constructive done up front :(. Thumbs down to ericsson too cos he probably shoulda brought on rooney earlier in the last game cos I felt that he was just starting to get into the game once it had finished.

I've tipped argentina to win from the start, and judging from their last win (6-0 for all you slackers who didnt watch it) I'd say I could be right in there ;). Also, Ecuador seem to have a REALLY good team this time round, though not as good as argentina but still pretty damn fine.

A very deserved thread, and i'm surprised I hadnt thought to start one myself :s.

GO THE ROOOOOOOS!!!!!

Brazil will win the whole shit, again! I hope...

But hey, gonna be a tough match against Australia. The showed their might against Japan,
they were gonna lose 0-1 but won 3-1 during the last ten minutes! Not bad.

Germany ain't doing half bad either, some decent players like Lahm (everybody now wants him), Schweinsteiger and the lightning quick David Odonkor, I think they'll do ok.

The USA though, absolutely toilet against Czech Republic, a poor tournament could push 'soccer's' progress back another 4 years over there. The impressive Italians loom for them tonight and could well send them home a game early.

As for England, well we are notoriously slow starters and don't play well unless there is pressure on us or we are underdogs. I'd still fancy us against the Argie-Bargies; Rooney running at those guys will give them a better test than the hapless Serbs anyway.

Brazil won't win it again, the defence is too old and they have a dodgy keeper, and as for Ronaldo, the advertising billboards showed more movement and initiative.

Most of them Aussies play in England and we see them every week; Kewell, Viduka, Schwarzer and Tim Cahill and genuine players and they could shock a few people.

I count Brazil as one of the favs more than I count England. I find the english playing style really slow and boring this world cup, although watching a few more games could reveal a different approach. The team I consider the absolute favorite tho is Argentina. Extremely good teamplay, (both matches they've played so far showed that) a roster of players with truely admirable skills. A sheer pleasure to watch those guys play.
VAMOS ARGENTINA! :kickass:

This world cup is one of the very boring ones in the history. Even Brazil is playing like they just met the football. There are no star players that keeps you on the edge. Boring matches.

You just described soccer in one sentence.

"Is the most boring ones in history."

Except, ones, means sport. I don't know how you people enjoy a sport where the games last an hour (roughly) and the score is 1 to 0 on a regular basis. Golf is the only thing worse. SNORESVILLE.

On top of that, the USA sucks nards at soccer (mostly because it's boring as hell to watch and no one wants to play a sport that even LOOKS that boring) so we have to cheer for another country once we're eliminate in the first round. Screw that noise. I'd have to go with the Czechs because I know a "Check" who's funny as hell.

^^ True, it's not as entertaining as in 2002. I really hope Brazil's gonna get better, and I think they will. Though Ronaldo is too fat, he can still clinch the goalscoring record of all time.

Hope that Italy won't get to the next round, I just can't stand their playing, especially some of the defenders and Totti. He can sure play but he shouldn't behave like a lil spoiled brat.

Thraxz said:

Except, ones, means sport. I don't know how you people enjoy a sport where the games last an hour (roughly) and the score is 1 to 0 on a regular basis. Golf is the only thing worse. SNORESVILLE.

On top of that, the USA sucks nards at soccer (mostly because it's boring as hell to watch and no one wants to play a sport that even LOOKS that boring) so we have to cheer for another country once we're eliminate in the first round. Screw that noise. I'd have to go with the Czechs because I know a "Check" who's funny as hell.

lol @ you. because watching 2-4 seconds of action and then waiting 30-40 seconds is sooooo much more exciting (baseball and football anyone)

anyway, the US played like shit in their first game but still probably isnt good enough to beat Italy. The only team that has really impressed me so far is argentina, even brazil didnt look great

Excuse me Thrax, but i don't think it is appropriate to critisize people's taste of sports. I also don't like baseball, and football (american football) at all but i don't critisize these sports. They are just sports.

I've watched every game so far.. Im Canadian but have taken to soccer since ive been about 18 or so... too late an age for me to start playing but I think its a great sport.

Argentina up to this point have looked like the best team.. but plenty of soccer to play yet... anything can happen.

Sitting for one hour while waiting for one secod of action is not soccer. That's Golf.

In the words of a man named Matt Damon....

Genocide is the most exhausting activity any being can ever engage in, next to soccer.

Thraxz said:

Thraxz, give up while your behind ;). You know you'll always lose criticising the most popular game on the planet.

If you want some real action watch the australia-brazil game in about 15 hours from now. We go in hard, and dont stop for the whole entire game.

Eternal Dragon said:
Thraxz, give up while your behind ;). You know you'll always lose criticising the most popular game on the planet.

If you want some real action watch the australia-brazil game in about 15 hours from now. We go in hard, and dont stop for the whole entire game.

That's the best arguement you can come up with? Hypocrisy abounds! Figure that one out yourself.

Thraxz said:
That's the best arguement you can come up with? Hypocrisy abounds! Figure that one out yourself.
That makes no sense in this context. What's hypocritical about soccer being the world's most popular sport?

I don't really care that you don't like the game, but there's no need to be antagonistic about a sport you clearly know nothing about judging from your uninformed description of it and then try to validate your vague point by incorrectly employing an intelligent sounding phrase.

Thraxz said:

Hmm, well forms of football (or soccer for the USA) has been around for ca 1500 years so trying to degrade it's importance in the human amusement factor is like having history against you. I'm sorry if you don't like it, just please don't think you've got the balls to back up the "boring" part because it's boring to you. I myself can't stand 10 seconds of rugby or baseball. I really do like hockey and basketball (especially the older NBA stuff) on the other hand. It's just a matter of personal taste.

Even if you don't like it though, you can't deny the extreme political and social influence it has on countries and people all over the world. Even wars (look up the so called "Soccer War") have been waged because of important soccer matches gone bad and cultural/political differences are or were always present in the history of football.
What I'm trying to say is that football has and will always be the greatest sport in human history, so express your dislike in a polite and personal manner or you're just going to sound ridiculous.