Other bands that don't suck.....

S

SoullessCorpse.

Yeah yeah this is the Nevermore forum, so of course it is going to be everyones favorite band (mine also), but just thought I'd see what you thought of some other bands too.
Anyone ever check out Tim Calverts band prior to Nevermore, Forbidden?
Their first two cd's, Forbidden Evil and Twist Into Form are what I consider two of the top 10 best thrash cd's ever..it's too bad they never had much label support.
http://vibrationsofdoom.com/test/Forbidden.html (almost the entire first cd via real player..their second is even better though)

Also, I know a lot of people think John Schaeffer is a riff masher/recycler and while I agree, I still like the majority of Iced Earth stuff. Just curious as to what your thoughts on having Tim Owens on the mic now that Barlow wants to become a cop or whatever. If you never checked out the samples from the upcoming cd while they were on the official site, here is a link to another (official is down). I like it, but hey...I liked Owens to begin with...he seems to have a lot more room to actually do his own thing now as opposed to just mimicking Halford.
http://www.spv.de/artikel/icedearth.html

Last but not least, have you ever heard of Brainstorm? Reminds me a lot of a mixture of Nevermore, Iced Earth, Jag Panzer and some of Bruce Dickinson's solo works. It's another German metal band (with a godly singer), but they have a lot more in common with the US metal than Euro IMO.
http://www.truemetal.org/brainstorm/index2.htm

Forbidden's "Twisted Into Form" and "Distortion" ultimately rule very much. "Distortion" sounds to me like premature Nevermore.
Iced Earth suck (except "Burnt Offerings" and various other songs)
Brainstorm dont suck that much
Jag Panzer rule all the bands you mentioned.
And Vicious Rumors do rule a lot ("same album" "Digital Dictator" and "Soldiers Of The Night" more)

*listening to Forbidden right now*

Aaahhh I love 80s thrashy stuff

I just recently heard about Vicious Rumors, but have yet to be able to sample any of them. I read that the S/T album was their best, and I'm eager to hear some of it.
And yeah, Jag Panzer rules (The Fourth Judgement and Mechanized Warfare especially), and is definitely better than Iced Earth, but I am really into Brainstorm right now and Forbiddens Twist Into Form and Forbidden Evil are really hard to beat. Distortion on the other hand is...bleh...
As far as IE's actual good stuff, I like The Dark Saga, Days of Purgatory and Burnt Offerings. The next best would have to be the trilogy on Something Wicked, but other than that I only like a few songs off their other albums...most are boring melodramatic, Paul Stanley ballads.

Iced Earth released three really fantastic albums, culminating in Burnt Offerings, and then an even better collection of re-recordings that combined the thrashy songwriting of the first two albums with Matt Barlow's spectacular vocals.. Then Jon Schaffer got lazy and they did three really boring albums, with a great live record thrown in to break the monotony. The new one sounds pretty promising, though...some actual NEW RIFFS.

Even though Nevermore is, in my humble opinion, the most energetic and idea-laden band in the world today, i still have to take off my hat to bands such as Iron Maiden, Sabbath, Megadeth, Helloween, because, not only are they pioneers of various metal streams, but have affected Nevermore in a great basis. So hail Nevermore, Maiden, Megadeth, Death, Possessed, Blind Guardian, Sabbath!!

Manipulate the Media! :kickass:

Pyrus said:
Iced Earth released three really fantastic albums, culminating in Burnt Offerings, and then an even better collection of re-recordings that combined the thrashy songwriting of the first two albums with Matt Barlow's spectacular vocals.. Then Jon Schaffer got lazy and they did three really boring albums, with a great live record thrown in to break the monotony. The new one sounds pretty promising, though...some actual NEW RIFFS.

I am in full agreement with this. I can't understand how people can like SWTWC. I think it's one of the weakest metal albums of all time.

For those of you who like Jag Panzer [as do I!!] check out new US metal band Ballistic!! They are great.

Here a song from there debut: http://www.gattismetal.com/Ballistic-CollCourse-1.wma

Their website sucks big time but who gives a shit :D

The Singer for Ballistic sounds to me like a Bon Scott that took vocal lessons...

I just picked up Agent Steel's Order of The Illuminati....
Wow...old Metallica + Number of the Beast era Maiden (singer sounds like a really pissed off Dickinson with more range) + Forbidden + modern production...it really kicks lots of ass...then again, they are an old school Bay Area thrash band too.

SoullessCorpse. said:
I just picked up Agent Steel's Order of The Illuminati....
Wow...old Metallica + Number of the Beast era Maiden (singer sounds like a really pissed off Dickinson with more range) + Forbidden + modern production...it really kicks lots of ass...then again, they are an old school Bay Area thrash band too.

Nope they are from LA. If you like their latest check out their 80s releases.

Hawk said:
Nope they are from LA. If you like their latest check out their 80s releases.
Yeah, but San Francisco isn't that far away....anyway they share a similiar sound. And I listened to their debut...musically it is incredible, but the vocals+production sound like it was recorded in a garage and sung through a can. The current singer/album on the other hand is an entirely differnt story.

Oh, have to throw in Cage's Darker than Black album. Up till now, they just sounded like another Priest hack ala Primal Fear, but Darker than Black one ups anything any other Priest-like band has done yet, and IMO is the Heaviest and best "Priest" album since Painkiller. Jugulator was "ok" but Demolition just sucks. Im having a hard time deciding which I like more..EOR or Darker than Black right now.

Hawk said:
I am in full agreement with this. I can't understand how people can like SWTWC. I think it's one of the weakest metal albums of all time.

YES, FINALLY, someone who knows the score.

Ok, OK, sigh I have to admid the trilogy is pretty good. But it is nowhere near the quality of "Travel in Stygian" or Dantes Inferno"

Hey SoullessCorpse I really like the "Darker than Black" album from Cage. Very good solid US metal the way I like it.

Hawk said:
Ok, OK, sigh I have to admid the trilogy is pretty good. But it is nowhere near the quality of "Travel in Stygian" or Dantes Inferno"
Truer words were never spoken, but it is at least the saving grace that prevents STWTWC from being used primarily as a coaster.
Best Iced Earth:
1. Days of Purgatory (double disc)
2. The Dark Saga
3. Burnt Offerings

Oh yeah, and lets not forget Iron Maiden, especially now that they are back in top form. Dance of Death easily annihilates everything they have written since 7th son of a 7th son. I did not really like Brave New World at all...this disc blows it away..yes, believe the hype.
It's still no Chemical Wedding, but it's still awesome for what it is.