Other Favourite Bands

Other than In Flames, I love Bodom, Metallica, Dark Tranquillity, Soilwork, Kalmah (I'm surprised no one listed them), Byzantine is really fucking good, I suggest checking them out even though they are no longer together, Dream Theater, Trivium, and of course Passenger. Those are the ones I listen to the most, but I also like a lot of the other bands you guys have mentioned. I also heavily listen to Eminem and am getting into a bit more of rap.

Yes, pop and such, but for some reason, a lot of GOOD metal never hits our airwaves in Las Vegas. As for Lamb of God, I liked As the Palaces Burn album (I know I sound like the typical "before they were mainstream" kid). If that album had better quality sound, it would be a top 10 favorite album for me. After that, it got so recycled. Not into them that much anymore.

I have massive respect for the Beastie Boys, maybe because it's all my father listened to for a while.

If you could name a good Florida thrash band, I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

Hey, sorry I missed this post. As far as thrash bands from Florida I can't think of any offhand, most of the thrash I listen to is either Bay Area or New York, but one good Florida death metal band you might like is Atheist. Their second album is pretty thrashy and has some cool jazz stuff going on. Third album is even more about the jazz, first album is straightforward death metal basically, really good album though. They also have a new album out but I'm not a huge fan of it though. Check out Unquestionable Presence, though, my favourite of their albums.

I started off listening to some classic rock: in and around Ozzy Osbourne, Durran Durran etc.

My cousin got me into tonnes of music- she was going through and goth phase and that reflected into my taste, moving me onto darker bands like Cradle of Filth, Nightwish etc. Check out the self-professed 'Horror-metal' band The Vision Bleak. Still remain to this day, my favourite band of this kind of music.

Moving onwards: i got into Rammstein and they were the only thing i listened to for a long while... until i translated their lyrics and discovered how pervertedly estranged they are :guh: Nonetheless, great innovative music! :rolleyes:

Exiting a darker period of my life, i got into Killswitch Engage- the lead singers poetic, liberating vocals being really uplifting. And fuckin' slaying. :kickass:

Despite most metalcore being mainstream-appealing turds these days, i still follow the original 'new wave' as they were called. Somewhere down the line i got into Christian Metal, and no i'm not a christian or religious at all. I'd soon become a fan of Soilwork, then slightly afterwards In Flames, along with Children of Bodom (a band i have since lost interest in, and can't bring myself to listen to). Engel i got into last year.

Thrashy stuff: i'm into Machine Head and Shadows Fall.

Bands i'm currently listening to:

Machine Head - just fuckin' epic band. Many songs running over 7 minutes in length. Aggressive and fist pumpingly righteous! :kickass:

Trivium - Japanese and Greek mythology thrown together as a concept-ish album with thrashy bits and an epic tone to everything. :Smokedev:

And... In Flames - just can't get enough of these guys. Just listened to a playlist consisting of (in this order): Moonshield, Scorn, Cloud Connected (The Club-Connected Remix) and Abnegation. A playlist, i can proudly say, that i really enjoyed! :worship:

My History of Music- The End

Last edited by a moderator:

I like Arcturus, among many other. Great song!

I like Killswitch Engage but I haven't gotten into their second self-titled album. I feel like it's just more of the same, as evidenced by the reusing of one of their album titles. I do really like The End of Heartache and As Daylight Dies though.

I like Killswitch Engage but I haven't gotten into their second self-titled album. I feel like it's just more of the same, as evidenced by the reusing of one of their album titles. I do really like The End of Heartache and As Daylight Dies though.

A million brownie points to you, sir! Respect! Yeah the 2009 self titled is too much of the same- in fact it's like a load of B-sides from As Daylight Dies, that didn't make it due to their simplicity. I've heard they are returning to a heavier sound on the next album though, luckily. :kickass:

Have you heard the ex-vocalist Jesse Leach's current bands?

You may have heard of Seemless, a bluesy rock band that Jesse made with members of Unearth after he left Killswitch. They aren't together anymore due to Unearth members off doing what they do.

Jesse went and made another band called The Empire Shall Fall. And they are really awesome. Politically charged, hardcore-infused, melodic. Some epic stuff going on, with one full length album named 'Awaken' behind them, and a 3-part concept trilogy of EPs coming out this year.

This is a good example:

Jesse recently teamed up with current Killswitch Engage guitarist Adam D, and they formed the band Times of Grace. Adam D wrote all of the music and played Drums, bass, lead and rythm guitars, along with lead vocals in many songs. Jesse handled the lyrics and the bulk of the vocals. It's very experimental, but remeniscent of As Daylight Dies in it's nature and feel (but with even better production). I highly recommend Times of Grace!

It's great that Jesse is getting back into the game, especially after he fucked up his vocals so bad in KSE.

It's actually a funny misconception... it wasn't actually his vocals being damaged that caused him to leave the band. He got depressed- drinking only water, surrounded by booze, i guess that doesn't help! And he'd only just gotten married upon the success of AOJB, didn't get a chance to spend any time with his new wife :) He left KsE when it got too much. He's back stronger than ever though, and his new music is sometimes astonishing!

It's actually a funny misconception... it wasn't actually his vocals being damaged that caused him to leave the band. He got depressed- drinking only water, surrounded by booze, i guess that doesn't help! And he'd only just gotten married upon the success of AOJB, didn't get a chance to spend any time with his new wife :) He left KsE when it got too much. He's back stronger than ever though, and his new music is sometimes astonishing!

It's not a total misconception, it may not have been the only reason for him leaving but he definitely damaged his chords. Well, according to himself anyway... unless he was lying :D

KSE said:
"Due to personal issues and vocal strain, Killswitch Engage vocalist Jesse Leach has announced that he is taking a break from the band's current tour featuring Kittie, Poison The Well and Shadows Fall,"

This was their official press release at the time. Kittie... what a load of shit :D

Hahah, A88, hit the nail on the head there!

Well Jesse remarked how he wasn't screaming properly at the time, he was 'forcing the vocals out' as he put it. Apparently he wasn't using the right technique, forcing the screams out with pure emotion alone. Of course it contributed to more of his problems. He wouldn't go out partying with the lads (not wanting to aggrevate his chords even more), and he was missing his wife. He was depressed and claims himself this is reason he left. I guess it all mounts up in the end... anyway he's back on the boil now, touring across Europe with Times of Grace and making kick-ass metal again. :worship:

Jester313, it's strange you mention that... it's not just politics in The Empire Shall Fall, that would get pretty boring. There's alot of stuff similar to Come Clarity in it's humanitarian upholding. Y'know the righteous feel! :kickass:

That song i posted earlier is questioning 9/11 and all the darkness surrounding that. And there's others with anti-racism themes etc. :Smokedev:

I don't like the band, but this is quite good power ballad.

Oh, that explains your avatar... :D

I'm not a big fan o power metal. I especially dislike Stratovarius and Rhapsody (of Fire, Water, Steel - whatever). But there are some OK-ish bands and songs.

Helloween and Gamma Ray are awesome. Love Kai Hansen! Stratovarius are great too, especially some of their newer proggier stuff. Now Sonata Arctica I don't really care for, always saw them as a lesser version of Strat. And who can forget Blind Guardian. :D Been listening to them a lot lately. Dark Empire and Savage Circus are also great, with that singer who sounds so much like Hansi.