Other Favourite Bands

Grihm

May 17, 2011
Canada
While we're all waiting for the album to leak, I'd like to hear some of you guys' other favourite bands.

Right now besides In Flames I really like Symphony X and Iced Earth. Both are pretty heavy with really powerful vocals. Symphony X have a new album coming out pretty much around the same time as SOAPF (it hasn't leaked yet either) so I have a lot to look forward to the next few weeks. :D

Here's an example of each of their styles:

As far as other melodeath I was listening to some Mors Principium Est, they have some pretty great songs. The Absence is also one of my favourite melodeath bands.

Feel free to check my last.fm, I know quite a few of us have it from seeing people posting on the IF page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disarminia mundi ftw...my favorite at the moment in fact. Others I'm currently listening t a lot is scar symmetry..solution 45...and even divine heresys bleed the fifth

Opeth

Insomnium

And just recently found this cover of Silent Hill soundtrack

I generally switch between power and melodic death bands... favourites are:

Altaria, Allen-Lande, Arch Enemy, At The Gates, Avantasia, Blinded Colony, Carcass, Bodom, Disarmonia Mundi, DT, Dragonforce (their old stuff anyway :D), Dream Evil, Edguy, ELO, Falconer, Firewind, Freedom Call, Gamma Ray, Iced Earth, Maiden, Kamelot, Katatonia, Lost Horizon, Machine Head, 'Tallica, Megadeth, Masterplan, Mercenary, Mors Principulum Est, Nevermore, Power Quest, Rhapsody (of fire), Rise Against, Sabaton, Saint Deamon, Scar Symmetry, Soilwork, Sonata Arctica (older stuff again), Stratovarius, Turisas, Visions of Atlantis...

There are more, but I think those are the ones I listen to most regularly :D

Hmm...Mors Principum Est, Insomnium, Equilibrium, Dark Tranquillity, Blind Guardian, Mercenary,Scar Symmetry, Belakor, Wintersun, Carcass, Entombed(old stuff really), At the Gates, Amorphis(older material), Sonata Artica, Kamelot, Unanimated, Amon Amarth(not very often though), Gamma Ray, Ensiferum, Opeth. Thats all I can remember off the top of my head :S.

Fair to Midland. You really have to hear more than one of their songs though.... just not from their terrible first album.

This is the first single from their last album:

He only does that crazy voice that you hear near the end once on this album.

And they have a new one coming out in July which is tied with SoaPF for my most-anticipated albums of the year. Here's one of the two songs that they have released:

Nice guys, lots of good bands. I like some power metal too, Gamma Ray and Helloween are great, love Kai Hansen. Disarmonia and Soilwork, especially their older albums like Chainheart Machine. Speed is an awesome vocalist. I love some thrashier stuff too like Skeletonwitch, lots of speed and some great melody.

Fair to Midland.

These guys are great. I don't have anything by them but everything I've heard by them is fantastic.

Most of my favorite bands aren't exactly metal (i.e. Steely Dan, Modest Mouse, Silversun Pickups), but the ones that are include...

Agalloch
At the Gates (especially The Red in the Sky is Ours)
Dark Tranquillity
Grievance
Sacrilege GBG
Sonata Arctica (especially The Days of Grays)
Theatre of Tragedy

Sacrilege GBG has to be my favorite metal band, though. Both of their albums are pretty much perfect in my opinion.

Grievance (feat. Anders Friden, of course):

Sacrilege GBG:

^ That's great to hear, man. Fables From A Mayfly is an excellent album, end-to-end. I really dig their stuff anyway.

I'm glad that you mentioned At the Gates too. I heard of them a loooong time ago but I wasn't too interested. Then a couple of years ago, I discovered Slaughter of the Soul and I listened to that album relentlessly for a good long while. At some point, I kind of forgot about them though. I guess that happens when the band isn't around anymore. I'm going to have to throw it onto my ipod now. :D

I've been listening to some other stuff besides metal lately, mostly "darker" music like industrial kind of stuff, dark ambient, some folk stuff too... Really enjoying Godspeed You! Black Emperor's F#A#(infinity) album. Very cool stuff. Can't really name much else though, mostly listening on last.fm tag radio. Burial's self-titled album is pretty cool, mix of ambient and electronic... really cool bass. Dubstep apparently, but nothing like any of the dubstep songs I've heard before with the wob-wob-wob bass.

Also some Pendulum, I think they are pretty cool, especially the song with In Flames. Love their synth lines, on Blood Sugar and Slam especially.

If by radio you mean pop songs and stuff, I agree completely. Also in regards to newer American metal bands like Lamb of God and DevilDriver... haven't really been able to get into them, not really my style. Though I like American thrash, quite a few Florida death metal bands and some of the power/progressive metal acts like the ones in the OP.

I'm quite a fan of New York bands actually... a couple of my favourites, Anthrax (thrash) and the Beastie Boys (alt. hip-hop), are both from there.

For Metal,
Dark Tranquillity, Dimension Zero, Soul Demise, Dream Theater, Carcass, Darkane, Soilwork, Pestilence, At The Gates.

I like a lot of rock music as well. I've been listening to some alt rock lately too, Smashing Pumpkins, Dinosaur Jr, CKY, Hot Water Music.

In flames, Dhaffer youseff, Guns n roses, Insomnium, Dimension zero, Bring me the horizon, Vital Remains, Amon Amarth, Theater of Tragedy, The black Dahlia murder, My dying Bride, John Lee Hooker, Led Zeppelin, The cult, MGMT, Lissie, DT, at the gates, Dan Swano, Nightingale, Edge of Sanity, Opeth, Megadeth,wintersun

The 2 bands I never get bored of and that is on every playlist are In Flames and Insomnium

Check out Steel, a spoof band that was recorded by Dan Swano and Mikael During an Opeth recording session

Check out Steel a s

If by radio you mean pop songs and stuff, I agree completely. Also in regards to newer American metal bands like Lamb of God and DevilDriver... haven't really been able to get into them, not really my style. Though I like American thrash, quite a few Florida death metal bands and some of the power/progressive metal acts like the ones in the OP.

I'm quite a fan of New York bands actually... a couple of my favourites, Anthrax (thrash) and the Beastie Boys (alt. hip-hop), are both from there.

Yes, pop and such, but for some reason, a lot of GOOD metal never hits our airwaves in Las Vegas. As for Lamb of God, I liked As the Palaces Burn album (I know I sound like the typical "before they were mainstream" kid). If that album had better quality sound, it would be a top 10 favorite album for me. After that, it got so recycled. Not into them that much anymore.

I have massive respect for the Beastie Boys, maybe because it's all my father listened to for a while.

If you could name a good Florida thrash band, I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

Samael

Darkest Hour

Hypocrisy:

In Flames is probably 4th on my list after them, and together they're pretty much the only 4 bands I listen to these days.

My main favorite is Cradle of Filth. Also My Dying Bride. In Flames of course my old fav. It's hard there are so many. Hypocrisy, Sybreed, Necrophagist, Obscura.

Oh I don't know if you guys heard of this band, but they are probably going to be big and I'm sure alot of you will love them. The vocalist sounds like the vocalist from Darkest Hour. These guys don't play around, all three members have tremendous talent. They have only two albums and making a third, and I was blown away! Very thrashy and heavy, amazing solos, drumming, bass lines, everything! Forget In Flames, these guys are what In Flames should be...