Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Out Hud – S.T.R.E.E.T. D.A.D.
Kranky krank057 November 4th 2002
By Russell Garwood

Out Hud are a New York band whose unusual music is well suited to Kranky’s eclectic, innovative roster. The five piece produce “dry brittle art funk”, which draws inspiration from not only their sole named influence “The Lines”, but acid house, hip-hop, post-rock, post-punk and a plethora of other styles besides. The ebbing and flowing, effects-laden guitars provide atmosphere, as well as a jazzy feel, while the less syncopated bass forms a solid backing for the overlying experimentation. The drums are, at times, dance-orientated, occasionally trip-hop-esque and in more powerful sections have a rock vibe, while violins add that wistful post-rock feel in just the right places. Digital sounds prompt the acid house references, and at times build noise crescendos, only to subside like a breaking wave and transform into melodic guitars and compelling melodies. Sporadically the electronics take over from the glistening guitars to play the melody, adding further variety in an already mind-expandingly diverse album.

All of this is loosely held within a progressive framework, subtly building up the music layer upon layer, before metamorphosing into another style completely. By removing certain lines and adding others the band maintain a common element throughout their songs, despite their chameleon-esque qualities. As such a method of development would suggest, the music is frequently complex in the extreme, and always drowning the listener in fascinating twists and unexpected turns. With such an ever-changing sound standout tracks are impossible to pick and the highest quality is maintained throughout, but the titles are worthy of mention just because of the band’s sense of humour. So, from “Dad, There’s a Little Phrase Called Too Much Information”, through “Hair Dude, You’re Stepping On My Mystique” all the way to “The L Train is a Swell Train and I Don’t Want to Hear You Indies Complain”, “S.T.R.E.E.T. D.A.D.” will appeal to all fans of cutting edge non-metal music. What I suggest now is, if you like the sound of it, go out and buy the album, have a chuckle at the song titles, then sit back and get lost in elucidating fusion.