Outstanding albums of this decade?

Watain - Casus Luciferi
Ondskapt - Draco Sit Mihi Dux
Deathspell Omega - Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice
Katharsis - Kruzifixxion
Funeral Mist - Salvation

The new Dissection may end up here too...

lizard said:
Choirs of the Eye is simply a triumph on so many levels. now if only virgin records would realize that "Kayo Dot" is not a person and stop filing it as Dot, Kayo...:erk:

reasons:
Baliset is a great guitar player
Toby writes great lyrics
Mia is a great violinist and cute to boot

so let's summarize: cute chick, great lyrics and music, a sense of adventure!

Just thought I should point out, that according to my booklet, all the lyrics come courtsy of Byron :p

Russell said:
Just thought I should point out, that according to my booklet, all the lyrics come courtsy of Byron :p
That's what I thought too, but since lizard maintains residence on the Kayo Dot board, figured I shouldn't question his knowledge. :Spin:

I have no idea what you guys see in Kayo Dot. Yes, yes, I am gay, lying, retarded, and a little blargu. :loco:

Oh and can someone burn me a CD-R of a good Devin Townsend album - perhaps the Ocean Machine thing?

OK albums of this decade thus far (in no order):

Hammers of Misfortune - The Bastard
Hammers of Misfortune - The August Engine
Empyrium - Weiland
Mithras - Worlds Beyond the Veil
Primordial - Spirit the Earth Aflame
Nile - In their Darkened Shrines
Agalloch - The Mantle
Agalloch - Of Stone, Wind, and Pillor
King Diamond - The Puppet Master
Falkenbach - Ok Nefna Tysvar Ty
Negura Bunget - 'N Crugu Bradului
Wolverine - Cold Light of Monday
Solefald - In Harmonia Universali
Virgin Black - Elegant...and Dying
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
Orphaned Land - Mabool

It's too early to tell which will stand the test of time (although Empyrium and Hammers make music that is simply timeless), but these are basically some releases that stand out and still get lots of airplay. There are other strong albums out there, but my brain hurts.

JayKeeley said:
Solefald - In Harmonia Universali
HA! You were so damn hesitant to get this, and I finally snuck in a CD-R to you and you love it! VICTORY! :tickled:
JayKeeley said:
I have no idea what you guys see in Kayo Dot. Yes, yes, I am gay, lying, retarded, and a little blargu. :loco:
You need to give that another shot. I don't think you'll love it, but there are certain moments I think you would, like the ending of Manifold Curiosity. That album took me AGES to finally appreciate it, it started off as a 6/10 album that I shut off halfway through most of the time, to now where I probably listen to it 4 days out of the week, and have for months on end. OMG IT IS JUST THAT GOOD LOZLZOLZ!!!!111111fourhundredtwelve

CorpseFlowerGuardian said:
I was mildly scared that mia wanted to take a bite out of me but I was protected by bald botanists who formed a HUMAN SHIELD.
I really don't like you, you foiled a research plot that could have saved tens of Internet addicts from boredom, but nooooooooooooooo.

I'm more nit-picky than you guys, but i'll do my best. I don't necessarily listen to these a lot, but I feel these will be remembered fondly for being genuinely near-classic albums.

Aborym - Fire Walk With Us! (2001)
I picked this one, simply because this is where many heard it first. The mixture of black metal and industrial/techno, I mean. If they heard it elsewhere, this is where they heard it done right for the first time. Forget Satyricon, Thorns, and DHG. Aborym are the real thing.

Devin Townsend - Terria (2001)
This is one huge album. This will be remembered as being Devin's most adventuous work. A perfect summer-time album, and the only Devin album you'll ever need.

Graveland - Creed of Iron (2000)
This may seem like an odd choice, since it is not highly revered as some others. I really like this one. It is Graveland at their most bombastic and Conan-like. Easily their most accessible album so far, it can be seen as a very good starting point for new fans. It also features one of Graveland's best songs.

Neurosis - A Sun That Never Sets (2001)
I'm not crazy about this album, but I can't deny it's near-classic status. Showing a side of Neurosis none could have guessed at, it shows power while remaining calm and subdued. It is also a favorite among a lot of fans.

Nile - Black Seeds of Vengeance (2000)
Most heard it first with BSoV. This one will be remembered more fondly than ITDS, if only because it came first and featured more of the Egyptian dabblings. Personally, it is my favorite from them.

Primordial - Spirit the Earth Aflame (2000)
The Pagan metal album. Flawless.