Overpopulation

The Devil's Steed said:
So not following your religious belief systems means we should believe that NO ONE has the right to choose who dies or who doesn't? If a God that has the right to judge doesn't exist, then the burden falls on the people to do this themselves.
you consider yourself capable of deciding the worth of human life? i strongly disagree that anyone has such ability. you and i are not gods, we hold no authority over humanity.

crimsonfloyd said:
First off, the Bible does not just say to reproduce to keep the human race from dying out. It says to reproduce enough to cover as much land as possible. I can't remember the exact wording or where in the Bible this is said unfortunatley, but it basically has to do with humans inheriting the Earth, taming everything else and all that other garbage....
so you can't remember, but you expect me to believe your misinterpretation of the bible?

crimsonfloyd said:
I NEVER said anything that implied that athiests were above the issue of overpopulation, I just stated that Christians, Muslims and Jews tend to have a lot of kids... more then the average athiest
show me proof. notice how you first deny, but then restate the same argument i adressed before.

crimsonfloyd said:
However because athiests rarley have issues with birthcontrol, and have issues with abortion much less often then religious, they are less likely to have children. Oh and one more expiriment you may find interesting.
show me proof. you make a lot of bold statements that exist in midair upon no supporting framework other than your own observational guesswork, which i am supposed to take your word on.

as for the websites, there are untold countless numbers of websites frantically trying to prove this and that. one cannot see a "majority" of websites concerning a topic unless one has seen all of them. you can only find a sample and make a guess.

Sorry I'm either at, going to or coming back from work from 12pm to 11pm every day of the week so I really don't have time to search in detail for such records. I did however scan some US and UK census records but it doesn't seem that they track religion, so it seems it would be pretty damn hard to find the hard facts you want so badly. Perhaps this weekend when I have free time I will search some more. But can you honestly tell me that you think, from your personal observations, and from your personal experiences, that you think religious people have the same number of children as athiests? And as for asking for proof brithcontrol and abortion, please stop playing stupid. I'll find some links to the offical stances of some major churches this weekend if you would like though.

crimsonfloyd said:
Sorry I'm either at, going to or coming back from work from 12pm to 11pm every day of the week so I really don't have time to search in detail for such records. I did however scan some US and UK census records but it doesn't seem that they track religion, so it seems it would be pretty damn hard to find the hard facts you want so badly. Perhaps this weekend when I have free time I will search some more. But can you honestly tell me that you think, from your personal observations, and from your personal experiences, that you think religious people have the same number of children as athiests? And as for asking for proof brithcontrol and abortion, please stop playing stupid. I'll find some links to the offical stances of some major churches this weekend if you would like though.
i doubt many here would have time for such research either, which is why i question such claims spoken as if fact.

honestly i don't think christians have any different number of children than atheists, from my personal experiences with both groups. keep in mind that i am referring to actual christians, and not those who assume merely a pretense. same for atheists. also keep in mind i have moved many times (and again as shown by my signature below) so that i have experienced life on the west coast, central, and east coast of united states, and have lived in cities, suburbs, and rural areas. i now live in a heavily forested area with little population. i have visited a majority of the world (would like to see asia), but given the context of only several months time spent in those places, i don't think i can give an accurate description of the situations there over time.

as for the topic of abortion, clearly i would oppose it. as for birth control, i am undecided in my stance.

Well I tend to agree with Crimson Floyds observation. For example, Europe, which is largely indifferent to religion--or pays lip service to religion--the birth rate is below 2 per couple. In the US, if one goes to the coast, one finds those highly educated, largely indifferent to religion persons have less children than those religious ones.

But hey, this is all observation, I m not saying it is true, but I do say find some information SS to prove it is wrong, otherwise he may be right.

Religious people tend to have more children than atheists, but that's not because they are religious - it's just religious people are mostly less educated and rich than atheists, and poorer = more children. That's all, it's not that difficult.

kmik said:
Religious people tend to have more children than atheists, but that's not because they are religious - it's just religious people are mostly less educated and rich than atheists, and poorer = more children. That's all, it's not that difficult.

In the United States and Latin America this is the case, but I dont know about Europe and the Middle East.

kmik said:
explain your use of the word "religious". there are christians i know who live in poverty by their own design, giving what they have to help others and maintaining only necessary posessions.

if by rich you mean the catholic church heirarchy, then that is another issue. i regard them with little respect.

furthermore, you claim that these "religious" people are less educated. where did you get such information? you have absolutely no way to prove such a rediculous claim.

therefore, it is more difficult than you had thought.

Silent Song said:
the reverse is also applicable.

That one does not need to prove this claim at all? I dont understand. Then you are disagreeing merely because you feel it is wrong, but have no way to make any valid argument. I am merely sayng upon personal observation I too have noticed a correlation between religion and # of children.

No offense man, but you generally argue out of your own personal moral and logical beliefs, nothing more ( And these beliefs are generally quite odd or in some cases rather dogmatic). You never consider they may be faulty. It must be nice to be so sure of oneself.

speed:

you ask that i find information to prove him wrong, but i respond that he should also attempt to prove me wrong. if you doubt my claims without evidence, logic dictates that you should doubt his without support as well. i am not on defense here, it is a debate, in which all sides are accountable

Silent Song said:
speed:

you ask that i find information to prove him wrong, but i respond that he should also attempt to prove me wrong. if you doubt my claims without evidence, logic dictates that you should doubt his without support as well. i am not on defense here, it is a debate, in which all sides are accountable

Look, the whole time I have been saying that my belief that monthiests have more children then athiests was based on my empyrical experience. Like I said I have no hard facts on the issue, and doubt they can be found without the use of combining a great amount of statistics from different documentations, which of course in the end you would refer to as "faulty information". So yes what I have been saying this whole time is that FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN IN MY LIFE EXPERIENCES Christains have more children then athiests. Obviously my view is not totally unfounded as Speed has brought up some relevent if not directly related points on the issue.

You have however stated that my view is a "blantent lie". If its so blatent of a lie you should have no problem showing evidence to prove its false nature. So yeah, the burden of proof is kinda on you.

the alumnus said:
that's not always the case. russia=poor, yet very few children. saudi arabia=rich, yet alot of children.
Could be but the comparison should be between rich russians and poor russians. Besides Russia is still the richer country.

I'm not saying that poor people tend to be religious; actually rich people tend to be irrelgious. That's because rich and educated people know more about science, or at least are willing to accept it more easily. Rich people are also typically less fat for that reason (In modern times there is enough food for almost everyone, but only rich people know how important sports and healthy nutrition are)

speed said:
No offense man, but you generally argue out of your own personal moral and logical beliefs, nothing more ( And these beliefs are generally quite odd or in some cases rather dogmatic). You never consider they may be faulty. It must be nice to be so sure of oneself.

I'm glad someone someone said it first.

Again, no offense. :wave:

Silent Song said:
you consider yourself capable of deciding the worth of human life? i strongly disagree that anyone has such ability. you and i are not gods, we hold no authority over humanity.

The worth of human life, period? No. Do I believe myself capable of deciding if some people are deserve human life? Yes. Executions and destruction of the human race are not the same thing, which is the claim you seem to be making.

Now, let's take your idea about holding no authority over humanity to it's logical extent:

We have no right to judge people based on their actions, no right to punish criminals. So what do we do when someone commits a rape, or a murder, or any other crime? We let them go, since we have no right to enforce punishment on them or judge.

That system works REAL well, doesn't it? :Smug:

And this is a hypothetical question, so keep that in mind. I don't intend to start questioning your religion, I just want to know how you feel about this.

If it was discovered and proven that there was no over-seeing deity that ruled the Earth, would it then be justified to kill people, under any kind of circumstances? (for purposes of execution, culling the herd, etc.)

kmik said:
Could be but the comparison should be between rich russians and poor russians. Besides Russia is still the richer country.

I'm not saying that poor people tend to be religious; actually rich people tend to be irrelgious. That's because rich and educated people know more about science, or at least are willing to accept it more easily. Rich people are also typically less fat for that reason (In modern times there is enough food for almost everyone, but only rich people know how important sports and healthy nutrition are)

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/fields/2004.html

no, russia is much poorer than saudi arabia. they have less children because they are a highly educated people, whereas the saudis are very ignorant as a people. most saudi women are completely illiterate. in fact, saudi arabia has a higher birth rate than other poorer countries. compare costa rica http://www.worldpress.org/profiles/costa_rica.cfm
gdp per capita saudi arabia: 12,000; costa rica: 9,600
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/rankorder/2004rank.html

population growth rate: saudis: 2.31% (2005 est.) costa rica:1.65% (2001est.)

developed nations have lower population growth, but i don't believe its tied to income or religion, but rather to education. compare the literacy rate of fast growing population regions to slow growth areas, and then compare the population growth. the correlation is strong.
http://www.prb.org/Content/Navigati...ation/Population_Growth/Population_Growth.htm