Overrated drink

whitedamp

Aug 28, 2006
Brazil
I´ve seen pictures of some "Velho Barreiro" and "51" brazillian´s pingas (I don´t know how to say "pinga" in english) being sold for more than 16 euros a bottle on France. I was thinking "damn, these people are really stupid, 51 and Velho Barreiro are garbage drinks, here they are literally cheaper than a bottle of Coca-Cola". But last week a russian girl laughed at my face because I´ve said that I like to drink vodca Stolichnaya, which is pretty expensive here.
I´m wondering, which drinks in your country are cheap garbage but expensive and "famous" on other countries?

I bet that no mexican would ever drink a José Cuervo tequila!

Velho Barreira and 51 are cachaca, a spirit obtained by distilling sugar cane juices (or most probably molasses) and which is vaguely similar to rhum (the younger ones). In Italy they don't cost much, but they're the only exact ingredient for doing the Caipirinha, an excellent brazilian cocktail (of course, other better cachacas are available too, but more expensive).
I've never heard of the vodka you drink, in Italy Absolut is considered quite nice and Grey Goose is considered (and IS, imho) excellent. Strangely enough, not only a Canadian vodka is very good, but also many use Skyy Vodka, which is pretty good and is American! I don't know about other countries, but italians like Pampero rhum, which is serious crap...
Actually, I'm very curoius: what do you guys normally drink?

P.S. Don't know if you can tell, but I'm a bartender!

I heard that the Sierra Tequilla isn't best quality (white or brown) and that none in Mexico would drink it. Don't know if that's true though (never trust the telly).

But other then that it's beer. Rothaus Tannenzäpfle. Supporting the more local brewery scene! :kickass:
Don't know why but I like Carlsberg too.
Jägermeister is always welcome and I wouldn't reject some nice whiskey like Jameson, Tullamore Dew, Bushmills Malt.
Maybe Gavin can give me some hints on some good scottish whiskey :)

Wodka and Uzo is good to. But I don't have a favorite brand.

Tried some Absinth at a rock club couple of weeks before when I was in Finland. Doesn't work for me. But I had some other stuff which was very good but I can't remember what it was :rolleyes:

Although I'm from a wine dominated region I hate wine in all of it's forms. The only use I have for wine is for cooking.

it's not usually expensive....but all Australian beer is complete piss. I grew up drinking that battery acid so there's no hope in my going back. The seem to sell a lot of it elsewhere though. You can't even usually buy Fosters in a pub in Australia. It's normally the cheap crap sold in supermarkets.

At least the Irish actually drink Guinness, but refuse to do so if they're abroad as the exported version is pasteurised.

Tried some Absinth at a rock club couple of weeks before when I was in Finland. Doesn't work for me. But I had some other stuff which was very good but I can't remember what it was :rolleyes:

The asbinthe you drank here most probably wasn't "real" absinthe at all. It's the same colour, tastes somewhat same, but has very little or no tujon at all. That's the ingredient that makes you see fairies :) To get real Absinthe here in Finland, one has to order it from abroad :/

My personal favorites are tequila, whiskey (I'm a poor-ass bum so preferably Jameson :)), jäger and of course any good beer. One of my recent favourites has been a drink called "kossupiimä", which is made with piimä (it's kinda like really sour milk) and Koskenkorva Viina (a Finnish 38% booze made of grain, can be replaced with anything similiar). The preferable mixture is 50-50. Tastes great and keeps your stomach in shape! :)

Jameson is kind of expensive here, so people thing it´s a good whiskey, but I´ve been told that it´s the crap out there. Price actually do make overrated drinks. Any other examples? Is it Jack Daniels a nice whiskey?
Here a very good cachaça costs about 10 or 15 dollars, while 51 and Velho Barreiro costs less than 2 dollars.

The asbinthe you drank here most probably wasn't "real" absinthe at all. It's the same colour, tastes somewhat same, but has very little or no tujon at all. That's the ingredient that makes you see fairies :) To get real Absinthe here in Finland, one has to order it from abroad :/

My personal favorites are tequila, whiskey (I'm a poor-ass bum so preferably Jameson :)), jäger and of course any good beer. One of my recent favourites has been a drink called "kossupiimä", which is made with piimä (it's kinda like really sour milk) and Koskenkorva Viina (a Finnish 38% booze made of grain, can be replaced with anything similiar). The preferable mixture is 50-50. Tastes great and keeps your stomach in shape! :)

Koskenkorva is fucking brilliant with Irn Bru.

Jameson is kind of expensive here, so people thing it´s a good whiskey, but I´ve been told that it´s the crap out there. Price actually do make overrated drinks. Any other examples? Is it Jack Daniels a nice whiskey?

IMHO Jameson is a very good whiskey, although it isn't considered an especially fine one here. It costs around 23 euros for a 0.7l bottle. Nice, creamy, smooth taste, suits well for casual boozing :)

Jack is one of my favourites, too, but that one is also commonly considered a street bum drink here. Most of the whiskey enthusiasts I know don't even think it's real whiskey, but I don't give a damn as long as I like the taste. Plus it makes you rock credible ;)

Koskenkorva is fucking brilliant with Irn Bru.

Sounds good! :headbang: Too bad I haven't seen Irn Bru anywhere on sale :/

Most of the whiskey enthusiasts I know don't even think it's real whiskey...

You can't really compare Jameson to Jack Daniels nor to any Scotch whiskey, since Jameson is Irish and Jack is a Tennessee. The percentage of cereals is different for every kind of whisky (Irish and American) or whiskey (Scotch), it's like comparing coke to seven up and to lemonade...
Jameson is an ok Irish, Jack Daniels is an ok Tennesse (although the single barrel Jack Daniels is pretty awesome).
I quite like single malt scotches like Glenmorangie and Glenkinchie, and also Caol Ila.

As for rhums (which are my favourite), I absolutely LOVE Zacapa 23 anos, and Santa Teresa 1796.

Italians love Beck's beer, which is really piss, but it's famous so "drink up". Carlsberg and Heineken are almost as famous, but way better, IMHO.
Don't know if anyone has ever tried Menabrea, an awesome Italian beer (3 times gold medal and 3 times silver at the world beer championship in Chicago!)

Jack is one of my favourites, too, but that one is also commonly considered a street bum drink here. Most of the whiskey enthusiasts I know don't even think it's real whiskey, but I don't give a damn as long as I like the taste. Plus it makes you rock credible ;)

I hate Jack.

JD/Southern comfort/Jim Beam etc are bourbons, not real WHiskey.

I prefer them cause they're cheap and you don't feel wasteful mixing them.

REAL whisky however, is to be savoured. Mixing it is sacrilege.

JD/Southern comfort/Jim Beam etc are bourbons, not real WHiskey.

Well, actually Jack isn't even Bourbon, it's just Tennessee, as stated above. It's similar, but it's filtering process differs. AFAIK there are only two Tennessee brands on the market. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

I think it's safe to call jack, james etc. whiskeys (or whiskys, in my language there isn't a difference) since everyone knows what we're talking about anyway :)

+1000

same with ice...no ice, no coke!! (just 1/3rd of pure water )

Agreed. I hate coke in any alcoholic beverage, and mixing it with a good whiskey is pure blasphemy. I personally don't dig adding water into whiskey either, even though I've been told that just a few drops of room temperature water opens up the aromas nicely. Fuck, I'm probably just ignorant :D

Well, actually Jack isn't even Bourbon, it's just Tennessee, as stated above. It's similar, but it's filtering process differs. AFAIK there are only two Tennessee brands on the market. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

I think it's safe to call jack, james etc. whiskeys (or whiskys, in my language there isn't a difference) since everyone knows what we're talking about anyway :)

I jsut call it "liquid baws" (JD)

....even though I've been told that just a few drops of room temperature water opens up the aromas nicely.....

it does

for me it's either to be a good single malt scotch or a fine irish...
the scotchs are a bit "smokey" and the irishs smoother.....depends on my mood (or whoever is visiting my place here ;) )