OzzFest 2005

thraxx

You'll Be in Hell With ME
Nov 23, 2002
www.anthrax.com
I didn't Attend:yell:
But here's the Review from another Board i am on.......

OZZFEST 2005
Shoreline Ampetheatre Calif.
August 13, 2005

Another yearly installment of Ozzfest made it's stop to the Bay Area, but the weather conditions began un-summer like as grey skies was the theme for the morning (kinda great for some of us that luv to wear black. :lol ) At 9:15 am the long line was moving quite well, but not fast enough to miss the first couple tunes by ARCH ENEMY who was bumped up to open the festivities over the originally scheduled act IT DIES TODAY.

Some to enjoy, but not much take home from the Swedes as they were here and gone before you knew it. Not much could be said about TRIVIUM as this reviewer checked the merch stand and took in a polish dog breakfast. Next up was THE BLACK DHALIA MURDER, or what was thought to be as they performed three tunes and surrendered the stage to scheduled openers IT DIES TODAY so they could perform their bland emocore.

After a quick five minute change, THE HAUNTED performed what would be the best performance on the outdoor parking lot stage. With the feeling of being in the presence of Bay Area which spawned many thrash acts of the eighties, bassist Jonas Björler and drummer Per M. Jensen found it fitting to don EXODUS logo shirts. A very nice guesture indeed, but enough of the self promotion, it was all about intensity the HAUNTED gave.

A mohawk shaved Peter Dolving was all over the place, he even shared an un-conventional moment by ridding his rock shirt and shorts and singing in a leather speedo with a big zipper in the front during the last number. Not a preference of this reviewer, but it was worth a chuckle.

Haunted setlist:

Dark Intenstion
Bury Your Dead
In Vein
All Against All
No Compromise

The performnances BURY YOUR DEAD, WICKED WISDOM and GIZMACHI weren't witnessed by Muah as I spent the precious time during their sets, lining up for ARCH ENEMY and THE HAUNTED at the Jagermeister autograph tent (and found it more rewarding.)

Next up was the disappointing peformance of SOILWORK. One has to ask "what went wrong?" With great weapons in their older disography, all that was casted aside so they could perform material off the disappointing new effort, "Stabbing The Drama." It was kinda cool to see TESTAMENT's Chuck Billy make a cameo, but even that couldn't save the disappointment overall.

By passing the "not worth mentioning" A DOZEN FURIES, it was time for MASTODON who didn't disappoint (with the exception of those that "don't get it.") Brutal was MASTODON, while it was a different approach from THE HAUNTED's attack, it was still accomplished some excitement. They even dedicated a number to Bay Area residents HIGH ON FIRE.

Again more "not worth mentioning" moments from AS I LAY BORED and KILLSWITCH ENGAGED. Closing out the outdoor parking lot stage was Mr. ROB ZOMBIE. It was kinda sad that once Mr. ZOMBIE was on top of the alternative genre, now the fans go through the motions showing their appreciation for Mr. ZOMBIE's "hits." (during mid-way of that set, it was time to find my seat.)

IN FLAMES would begin the main stage, but one would have to question if being on the main stage was supposed to be rewarding as IN FLAMES were only restricted to 20 minutes as opposed to mundane acts like KILLSWITCH ENGAGED getting 40 minutes on the parking lot stage and serving as IN FLAMES opening act last year at the Avalon Ballroom. You have to ask, "where's the justice in that?"

Anyways, IN FLAMES has seen better moments and seeing them peform half of the short setlist with "Soundtrack To Your Escape" tunes for 20 minutes, wasn't one of 'em. This reviewer was yearning for such numbers like "Bullet Ride," "Embody The Invisible ," or "Episode 666," but the cries fell on deaf ears. At least the effort was still there aside from the song selection.

IN FLAMES setlist:
Cloud Connected
Pinball Map
Touch Of Red
Soundtrack
My Sweet Shadow

To sum up the BLACK LABEL SOCIETY was one, long, BORING vibroto. C'mon man, how long does it take to end a song? We know Mr. Wylde is an accomplished musician, but wouldn't it be more appropriate to fit in another song, instead of ending each song with a 10 minute guitar solo? Bah to that, time to head for the bar.

Next up was SHADOWS FALL. I wasn't quite impressed with their performance at the Grand last year, but they were definitely an improvement over that show. Again, not much to be said about MUNDANE except the beer was tasting quite good as their *censored* sounds fell un-noticed from the broadcast at the bar.

Next up was the grand return of MAIDEN. It was a glorious return of the old as "The Ides Of March" served as the intro and the band launched ino "Murders In The Rue Morgue." Most of the front were left holding themselves as they weren't ready to relish in the ectasy of the "Killers" tune as they awaited for more recognizable numbers like "The Trooper" or "Run To The Hills."

"Phantom Of The Opera" was long lost friend as was the encores of "Running Free" and "Sanctuary." Mr. Dickenson was definitely in an outspoken mood as he voiced his rebellion against the organized seating of the Shoreline Ampetheater and the politics of the American music market. As THE HAUNTED dominated the outdoor stage, as did MAIDEN did on the main stage.

MAIDEN setlist

Intro: The Ides Of March
Murders In the Rue Morgue
The Trooper
Revelation
Phantom Of The Opera
Run To The Hills
Number Of The Beast
Hallowed By Thy Name
Iron Maiden
------------------------
ENCORE:
Running Free
Sanctuary

With on-line reports of OzzY cancelling three shows because his throat giving out on him and his annoucement last Friday that he won't headline anymore shows at Ozzfest anymore, there was an uncertainty if BLACK SABBATH would even play Mountain View this weekend, but lucky for us, the "SAB four" made the roster.

For me, a deeper appreciation for this performance that this might be the last time seeing SABBATH in the Bay Area contrary to the reports. The band was solid. OzzY was in strong voice (although some croaks occured during "Dirty Women" but nothing major) and definitely put his all in to the performance. In making one announcement of appreciation to the crowd, he didn't even deny that his vocals could crap out on him. The Master Iommi was in epic form, laying the riffs that influenced many. The rhythm section of Butler and Ward were the heavy back end as you'd expect to accompany Iommi's riffs. The only 'non-mention' would be the keyboardist that would lay hidden on stage left (unless you were on the right side like me :lol )

SABBATH did change things up on the setlist compared to last year, but it wasn't a dramatic change as most of the numbers weren't that challanging as most would appear on the "Reunion" live album. Still, it was nice to hear the riffs of "Symptom Of The Universe" (even tho if felt like a tease.)

SABBATH setlist

N.I.B.
After Forever
War Pigs
Dirty Women
Faries Wear Boots
Symptom Of The Universe/Sweet Leaf (medley, no vocals)
Electric Funeral
Iron Man
Black Sabbath
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (partial)
Paranoid
------------------------------------
ENCORE:
Children Of The Grave