paddy is asking about the band slipknot

Black Core said:
At least some ppl have common sence :) , although I don't agree with that about pantera
Maybe I'm not clear enough for the crowd here:

Slipknot aren't bad, but they most certainly are not good, nor is there an even remote possibility that will ever be great.

They're mediocre space-filler. They're also largely irrelevant. They appeal to the tastes of the Crowd. They're good at mass appeal. Artistically, they're inert.

Pantera is even worse than them, largely due to their own pretensions of considering themselves to be a "great" "metal" band. Pantera is so much more laughably irrelevant than Slipknot as to make the latter band appear to be Renaissance men.

Progress is an illusion.

Did you even read what I wrote? What the Crowd denotes as "good" does not make it so. Crowds are incapable of defining something to be "good" unless it is solely on the basis of it's appeal to the lowest common denominator of the Crowd's expectations. Crowds do not understand "art", they understand entertainment. Look around you here, and I'm sure many such people will be quick to jump all over statements like this and inform you that this is what metal is supposed to be, since this is all of the brainpower that they approach and invest the genre with. They will in turn make sweeping universal statements that all people view it this way, and anyone who says differently offends their selfhood, which they wrapped up in their love of the entertainment metal affords them. People always get offended when they are told that their tastes are inferior from a higher point of view, that their are better things out there which have simply escaped their notice, or are beyond their comprehension.

Or are you just trolling?

Blaphbee said:
Progress is an illusion.

Did you even read what I wrote? What the Crowd denotes as "good" does not make it so. Crowds are incapable of defining something to be "good" unless it is solely on the basis of it's appeal to the lowest common denominator of the Crowd's expectations. Crowds do not understand "art", they understand entertainment. Look around you here, and I'm sure many such people will be quick to jump all over statements like this and inform you that this is what metal is supposed to be, since this is all of the brainpower that they approach and invest the genre with. They will in turn make sweeping universal statements that all people view it this way, and anyone who says differently offends their selfhood, which they wrapped up in their love of the entertainment metal affords them. People always get offended when they are told that their tastes are inferior from a higher point of view, that their are better things out there which have simply escaped their notice, or are beyond their comprehension.

Or are you just trolling?

didn't even bother reading that shit
go post in the philosipher thread if you talk about illusion
and yes, I'm a troll

Do we really need a serious discussion into the merits of the music of Slipknot? Isn't that a wasted effort, Blaphbee?

Dodens Grav said:
Do we really need a serious discussion into the merits of the music of Slipknot? Isn't that a wasted effort, Blaphbee?
It's no use since everyone has a diffrent opinion that can't be changed

Blaphbee said:
Maybe I'm not clear enough for the crowd here:

Slipknot aren't bad, but they most certainly are not good, nor is there an even remote possibility that will ever be great.

They're mediocre space-filler. They're also largely irrelevant. They appeal to the tastes of the Crowd. They're good at mass appeal. Artistically, they're inert.

Pantera is even worse than them, largely due to their own pretensions of considering themselves to be a "great" "metal" band. Pantera is so much more laughably irrelevant than Slipknot as to make the latter band appear to be Renaissance men.

pantera has no fucking opinions of themselves, they dont exist anymore
they are not irrelevant they influenced metal immensly and continue to this day.
something you have to realize about metal around this time: metal had little exposure and few bands. metallica, slayer, iron maiden were around but underground metal didn't exist.
pantera was underground in this time period and set the stage for underground metal. they didn't get airplay, no rotation on mtv, they didn't even get exposure here in texas. they fought and earned all the recognition they got and yes, they are overrecognized because dimebag died, and i am getting sock and fucking tired of the rip dimebag dumbasses, but they are not shit and they are not glam. i hate shit like in this river by bls(yet i love that band)and the fucking rip dimebag shirt everyone seems to have, but i still love pantera. you people are dumbasses sometimes

seriously. if anyone can tell me how the fuck they got to be called glamtera and convince me of it i will leave and stay gone

lets see if anyone can, but i seriously doubt it

come on KMADD, doden, susperia, al bundy. let's see what you got:heh:

ender7227 said:
seriously. if anyone can tell me how the fuck they got to be called glamtera and convince me of it i will leave and stay gone

I DONT KNOW MAYBE BECAUSE THEY PUT OUT FOUR FULL LENGTH GLAM METAL ALBUMS?! :Smug:

ender7227 said:
haven't heard them
whatever

That's a really shit rebuttal. The fact is, the band was glam metal before Cowbows and recorded 4 albums under that style. That's why the name fits.

This thread is great though.