Paganfest '08!!!

DoomsdayZach

The Professor was right
Dec 11, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.doomsdaymusic.com
Anyone else been hitting this up / planning to? It's seriously the best tour of the year. Here's my review from a seattle forum (sorry, leaving the names of people you don't know in there because i don't want to edit it).

Oakhelm were the local openers, Suidakra is doing 6 dates on this tour which rules over all.

Oakhelm - Amazing, as always. One of the dudes had a broken wrist (he said he demanded the doctor take the cast off that day or he said he'd do it himself haha... fucking awesome!) but they still did a great job. I was trying to headbang and sing along as much as possible to show my support for our only worthy locals to open this show. None other would have worked.

Suidakra - I remember standing there about halfway through the first song when it hit me that I was watching fucking SUIDAKRA. I had a bit of a surreal moment where i just had to stop for a second and take it in. It was just beyond all words. They fucking owned though, and even though the vocals may not have been perfectly on key, it was just amazing. The energy was all that it needed (and that's pretty much how the entire show was).

Eluveitie - This was the band I most wanted to see because I honestly never thought that I would see this band live. Overwhelming, not to mention the hurdygurdy player was super hot. It was killer to see chicks circular headbanging onstage and not bitching out to try and keep their hair all nice *coughsimonecough*. Easily the best set of the night for me, which is saying a lot. Just incredible... i really hope this band sticks to their guns.

Tyr - The crowd wasn't getting into it, but I told the crowd to fuck off. I was singing along to the three songs I knew and headbanging... they were fantastic. Heri said they'd be back in September/October with a longer set, and I will definitely be there!

Turisas - I have to say that I was initially a bit disappointed with them. Maybe that's the wrong word, but I wish they wouldn't have used so many backing tracks (though i understand the music is very epic and needs some of that). Still, it wasn't long before I was completely drawn in, and one of my favorite moments was turning to Throdstock Josh during To Holmgard and Beyond to say "MANY DANGERS LIE AHEAD! SOME OF US MAY NEVER RETURN!" It was also fun dancing to Rasputin, even thoguh i honestly don't really like that song, it was great live. Very, very fun.

Ensiferum - I got talked into staying for a few songs by Jeremiah and Russel and I am glad I did. This was the band that I'm least excited about on the tour and least familliar with, and I maintain that stance that they were the low point of the night. That said, they just slayed on the few songs I saw. I honestly don't understand why people give the new dude so much shit... listening to the s/t Ensiferum album compared to last night really didn't make me see much of a difference... both are entirely competant vocalists and do great on the material, but I guess for people who are more into the band it makes all the difference.

I've said it many times since last night and I will continue to... this was the best show I've ever seen and I honestly don't know that Maiden nor Heaven and Hell can top it. The intimacy, the energy, the intensity... it was too much fun. Even though i felt like i was going to puke for most of the night, it didn't stop me from singing, headbanging, and working my way up front for most of the evening.

Wow, that seems to have been a totally awesome show. Actually only band of those I know, is Ensiferum.

And you say that the new singer/guitarist (the dude from Northern) is as good as Jari Mäenpää!? No fucking way, and it's not just about the growls. I mean, Jari is a decent growler, but the new one I dislike. The thing is tho, that the new singer has no variation. Jari could sing clean in different ways, scream and whatever. ALSO, he is 15 times better guitarist (actually very underrated guitarist) AND writes good songs.

But yeah, I guess the newest Ensiferum album wasn't bad at all, but I just pretty much listen to the first two. Besides, first Wintersun (Jari Mäenpää) album was better than any Ensiferum album to my eyes.

Anyway, maybe I should check some of those bands who played there. What would you recommend the most? (Hard to tell as you praised everyone :p)

Tyr is more midpaced, but check out Ragnarok. Fantastic album! Eluveitie is insane, basically folk metal dark tranquillity. Spirit is great and Slania is also excellent.

And my friends just called and I'm going to portland for night 2 of paganfest! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Zach
Definetly gotta check that stuff out whenever I have time then. (Busy week so it seems like next weekend)

I went to the UK gig, Was fukken epic aye.

Although we got Korpiklaani and Moonsorrow instead of Suidakra and Turisas.

May or may not go this weekend..would kind of like to hang around home with my kids since we've been gone for a week, but we'll see..

I took a few pictures, most were blurry or just all the same. So I'll only post the two most significant ones.

Epic one of Moonsorrow
l_fb0b4cfe875311f6ceace5b96bcf1959.jpg

Ensiferum
l_d345d5e13c56db15f6fc138d48d0f46a.jpg

I love this kind of stuff. I wanted to go to this. Oh, and Zach, I like that hurdygurdy player too, :D that instrument is totally awesome to. There's this other band called HoityToity (also from Switzerland) with all kinds of cool instruments like that. They pretty awesome too, its not metal but more like medieval/celtic. You can't find any info about them anywhere though...

Listening to Eluveitie-Inis Mona right now....

OMG, fuckn' epic! How did I not ever hear these guys before!? Man....that dude knows how to shred on some bagpipes...

I loved Tyr again. I was one of the three dudes a few people back that was headbanging and singing along with every word at the portland show. I literally got a call at work from my buddies who were on their way down for round two from seattle and I left work to go to the show. Totally worth it!

So i caught the tour at two dates, both times slayed ridiculous amounts of ass. the new Tyr song is both incredibly catchy and just killer... i cannot WAIT for the new album to be released!!!

I saw you. I was wearing my Moonsorrow "Havitetty" shirt (last album artwork).

Great choice on the Helloween shirt by the way :D

Did you see the dude in the Einherjer shirt? It was the brown longsleeve... i seriously just about crapped my pants when i saw it. So unfair... i want it :(